Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Ventris

JFK planes during Desert Storm

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

due to things happening in life I took a 4-5 year break from serious scale modelling. Now Iam back to building planes and want to continue my JFK project.

I plan to build 4-5 A-7Es, 2-3 A-6Es, 2-3 F-14As, an EA-6B, E-2C, S-3 and SH-3H. I have decals for most of the planes except the E-2, S-3, EA-6B and SH-3H, for those I have a decal printer.

Before I took my break I finished one A-7E and A-6E TRAM and left two more A-7Es ready to be painted on the shelf. I hope to have these two and one more A-7 finished by the end of August.

 

Some questions for the experts:

Can the E-2C (Kinetic) be built out of the box to represent an E-2C to from this timeframe?

Can the S-3 (Italeri) be built out of the box to represent an S-3 to from this timeframe?

Can the SH-3H (Hasegawa/Revell rebox) be built out of the box to represent an S-3 to from this timeframe?

Kinetics EA-6B represents an ICAP III, is there a guide how to make it an ICAP II? Also, would the early ICAP II cockpit from Aires be correct for this timeframe?

 

Regarding the F-14As I will go with the HobbyBoss A and take some parts from the B version to kitbash it to get the most prominent features correct.

Would the F-14A from Tamiya with after market sets be an option?

 

Thanks in advance for your help!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the Tamiya F-14. Don't waste time with the Hobby Boss. To be accurate, you'll need tail stiffeners, wheels and TCS chin pod. And ECM bumps if they had them. 

 

The Kinetic E-2 is accurate out of the box for any E-2C with 4 blade props. Nothing noticeable changed on that airframe until you get to the 8 blade prop and upgrades. 

 

Kinetic EA-6B to an ICAP II, is a matter of different antenna and I think some of those are actually in the box. They are very easy to scretchbuild if needed. The instrument panel really only has a few differences- glass instead of dials for the pilot to correct and I'm not sure it would even be that noticeable...

 

The S-3 OOB would be an A. You need the B updates - wingtip pods weee the most noticeable to me. A few different blade antennas as well. Wolfpack and TwoMikes have B conversions. They have more parts than you'll need for a 1991 B, but worth it and has the necessary changes. 

 

Welcome back - sounds like a great project!! Can't wait to see pictures in progress. Post shots of the jets that you want to do, and I'm sure plenty of people can help out with references and info. 

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Buy the Tamiya F-14. Don't waste time with the Hobby Boss. To be accurate, you'll need tail stiffeners, wheels and TCS chin pod. And ECM bumps if they had them. 

 

So QB48815 beaver tail with ECM antenna, QB48797 ECM/TCS chin pod, QB48831 tail stiffeners, ED64290 late wheels and some ECM bumps from a Hasegawa kit? 

If there are only these minor corrections I might actually go with Tamiya instead of HobbyBoss.

 

I have decals for VF-14 100 BuNo. 162700, 101 BuNo. 162691 and VF-32 200 BuNo. 159611. (Superscale 48412, Aeromaster 48526, Superscale 48897)

 

Pictures are on the dstorm.eu website. ( https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/usa/f-14.html )

 

 

Quote

The S-3 OOB would be an A. You need the B updates - wingtip pods weee the most noticeable to me. A few different blade antennas as well. Wolfpack and TwoMikes have B conversions. They have more parts than you'll need for a 1991 B, but worth it and has the necessary changes. 


Are you sure the kit is missing the wingtip pods? 

Is there another version of the pods different from the ones included in the kit? Top left and right corner of the sprue in the picture below.

PromodViking4.jpg 

Antennas should not be hard to add.

 

 

Quote

Can't wait to see pictures in progress.

I have linked the first A-7 in my first post.

Here are two more A-7s which are by now already preshaded: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tYDHKck_8WjjMykNOi1O0yVc_zPg1pvk/view

I will have to wait for the weather to cool down before I can start airbrushing them.

 

Edited by Ventris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen that S-3B sprue. Those do look like the B wingtips. Cool! 

 

And your F-14 assessment was correct. Steel Beach also makes the ECM bumps set. He's got the tail and all 4 fuselage (plus more) in a late A set. He also does rail stiffeners, as does Cross Delta, Furball, AMUR, 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a SENSO with VS-22 during Desert Shield/Storm.

 

The wingtip pods are the same... it was the 4 antenna that were swapped out. There is an aftermarket kit out there, or just sand the kit parts smooth, then add 8 pieces of thin sheet styrene squares with a half dome in the middle. Another addition is the 3 chaff n flair buckets behind the wheel wells, and belly forward of the sonobouy chutes. Don't go too far with the B update. We were still an ASW platform at that time, so leave all 60 chutes in the belly.

