Eduard 1/48 Harrier GR.9:UPDATE : 8/18/18: DECALING UNDERWAY

Eduard 1/48 Harrier GR.7/9

Limited Edition

Harrier GR.9 ZD 406, Royal Navy Strike Wing

RAF Station Cottesmore, 2009

For the most part I've been a large scale builder but on my brother Joel's suggestion I starting alternating scales for a variety of reasons: subject, time and space. So before tackling my next 32nd scale subject, I've wanted to add Harrier to the collection and with the Eduard kit in the stash, it was a no brainer.

I normally start build threads with the customary box and fret photos and what ever AM will be added. For the Harrier, I just dove in and didn't take any photographs until the fuselage was assembled, as I wasn't really sure I was actually going to do a build thread. My apologies for being so indecisive.

The value of the Eduard Edition as compared the Hasegawa kit, which is the backbone of this edition is all the PE, some resin and beautiful Cartograf decals included to bring the kit closer to todays kits. When it comes to the actual plastic: Hasegawa's is my favorite! Please excuse the photography but I'm really doing this a bit backwards and some of the work is already hidden from view.

As per the instructions, all the raised details for the front office were removed and everything was replaced with Eduard's color PE. The IP was done with Micro Krystal Kleer instead of CCA as the rest of the office PE. The ejection seat is resin replaced version, with some PE for the belts and placard: really nice. The seat was dry brushed with Apple Barrel Dove Gray Acrylic paint I've had for close to 30 years and does the job so very well.

Assembly to this point has been straight forward with the fit pretty good with only a bit of sanding and filler needed. Being a newbie to the Harrier, some of the part placement was a bit strange and a lot of external PE will be added just before priming, as I know I'll knock off most of it if added sooner.

The giant air intake and compressor fan was a very delicate fit and took a few tries to get it right and required removing the 'glued in fan assembly ducting' twice a trick bit of work.

Paints used to this point:

The front Office: Mr Color Flat Black

Ejection seat and cushions: hand mixed Model Air colors to period photos

Intake ducting and compressor blade:

Primer: AK Gray Primer and Micro Filler Primer

Mr Color Gloss White

The intake gloss white is perfectly smooth with no need for any clear gloss or polishing.

The main fuselage was a strange assembly and needed a bit of tweaking. The tail assembly was also a lot of small parts, allowing for different Harrier versions to be offered and needed some sanding to get the fit right. At this point, I replaced all the panel lines that were lost sanding the seams smooth.

The upper wing, LEX and forward fuselage are just resting in place for the photos and tomorrow, will be glued up in place.

Next up:

Adding the wings, tailplanes and starting the gear.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

gumf2k.jpg

C8bxCx.jpg

Y5qsbl.jpg

hIlrl9.jpg

CLffgl.jpg

vbmCyE.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Bro,

I guess it's only fitting that I have the honor of the 1st post of many builds to follow here on ARC. 

Excellent start with your usual concentration paying dividends to the pit. My only question is why is the seat cushion a different color green then the backrest cushion?  As for the Gloss White intake, it does look pretty smooth. 

Looking forward to your next update.

Bro

JA

Thanks for checking in and seems all the small sub assemblies are coming together. Yup, Mr Color is amazing paints and produces the best gloss finish money can buy! As far as the seat goes, I worked form color photos for the cushion colors and I'm sure the three daylight OTT lamps did brighten up the colors a bit.

Bro

3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

JA

No, they are different colors as the cushions are changed periodically

Bro

Bro,

makes a lot of sense. but being in the prop camp, seat cushions were frowned on.

Bro

Hey 🙂 I would say "nice start" but i realized it's just about the right time for painting. Btw i built this same kit some time ago... and i think you know the topic, but here is the full build video, for just in case... for inspiration, if you have the time... it's nearly an hour long. Cheerz! 

Edited by my favs are F`s

Milan

I’ve watched your video at least three times in the past and once again this morning ... each time I see and learn more and more. Absolutely one of the most brilliant builds I’ve ever seen.

Inspiring doesn’t come close

Peter 

Edited by Peterpools
6 hours ago, my favs are F`s said:

Hey 🙂 I would say "nice start" but i realized it's just about the right time for painting. Btw i built this same kit some time ago... and i think you know the topic, but here is the full build video, for just in case... for inspiration, if you have the time... it's nearly an hour long. Cheerz! 

Your video is ok, but your build threads here on ARC are excellent. Easy to follow with more explanation.

Hi Peter,
I built one of these way back when I first started with the hobby and found the modular construction to be a real test of my abilities.
Of course , you seem to be making real bang-up job of it.
That huge fan is looking very nice indeed. Great looking cockpit too.

C.O.

Much appreciated and so far am finding exactly the same. Fit is close but still no cigar. Right now I/m thinking the key fit is the compressor blade/intake assembly and it's easy to be of just a bit and after that, there is "trouble in paradise'

Peter

Thommo

Much appreciated. I’m discovering the hard part of that assembly was having it installed perfectly and I think, now that I’m down the road, I might have been off a bit,  as it has caused a few fit issues. I’m planning on a nice update this weekend

Peter :thumbsup: