Best replacement for an F-15 is... an F-15

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Given that the military is spending like drunken sailors these days (no offense to my brothers in the Navy), I see no reason why the USAF can't have their cake and eat it too.  Plus, unless the gist of the article is wrong, this push is coming from the USAF.  It's not a BA sales campaign.   If true and the USAF really wants to go this route, I see no reason why it can't happen.     

actually, I doubt there are four people on the entire board that have an idea how defense contracts work. 

gary

For the record its Yuengling and it's o.k beer but never high on my list of beer choices if given other options :cheers:.

Carry on with the F-15 vs. F-22 vs. F-35 vs.... [enter selection here] debate.

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

actually, I doubt there are four people on the entire board that have an idea how defense contracts work. 

Who are the other three?

Would the F-15X be better for countries like Japan & S. Korea?  Because I foresee that if there's ever going to be conflict there with certain unfriendly communist countries as their neighbors,  these communists are going to be throwing LOTS of cheap fighters at them and try to overwhelm Japanese & S.Korean fighters with numerical advantage.  Since the F-15X can carry more AAMs than current Japanese F-15Js and S.Korean F-15Ks,  would the F-15X go someway in addressing the numerical superiority of their enemies?

Just thinking out loud.

I’ve done everything from RFP to DD250 and everything in between.  Logic rarely enters into the process.  It’s all numbers and dollars. (and condos and season tickets and.....)

Israel to purchase "advanced" F-15IA with stealth coatings and internal weapons carriage?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-looks-at-massive-military-aircraft-purchase-from-us-firm-boeing/

Purchase may not be the right term since they are using American money but regardless, it looks like the F-15 may have some life left in it after all.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:44 AM, 11bee said:

Israel to purchase "advanced" F-15IA with stealth coatings and internal weapons carriage?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-looks-at-massive-military-aircraft-purchase-from-us-firm-boeing/

Purchase may not be the right term since they are using American money but regardless, it looks like the F-15 may have some life left in it after all.

Between Saudi and Qatari buys, the F-15 has a ton of life left.  The Saudi order is for 84 new builds and the Qatari order is for 36.  They are pumping jets out at St Louis right now.   

Long live the Eagle!

hqH0IY0.png

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
Civility

In a perfect world:

We have to replace the Tomcat

with another Tomcat

We have to replace the F-5

with the F-20

We need a plain stealth jet and a good looking mofo

build more F-23 than F-22

We have to replace both A-4 and the F-4

With Hornets

The Strike Eagle is too plain

Unleash the F-16XL and more F-111

We don't need the F-35

Resurrect the Avro Arrow instead

This timeline is so effing wrong

Luigi

I’ve been following the F-15X for quite some time and the real issue is: MONEY and nothing else. The Air Force would prefer more F-22’s but the cost is not only prohibitive but some of the tooling has benen destroyed and replacing it plus starting up limited production would increase the cost to even more then before and it was cost that shut down production in the first place and nothing esle.

While the Eagle has a magnificent combat record and a true dog fighter, the bet and trend is for more long range engagements where stealth is the key and the new F-15X would only have some stealthy paint added as part of the upgrade.

I love Eagles but it’s old technology and isn’t going to cut it plus the Air Force really doesn't want it. Stealth is the way of the future and as bad as it sounds: the day of the drone is here.

Peter    

Just the way of the future and the future is here. I started flying in 1964, first soloed in 1965 and flying was a lot different then now. There is no going back; sometimes I surely wish there was a way.

Peter

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

plus the Air Force really doesn't want it. Stealth is the way of the future

If you believe the article, the AF does want it.  Still a role for a non-stealthy but fast, long-ranged aircraft with a cutting edge radar and a boatload of missiles.  Especially if the US finally fields a true long range AA missile.    Think of it as a good force multiplier for the stealth jets.   

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

If you believe the article, the AF does want it.  Still a role for a non-stealthy but fast, long-ranged aircraft with a cutting edge radar and a boatload of missiles.  Especially if the US finally fields a true long range AA missile.    Think of it as a good force multiplier for the stealth jets.   

Add to that Russia is still fielding only gen 4 fighters with various hardware updates and patches to make them relevant. Don't know about the Chinese aircraft but they are all built on the old Soviet hardware so how much better can it be? I am supposing their electronics are much better than the Russians though. If they can do it why can't we with new build F-15's? Do we always need to start from scratch with new and then wait 15 years and billions of dollars later to find out maybe the new isn't as good as we thought it would be. We have a known quantity in the F-15. 

U.S. military equipment philosophy has always been to have the most technologically capable equipment because the theory is it will give the best results in combat and that has generally been proven in the limited wars we have been involved in.  Unfortunately the best technology is always the most expensive.  The result is that each successive generation gets more capable but we get fewer and fewer each time.  I remember a Russian general's reply to being told his aircraft were of inferior quality to U.S. aircraft " Yes, but quantity has a quality of its own."  Personally I don't think the air force has enough planes, the navy enough ships and the army enough equipment to cover all the possible hot spots that can erupt at any given time and the wear and tear on the equipment and people is starting to take its toll.  11bee is right, a new build, updated F-15X can be a force multiplier for the F-22 and F-35.  What about the Navy and the Army?

Geoff M

32 minutes ago, Waco said:

And if you don't believe the article, you recognize it as click-bait.

Actually I recognized the article as click-bait, which is why I don't believe it.