Gull gray paint match

On 7/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, Reddog-03 said:

What's the closest Tamiya acrylic match for Light Gull Gray?

Light Gull Gray as in FS36440?  If yes, I came up with a perfect match to the actual color chip by mixing three different Tamiya colors.

Here you go:

TamiyaMixes.jpg.a2007ea1559563d01cf7f0b19843c7cb.jpg

I sprayed half the spoon with Tamiya X-22 clear gloss to see if it still matches, and it still does, maybe even better.

Anyhow, the mix requires four different Tamiya acrylics and not three as mentioned above.  I've sent you the recipe via PM.  Enjoy.

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

Here you go:

I sprayed half the spoon with Tamiya X-22 clear gloss to see if it still matches, and it still does, maybe even better.

Anyhow, the mix requires four different Tamiya acrylics and not three as mentioned above.  I've sent you the recipe via PM.  Enjoy.

Wow looks great. Could you post the mix please. Thanks. Of ocurse I could just wait until my hobby shop gets in the Tamiya Lacquers for this colour but in the meantime your mix would be great.

12 hours ago, RichardL said:

You guys are forcing me to give away my trade secret.  Here it is after many hours of bloodshed:

Thanks - although the color actually varies to some extent in real life, it's always better to start with the closest approximation.

Now, what do you do for "white"?

38 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

Now, what do you do for "white"?

2 parts white + 1 part white + a drop or two (depending on quantity mixed) of white

Gets pretty close for me.

Going back to my ward now :whistle:

22 hours ago, RichardL said:

Here you go:

Thanks!  That looks like it should work.   I'll give it a try.   For airbrushing do you thin with X-20A or do you have your own home-brew formula?

there are some pretty good matches right out of the the bottle for the 3 USN Whites used over the years.

Richard might know the best matches for mixing Tamiya paints for them, I can't help anyone much, all of my matches to those three colors are Out of Production paints,,,,,,well, except the easy one, the 17925 is available from a lot of sources, including 8 ounce bottles from Anita's Acrylics.

Hi all,

Why not use Gunze (from memory) 315. Unlike Tamiya they list the corresponding FS codes which makes life much easier if you ask me. I usually dillute with 40% white or so for 1/48th which I think gives a nice very, very, very light grey finish.

Best regards all.

11 hours ago, serendip said:

Hi all,

Why not use Gunze (from memory) 315. Unlike Tamiya they list the corresponding FS codes which makes life much easier if you ask me. I usually dillute with 40% white or so for 1/48th which I think gives a nice very, very, very light grey finish.

Gunze 315 would work, but you don't want to mix it with pure white though.  Mix 315 with Gunze H21 Off White instead since Light Gull Gray has a hint of yellow tint to it.

Richard: thanks a lot for sharing your LGG mix! 

To the Gunze fans: why not use Gunze 315? Good idea, but it’s not in any shop close to me. I’m not mail ordering paint and I don’t want to diversify the range I use any further.

Edited by andrew.deboer
Formatting

Thanks for the tip Richard, I'll give that a try.

BTW, I'm buliding my Tamiya F-14A gear up. Everything pretty much fit very nicely even though as you all know the kits' not designed for this.

Anyone want my gear bits for postage costs?

Richard, I'll give that a shot. I'm curious how you can disseminate all the colours out of the grey - do you use a chart? I had no idea there was a touch of yellow in the USN Gull Grey but now that you mention it I can kind of pick up on that So, do you go by ear on this 😉, or do you have RGB proportions or the like?

Thanks,

I don't know which color system Richard is using, but, RGB doesn't work with physical pain mixing. (only for computer screen "virtual" colors)

If you go in knowing which Gray, White or Black is actually on the Munsell pages as a Yellow, Blue, Green, Green-yellow, or Purple-Blue,,,you can see what paint tinting you need to do to reach the "Very Light Olive" color of Light Gull Gray. (based on 36440 being a gray with GY numbers,,,,,which puts it on the Green-Yellow page, instead on the N for Neutral grays)

You can do this in person, with paints, without all the equipment,,,,,,by mixing up cards to different ratios, comparing them to the paint chip, and keeping the one that matches. (FSM told how to do this back in the Eighties, with Floquil paints) Just always write your ratio on the cards, never "re-mix" after taking paint out of a mixture, and keep all the cards for later, you might get lucky and have a mix already carded for another color down the road.

Just do 10 drops ABC, 2 drops XYZ, and 9 drops ABC, 2 drops XYZ, etc,,,,,changing the ratios by one drop per mixing cup as you go,,,,,,,,paint them all on cards, let dry until the pigments have all migrated, compare to FS cards, BS, RAL or chips in your favorite color book. (or to match decal colors)

ps, you don't even need an actual standard,,,,,,for example, if you have a favorite Light Gull Gray paint from some paint company, sometime before they discontinue that paint, make a card,,,,,,,then you can mix to that card when you are forced to change paint brands.

You could even do that with Richard's mix,,,,you don't have to like Tamiya paints, buy just what colors you need to get his mixture, card it out, and give/sell the used paints to a friend,,,,,then mix your favorite paint to match the Tamiya card you made.

Edited by Rex