1/35 Trumpeter CH-47D Chinook

This is the Trumpy 1/35 CH-47D Chinook. I actually started this way back in 2006, got bogged down with life and finally finished it a few months ago.

I modeled 84-24184 from B. Co. 159th AVN Regt 'Hercules' out of Hunter AAF in Savannah. It was the last helicopter I crewed before I ETS'd in 2000. I picked her up fresh from overhaul from CCAD (Corpus Christi Army Depot) 6 months before I got out. Fresh paint job, no oil stains, and no saggy sound proofing!

Along with Cobra Company's resin cockpit I scratch built the APU and ramp area details, added the blade bonding straps, Pubs and cargo straps storage boxes, trash can and ladder inside the cabin on the right side. Later I need to add a cooler with old red seat cushion cargo strapped in front of the cabin door we sat on for hours on end!

All in all I'm happy with the build, is it perfect? Absolutely not. Was is fun, Definitely! 

This is my first Large scale build and probably my last (THIS THING IS HUGE!!) but I've got several 1/48 "Dirty D's" waiting in the wings!!

bxFOWt.jpgfLpHgF.jpgvrY587.jpgI82Hut.jpgICgCTK.jpgQiWLuY.jpg4wfZZP.jpghvbtGK.jpg

Thanks guys! There’s things I wish I would’ve done better (silvered decals, exhaust seems, etc) but I learned a lot and it was a fun build.

Did I mention this thing is HUGE?

Edited by Hooker169

Did you take any pics of the top, looking down on it, and the bottom of the build?  Curious to see that part of the model.   I might have to pick this kit up, but I'd obsess over every inaccuracy and may never finish it.

If you ETS'd in 2000, you missed out on some much needed and welcomed improvements & mods, like the crash-worthy crew seats up front by the heater and avionics closets.  Made long cross-countries that much better.  My last assigned bird didn't go through overhaul when I had it, but it did get a new paint job at the Conn. AVCRAD.  I was finding and cleaning that plastic bead paint blasting crud for weeks afterwards.  In the last few years, I've been around factory fresh Fox models.  Boeing should bottle the "new helicopter smell" and make a cologne out of it.  Having had the horror of working on Charlie models for a few years as a base of comparison,  I can better appreciate the nuances of the Fox over the Delta models.  The big box of manuals is gone, replaced by a laptop.  C-5/C-17 tear downs are better in some ways because Boeing incorporated a few mods from the MH birds to the regular production CH birds. 

Were you still a 67U when you got out?  I don't exactly recall when all the 67 & 68 series all became 15xx...

Edited by Ishthe47guy
spelling
2 hours ago, Ishthe47guy said:

Were you still a 67U when you got out?  I don't exactly recall when all the 67 & 68 series all became 15xx.

Yup, sure was! A couple years later they changed over to the 15 series MOS.

As far as the top and bottom goes, I’ll see I can add some pics tonight. I know one of the ERFS tanks vent elbows is missing (I recall 2 left of the tunnel) and several smaller antennas on the bottom are missing. 

Also, Trumpeter got the cargo hooks mixed up. The forward and aft look good on details but are slightly oversized as the main hook is WAY undersized. It almost looks like an A model mid cargo hook!

And you’re right about obsessing over the details, prolly why it took me 12 years to finish it😜

It was also my first foray into scratch building and gave me a new appreciation for what the true scratch builders like Oliver are able to accomplish!

A monster of a kit that seems to eat your time I'd agree.

Great build and I agree it's a problem to store, however I don't regret building mine and even have a second one to build in the MERT role of the RAF, pure madness😂

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

A monster of a kit that seems to eat your time I'd agree.

Great build and I agree it's a problem to store, however I don't regret building mine and even have a second one to build in the MERT role of the RAF, pure madness😂

Wafu, you’ve got to post a pic of yours! It seems a lot of people have them in their stash, there just aren’t that many finished 1/35 Hooks out there.

I’ve also one more reserved but for the Werner Wings MH-47E conversion so I feel your pain!!

Very nice.  It came out great.

Too late for this one, but it may help others.  I did a tutorial on making the rear upper ramp portion retract.  

I started testing to see what it would take to get the upper ramp to retract into the lower one.  It was actually pretty simple.  Trump provided part of the parts.  In step 23, you attach parts B23 to the upper portion.  In step 32, you attach parts D23 and D24 on the lower ramp.  These parts make up part of the track that the upper ramp retracts on.  By modifying them and adding some track inside, you can retract it just like the real thing.  I first positioned parts B23 so that they stuck over the lower edge of the upper hatch by about 1/4".  On the lower ramp is most of the work.  On parts D23 and D24 for the inner rails, trim them about half of the way back to the curved cross member, angling the ends at a 45 degree angle with the longer parts going toward the ramp deck (G3).  For the outer D23 and D24 pieces, they also get trimmed to a 45 degree angle with the longer part terminating almost at the edge of G3.  Next, I trimmed down the curved cross member to the height of parts D23 and D24 so it would not interfere and removed the tabs sticking up between the track made up by the D23 and D24 parts.  Lastly, I extended the tracks back with "T" shaped Plastruct beams and elevated them with 3 pieces of .040 sheet styrene as shims to raise them slightly above level.  You can see the results below.  A perfectly rectracting upper rear hatch. 

