Eduard 1/48 Harrier GR.9:UPDATE : 8/18/18: DECALING UNDERWAY

UPDATE: 8/3/18: ALMOST READY FOR PRIMING

As I am almost ready to hit the priming stage, I completed the major assemblies and started to add a number of the PE parts and small plastic details that would be a pain after painting to add. As careful as I could be, after numerous test fitting parts and assemblies, I've encountered some nasty fit issue., I'm not sure why and I'm sure somewhere I was off a bit, after also tweaking everything until it looked right. The three piece wing assembly, the LEX and the cockpit turtle deck, fit issues galore. Parts just didn't fit and after a lot of muscle, still required a lot of trimming to fit and that was going to now throw some other assemblies out of wack a bit later on.

The forward leading intakes assemblies with the blow-in doors were also off a bit and somehow I had the feeling the troubles started with the main intake fuselage duct and compressor blade assembly and how the assembly went in. I removed it twice, working the fit the best I could at at that stage,as it did look correct. Just seems there weren't enough positive location points and just the slightest of errors and presto zingo: there is trouble in paradise! Next, the forward fuselage assemblies was a struggle to fit and that could only be from intake assembly also slightly off.

The refueling boom assembly was a nightmare – the fit was horrendous and I used what seemed like a pound of Milliput to fill in the gaps, that you could have sailed a battleship through.

With a lot of sanding, filling, sanding and scribing, I have everything together and looking correct; fingers crossed. The glass is just strating to be fitmin various places but I'm getting there.

A small rant is now in order: for what the kit cost, I can't find fault with Hasegawa as it's not a new kit but I certainly can with Eduard. I don't know how clear or accurate Hasegawa;s instructions were but Eduard's leave a lot to be desired. Where parts go at times is a guess and flip the Harrier over and the stores are a mess of uncertainty. I'm sure a combination of of stores can be set up, but how about a loadout diagram to help us poor Yanks unfamiliar with RAF Harriers and stores? I have found some of the PE pieces are a bit to thin to represent the part they are replacing (some antennas but not all).

At this pint, I had only one run in with the carpet monster and needed to scratch out a few vents I lost.

I also decided to add the four outer wing pylons now and will add the balance after painting and decaling.

Next up:

Finishing all the glass, wind screen and canopy, then final clean upo and it's priming time.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

ufPYJI.jpg

4jG3Q1.jpg

Pl0Wv6.jpg

4ZwJAI.jpg

zZ4pIO.jpg

sX9ZES.jpg

Bro,

Nice job on blending in t hat refueling boom. The LEX  fits flush now. Looking forward to what she looks like with a coat of nice gray primer. 

You already know my rant of instructions, so I'll leave it at that.

Bro

JA

Much appreciated and right with you on the instructions plus the cost factor. Still have a bit of work to accomplish this weekend before priming:

Blend in the nose glass, add and blend in the sensor glass on top of the nose, add the details to the front windscreen, remove the center mold line and then all the usual masking chores and then it's priming time!

Bro :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Next up:

Finishing all the glass, wind screen and canopy, then final clean up * and it's priming time.

*, a whole load of masking, including  those secondary intakes

Looking good Peter. Pity you had to fit the refuelling probe/housing due to fit issues. Probably going to be a pain spraying under port LERX.

Regards

John.

Hi Anthony

Made my day by stopping by and checking out the Harrier’s progress. Always appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Right now, she is primed and color cotes are underway and maybe another update this weekend if enough progress has been made.

Peter :thumbsup: 

Wow, just getting caught up on this build. It seems you had quite the battle getting her to this stage Peter. With the primer applied you'll be able to see if you won that battle, keep up the great work.

Steve

Good job with the construction. It drove me to kill my first attempt at this kit. There are some tricks building this kit (intakes and wing fit) from others online builds that seem to help. I have multiple Harrier kits so before long I will give it a go again. I’m sure your build will get that mojo flowing. 

Keep up the progress!!

Collin

Edited by Collin
Spelling

That's some quick progress Peter. 
She's looking the part.
I seem to remember that the rotatable nozzles were a bit of a squeeze to get in place.
I had to do a bit of sanding and dry fitting to ensure that I could get them in after painting without damage.

