Eduard 1/48 Harrier GR.9:UPDATE : 8/18/18: DECALING UNDERWAY

UPDATE; 8/18/18: DECALING IS UNDERWAY

Always pushing to make progress and of course; I made blunder number four in my zeal and I didn't even realize it until John  Wolstenholme pointed out that I had the chaff and flare dispenser installed backwards! What a boob I am!!

Normally when using Tamiya Extra Thin, parts can be popped off without much trouble and of course in this case it wouldn't, as the part is held in place with a plug that was very well secured with a boatload of Extra Thin. My only recourse was to cut the part off with a micro saw, sand and clean up the mess, then install the part correctly. When dry it required three applications of Squadron Green Putty to blend everything in, priming with Mr Surfacer 1200 and then a few light layers of MRP paint. All told a good amount of unnecessary of work if I hand my thinking hat on. Thanks John for pointing it out while I still had time to correct the error.

The Harrier was glossed with Mr Color Clear Gloss thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner plus some Mr Color Retarder: smooth, hard as nails and ready to go.

While I'm only at the beginning of the decal stage, I thought a quick update would keep things flowing as to where I am and break up the building sequence a bit.

Decals are by Cartograf and on their end, no problems. It was a bit of a pain to get the tail decal to lay down over the leading edge but so far, so good with a fair am amount of Micro Set and Sol. I'm sure I'll need a bit of touch up to blend the two sides together where they touch on the leading edge.

As decal work continues, I am finding a rather strange pattern: Eduard's decal and placement diagrams laid over some very nicely done scale drawing are showing a few short-comings with the kit:

Some panels and panels lines are missing or not in the correct place

The lower blowout doors have not been molded or even depicted with recessed panel lines. Either Eduard should have correct the kit or corrected the decal placement guide. Not a biggie but still a bit of a let down.

Next up:

More decaling and finishing up the canopy.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

nXQT0u.jpg

vMaTa2.jpg

The Chaff and flare fixed

k9Wzmr.jpg

Barkin Mad

You are 100%  correct. My fault ... the leading edges on my Harrier is now where as bright and intense yellow as in photographs. I always process my images in Lightroom and Photoshop (i shoot in RAW) and and should have toned down the yellow to what is actually is. Next update, I'll make sure the yellow is replicated as I painted it.

Peter :thumbsup:

Good save Peter, we’ve all been there at some point. The comments you make about the short comings of the kit are so contradictory, not by you, but by the manufacturer. They could get details like the leading edge kink and the shape of the pylons over ailerons (and flaps I assume) actuator fairing, but make such glaring errors. Reminds me of another manufacturer whose name I just can’t recollect! :rolleyes:

John.

Edited by John Wolstenholme
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:04 PM, Peterpools said:

progress a lot slower right now as some of the juices are wearing thin

What's happening Peter, is decaling not the best part? Please tell me you don't have 'a problem Houston'.

Regards

John

Edited by John Wolstenholme