Revell 1/48 Messerschmitt Me 163B-1a

I was digging around in the back of the stash tonight looking for something else when I ran across this one. Poor Revell side opening box that's suffered nearly 20 years of stash crush, now is as good a time as any to rescue it. The price on the side says 15 bucks so it was a swap and sell purchase.  I've given it a much better container, instructions have yellowed but surprisingly the decal sheet looks good still.

I'll probably build it as a captured aircraft of some sort.

1Y3FWLx.jpg

suulD52.jpg

YbA0sAS.jpg

These are always cool little planes to have on the display shelf. When I was a kid I got to "fly" another kids Me-163 in the great housing area air war, I was told to hide it so it didn't get bombed be the enemy, well I never found it again, it's probably still in that bush somewhere. He did a great job on the camo...lol!

Edited by bashace
5 hours ago, Fubuki4 said:

I'll probably build it as a captured aircraft of some sort.

Maybe do something just for fun, and a bit crazy? Like paint it in Swedish markings with a "SAAB test aircraft" logo. Paint it with North Afrika colors? Paint it in Romanian colors and markings? Paint it in Brazilian colors and markings?

I need to pull dads copy of War Prizes and see whats captured in there. Sure I'll find something.

I made a bit of a start tonight. Just some minor cockpit parts, I do have some seatbelts around that I'll grab for the cockpit. There is some decals provided but they don't look too good.

JJpEFuy.jpg

1 hour ago, RKic said:

I had no idea this kit existed. 

It's the original Tri Master kit in the Revell box. Tri Master plastic is also in the Dragon/DML kit. Unfortunately Revell never issued the 2 seater, only Dragon did that and I'm keen on picking that one up again. It's surprising that the only other 1/48 Me 163 around is the old Testors kit and as far as I know none are currently in production. Bit of an opportunity here for someone like Tamiya!

• 2 weeks later...

Wings are now on, I cleaned up the mating surfaces to make the attachment more more clean. It only needed a little super glue and a swipe of sandpaper to fix things up.

619zelI.jpg

I tried using the decal for the red and white on the dolly, but the decal just refused to soften up, so I ditched it and used some paint. I also put the back deck on, it is a pretty poor fit so I've been filling and sanding, will polish it up then mask off the rear windows.

ZIKXESn.jpg

A little polishing and masking later and it's ready for a little more interior paint.

iNZz11l.jpg?1

I've also been masking and painting the nose cone. I will mask it off with a thin black line to the red and apply the camouflage next. Painting these types of things is much easier than trying to use a decal.

2CIDSTp.jpg?1

That mottling is out-STAND-ing! Your handling of the airbrush is great to see!

And the subtlety of the shades on the wings ... just ... gorgeous! ... And FAST!!

You guys in this Group Build have some serious skills!  :thumbsup:

Pete

12 hours ago, K2Pete said:

That mottling is out-STAND-ing! Your handling of the airbrush is great to see!

And the subtlety of the shades on the wings ... just ... gorgeous! ... And FAST!!

You guys in this Group Build have some serious skills!  :thumbsup:

Pete

Thanks mate!