16 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Nice work!

It looks like the wood has been laser cut. Do you have a cutter or do you send/bring drawings to a service?

A while ago I built my version of a backyard flyer which was part of a Wright Flyer & Glen Curtiss design. I soon realized that I didn't want-to build the ribs at that scale and I ordered the Model  Airways kit at a price that was cheaper than to farm it out to a laser company. The same is true of the Flyer 2 as the wings are almost identical to the Flyer so I bought another kit for the wings only. The Flyer 2 will be like my other "under construction"builds used mainly for the wings. It will be sitting on a jig just prior to rigging.

The viewer finds it much more interesting this way.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be changing my MO for the next diorama of a 1:16th Wright Flyer which I probably will titled "New Beginnings" The first Flyer was successful as we all know but it was very unstable. It was wrecked on the beach at Kitty Hawk. Back in Dayton, they figured that they would try again, with pretty much the same design the "Wright Flyer 2". This time they would build a catapult to help them get airborne.
Normally I put lots of detail into my dioramas but this time, I want to take the minimalist approach as I don't want anything to obstruct those beautiful wings. it will be all wood with no fittings, engine or propeller in order to preserve the viewer's sight lines and not be distracted with detail.

What timing... my son and I were at Huffman Prairie just yesterday taking pictures of the catapult (replica) and the field that they did their development at. Learned that the 1600-pound weight they used allowed them to take off regardless of wind direction. I look forward to updates on your Wright project.

• 4 weeks later...