CH-47A001.jpg

CH-47A002.jpg

CH-47A003.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
23 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Very nice.  It came out great.

Too late for this one, but it may help others.  I did a tutorial on making the rear upper ramp portion retract.  

I started testing to see what it would take to get the upper ramp to retract into the lower one.  It was actually pretty simple.  Trump provided part of the parts.  In step 23, you attach parts B23 to the upper portion.  In step 32, you attach parts D23 and D24 on the lower ramp.  These parts make up part of the track that the upper ramp retracts on.  By modifying them and adding some track inside, you can retract it just like the real thing.  I first positioned parts B23 so that they stuck over the lower edge of the upper hatch by about 1/4".  On the lower ramp is most of the work.  On parts D23 and D24 for the inner rails, trim them about half of the way back to the curved cross member, angling the ends at a 45 degree angle with the longer parts going toward the ramp deck (G3).  For the outer D23 and D24 pieces, they also get trimmed to a 45 degree angle with the longer part terminating almost at the edge of G3.  Next, I trimmed down the curved cross member to the height of parts D23 and D24 so it would not interfere and removed the tabs sticking up between the track made up by the D23 and D24 parts.  Lastly, I extended the tracks back with "T" shaped Plastruct beams and elevated them with 3 pieces of .040 sheet styrene as shims to raise them slightly above level.  You can see the results below.  A perfectly rectracting upper rear hatch. 

CH-47A001.jpg

CH-47A002.jpg

CH-47A003.jpg

Nice work on that ramp tongue, Gino! Very slick!

9 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Wafu, you’ve got to post a pic of yours! It seems a lot of people have them in their stash, there just aren’t that many finished 1/35 Hooks out there.

I’ve also one more reserved but for the Werner Wings MH-47E conversion so I feel your pain!!

Appologies, I thought I'd put it on ARC. Here's the link to my builds last year, it's the top one so you won't have to scramble through the whole page.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031902-woos-2017-builds/&tab=comments#comment-2916563

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

Appologies, I thought I'd put it on ARC. Here's the link to my builds last year, it's the top one so you won't have to scramble through the whole page.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235031902-woos-2017-builds/&tab=comments#comment-2916563

:jaw-dropping:

I HAVE seen you're builds before, Wafu! Very nice! What was you're impression of the Werner Wings conversion? Every time I open the box and look at it appears more and more intimidating.

4 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

:jaw-dropping:

I HAVE seen you're builds before, Wafu! Very nice! What was you're impression of the Werner Wings conversion? Every time I open the box and look at it appears more and more intimidating.

I would do another of Floyd's conversions at the drop of a hat, a. Just can't get hold of them, b. Can't really afford one at the moment even if he was still producing. Having said that the UK customs taxes drastically increase the import of all the great stuff you guys have, Floyd's conversions, Lone Star/Cobra stuff etc

So many cool things coming out, Kittyhawk Blackhawks have me mesmerised, especially with Black Ops nose and Floyd's decals. Tamiya F-14D is in my sights as well. 

Dont don't delay with the MH-47, it's a beast but can be trained to give a nice model, the biggest two fights I had was with the Trumpeter underside join and the canopy. With the canopy I opted to drill and file out the windows, after much polishing with every known polish, replacing them with the vac formed ones later provided by Floyd. Floyd was a big help in my build, supporting me through any niggles I had with my competency in tackling the build and I thank him for that.

Cheers The Woo.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:13 AM, Ishthe47guy said:

Did you take any pics of the top, looking down on it, and the bottom of the build?  Curious to see that part of the model.   I might have to pick this kit up, but I'd obsess over every inaccuracy and may never finish it.

If you ETS'd in 2000, you missed out on some much needed and welcomed improvements & mods, like the crash-worthy crew seats up front by the heater and avionics closets.  Made long cross-countries that much better.  My last assigned bird didn't go through overhaul when I had it, but it did get a new paint job at the Conn. AVCRAD.  I was finding and cleaning that plastic bead paint blasting crud for weeks afterwards.  In the last few years, I've been around factory fresh Fox models.  Boeing should bottle the "new helicopter smell" and make a cologne out of it.  Having had the horror of working on Charlie models for a few years as a base of comparison,  I can better appreciate the nuances of the Fox over the Delta models.  The big box of manuals is gone, replaced by a laptop.  C-5/C-17 tear downs are better in some ways because Boeing incorporated a few mods from the MH birds to the regular production CH birds. 

Were you still a 67U when you got out?  I don't exactly recall when all the 67 & 68 series all became 15xx...

Here you go, Ish. Sorry it took so long but here is the top and bottom. The bottom seems were a bear, mainly where the joint between the belly and where the piano hinge on the tanks would be. I just was a really big step when joined, Wafu mentioned it also.

kCf4DQ.jpgyo1Jfv.jpg

• 4 weeks later...