-co

Thanks Collin

Right with you. Priming and air brush work is done. getting ready for Mr Color Super Gloss and decaling.

Right now my biggest 'Heads Up' to anyone getting ready to tackle the Hasegawa/Eduard Harrier. read the instructions and high lite the assemblies that should NOT be done in the instruction sequence. I'm pretty sure the most important fit issue is the intake/compressor fan assembly and how perfect you get it plus making sure it's dead center when glued into the fuselage. It's the key to all my fit issues.

UPDATE: 8/12/18: PRIMING AND AIR BRUSHING – DONE

It's been a busy week and lots of bench time.

First up, the windshield needed the moldline removed, polished and then the Eduard mask set added. Easy and went on well but it only covers the outside circumference and additional Tamiya tape is needed to complete the job.

The glass nose tip was painted on the interior surface, glued in place with CCA, sanded and polished. Of course being so small and my clumsy hands in no way could mask it with tape, for the very first time I tried  Mr Masking Sol Neo and I'm hoping I did it right. Of course, there will be no way to know until the very end of the build .. oh what joy!

The intakes were masked and it was time to move the Harrier into the paint booth.

Priming: The Harrier was primed with Mr Surfacer 1200, thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner and Mr Color Color Retarder to insure the primer went down level and super smooth. Somewhere during priming I decided to change paint schemes and went with Harrier ZD 464/54, 20 (R) Squadron, RAF Wittering Air Base, 2002 with a gloss blue tail. 2/3 of the way through painting and with the gloss blue tail also done, I changed my mind again and went back to my original build plan, which required scrapping the painting scheme I just nearly finished and back to square one.

The tail was painted Mr Color 316: FS17875 Gloss White and then to my astonishment, I didn't have Mr Color 335 – Medium Sea Gray in the paint stash for the fuselage. Nothing much to do but switch gears and I pulled out the correct MRP Medium Sea Gray. Even though both paints are lacquers, I shoot them quite differently, so I had to keep the old brain focused a bit more then usual.

All was going well and my first BIG mistake hit me smack dab between the eyes: following the instruction's build sequence, I had installed 4 of the 8 pylons and now painting the yellow/green leading edges turning from what would have been a simple and easy walk in the park, into a nightmare.

First up, I didn't have the correct color but was able to make a the mix using MRP paints. Masking the upper surfaces was snap and went very quickly but masking around the leading edges and between the pylons was a tough go. Finally after what seemed like hours of masking I was ready to shoot some paint.

Second BIG mistake: Wait, not quite yet: The rear stabilizers needed to have the leading edges masked as well. Holy smokes – why in earth did I again follow the instructions and install them before painting? Now another simple masking job turned into a few more unnecessary work.

Finally the air brushing was done and no problems to report.

Wait, another easy masking job still needed to be done: the tail cone – now masked and painted Dark Green as per the instructions.

The shadow line on the leading edges is a photographic shadow line from how I positioned the lights. I tripled checked and there is no seam line on the model: whew! :clap2:

Next up:

Gloss and decals, the gear and wheel wells (?) and start the loadouts.

Thanks for checking in

oeUjW4.jpg

pxgA97.jpg

DiNn1w.jpg

LTnKq0.jpg

oWFCXV.jpg

oeUjW4.jpg

Bro,

The ends certainly justify the means, and your Harrier is really looking quite good. Why on Earth after all these mega  years of building models, and never following the instructions except for the Tamiya 1/32 scale props, would you opt to follow Hasegawa's instructions now? At least your finally where you should be.   As for the liquid mask I ordered the Sol R rather then the Neo. The only difference that I could find for the double of the price, is the Sol R can be trimmed and cut, while the Neo really can't be trimmed with a knife. 

Bro

JA

I thought reading instructions was not required and instructions should be all photos for us folks past 70 now days!

I have my fingers crossed the liquid mask will work built the way things have been going, who knows.

John spotted a another major blunder: the chaff and flare dispenser was installed backwards and I've already cut it off wit a micro saw, glued back into place and very carefully filling in the small gaps with Greenstuff.

Bro 🙃