 

Good luck finding VS-22 decals for Desert Storm markings in 1/48 scale. They discontinued them.  😕

 

Tracy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 2:40 AM, Vidar_710 said:

I was a SENSO with VS-22 during Desert Shield/Storm.

 

The wingtip pods are the same... it was the 4 antenna that were swapped out. There is an aftermarket kit out there, or just sand the kit parts smooth, then add 8 pieces of thin sheet styrene squares with a half dome in the middle. Another addition is the 3 chaff n flair buckets behind the wheel wells, and belly forward of the sonobouy chutes. Don't go too far with the B update. We were still an ASW platform at that time, so leave all 60 chutes in the belly.

 

Good luck finding VS-22 decals for Desert Storm markings in 1/48 scale. They discontinued them.  😕

 

Tracy

Thanks for this info. Do you have an article number or name of this aftermarket kit?

I will contact you when I get to building the S-3 if that is ok?

 

On 7/30/2018 at 5:47 AM, Finn said:

Here is the JFK Cruise Book for that time period:

 

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv67-91/index.html

 

Jari

Thanks, I have already saved every useful page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for the A-7 experts:

 

How would a loadout with AGM-62 Walleye I or II look like? I cant find a picture showing both sides of an A-7 with AGM-62s. Did they carry a targeting pod and on which station would this pod be carried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ventris said:

Question for the A-7 experts:

 

How would a loadout with AGM-62 Walleye I or II look like? I cant find a picture showing both sides of an A-7 with AGM-62s. Did they carry a targeting pod and on which station would this pod be carried?

WALLEYE on mid-board station on one side, an AWW-13 ERDL Pod (Data Link Pod) on the mid-board station on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

q0Sv7va.jpg

 

Just a little update.

Edited by Ventris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I approve of this project :)  … mainly because I've been slowly working on Kennedy aircraft from Desert Storm.  At the moment, I'm on a Star Wars kick though so Desert Storm is on pause.

 

A good number of my builds and short write ups are included in Jakub's Desert Storm reference site.  They're a little dated as there are better aftermarket sets out now and I'm sure I can do a better assembly / paint job now too.  But they might be a little helpful as I spent a good amount of time researching.  I'm building at least one plane from each squadron.  I've done 3 A-7Es, 2 F-14s, E-2C, KA-6D, S-3.  Been meaning to get the Hobbyboss A-6E for a while …  maybe after I'm done the new Bandai B-Wing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I have been looking for 1/72 decals for a line VF-32 Tomcat from this time period. I can find decals for the CAG aircraft and markings for before and post this time period but not for Desert Storm. If anyone can help I will be very grateful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Benner said:

I approve of this project :)  … mainly because I've been slowly working on Kennedy aircraft from Desert Storm.  At the moment, I'm on a Star Wars kick though so Desert Storm is on pause.

 

A good number of my builds and short write ups are included in Jakub's Desert Storm reference site.  They're a little dated as there are better aftermarket sets out now and I'm sure I can do a better assembly / paint job now too.  But they might be a little helpful as I spent a good amount of time researching.  I'm building at least one plane from each squadron.  I've done 3 A-7Es, 2 F-14s, E-2C, KA-6D, S-3.  Been meaning to get the Hobbyboss A-6E for a while …  maybe after I'm done the new Bandai B-Wing :)

:thumbsup:

The dstorm.eu website is indeed a superb source for information!

 

6 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I have been looking for 1/72 decals for a line VF-32 Tomcat from this time period. I can find decals for the CAG aircraft and markings for before and post this time period but not for Desert Storm. If anyone can help I will be very grateful.

I have the same problem in 1/48. 

 

A little (already outdated) update:

dAUu1RC.jpg

 

d38PcnD.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jabba29 said:

Sorry to jump onto this thread, but I have been looking for 1/72 decals for a line VF-32 Tomcat from this time period. I can find decals for the CAG aircraft and markings for before and post this time period but not for Desert Storm. If anyone can help I will be very grateful.

 

I did my VF-32 plane with a combination of existing decals and stuff printed from LaserJet at home.  201 would be the easiest to do in low-vis, being it only had basic markings ..

Edited by Benner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Ventris said:

I have the same problem in 1/48. 

 

Thanks for the information. That would be my second option, but my preferred scale is 1/72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Benner said:

 

I did my VF-32 plane with a combination of existing decals and stuff printed from LaserJet at home.  201 would be the easiest to do in low-vis, being it only had basic markings ..

 

Thanks for that. I am looking to make one of the TARPs aircraft as I have all that I want for that apart for the markings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First plane got its decals.

But I managed to damage the name tag on the right side. :doh:

 

WkxoSBe.jpg

 

Vcve6sR.jpg

Edited by Ventris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...