M-4 CARABINE ON BLACK HAWKS (Erick/Rod/Floyd/Norbert/ please help)

probably a dumb question, but I know anything about blackhawks

....but where do MEDEVAC pilots and doctors or crew usually keep their M-4 Carbines during missions to protect them selves in case of ambush or something?

any picture will help a lot

(cant find any on google)

• CharlieUH-1H changed the title to M-4 CARABINE ON BLACK HAWKS (Erick/Rod/Floyd/Norbert/ please help)

Well, since medevac birds dont carry any armament, the crew usually protects themselves with personal gear such as 9mm pistols and M4 carbines. The carbines are usually located in the back of the pilot seats, and in the lower area of the crew chief window. I remember someone posted a photo but cand find it.

Rod.

I saw somewhere a picture with a M4 on the floor, between the pilot seat and the door right side, 

but thinking more about it, it seems a bit strange location, it should be secured from moving en route...

Or the strap did the job somehow

Although it's not a DUSTOFF bird, the following are the most common locations for the M4 in the HH-60G.

1000w_q95.jpg

The FEs and gunners in the back would attach them with a caribiner to one of the ceiling rings. Most common location that I saw was to the forward hand hold of the gunners window but any ceiling attachment that was within easy reach was used. This is to keep the floor area clear for their flight duties. DUSTOFF aircraft didn't have the avionics racks behind the pilot seats so this location may not be accurate.

1000w_q95.jpg

The rifle locations for the pilots varied depending on which seat you were occupying. For the left seat, the M4 would normally be stowed muzzle down in the map case to the left of the center console. The rifle would either be resting on its muzzle or with a carabiner to the top of the seat rails. The right seat did not have to worry about the collective so it was normally secured with a carabiner to the outside of the seat between the seat and the armor wing; muzzle up or down depending on personal preference.

Some Army H-60s had a rifle rack or something similar that would secure them in a convenient spot but the Air Force never approved it so I never saw what it looked like.

On 7/31/2018 at 12:25 AM, salvador001 said:

Well, since medevac birds dont carry any armament, the crew usually protects themselves with personal gear such as 9mm pistols and M4 carbines. The carbines are usually located in the back of the pilot seats, and in the lower area of the crew chief window. I remember someone posted a photo but cand find it.

Rod.

Thanks amigo for the information

4 hours ago, norbert said:

here is a picture on the back

m4-carbine-mounted-in-uh60-helicopter.jp

good picture my friend

2 hours ago, Clinstone said:

Although it's not a DUSTOFF bird, the following are the most common locations for the M4 in the HH-60G.

1000w_q95.jpg

The FEs and gunners in the back would attach them with a caribiner to one of the ceiling rings. Most common location that I saw was to the forward hand hold of the gunners window but any ceiling attachment that was within easy reach was used. This is to keep the floor area clear for their flight duties. DUSTOFF aircraft didn't have the avionics racks behind the pilot seats so this location may not be accurate.

1000w_q95.jpg

The rifle locations for the pilots varied depending on which seat you were occupying. For the left seat, the M4 would normally be stowed muzzle down in the map case to the left of the center console. The rifle would either be resting on its muzzle or with a carabiner to the top of the seat rails. The right seat did not have to worry about the collective so it was normally secured with a carabiner to the outside of the seat between the seat and the armor wing; muzzle up or down depending on personal preference.

Some Army H-60s had a rifle rack or something similar that would secure them in a convenient spot but the Air Force never approved it so I never saw what it looked like.

fantastic information thank you brother

In the Canadian army we just carried our side arms. (9mm Browning) But we never had Black Hawks,,,,,,,,,Most of the time (when I was in the reserve) we hardly ever HAD WEAPONS!!! Liberal funding cut backs. Remember back in 94 or 95 when our regiment at LAST received the C-7 rifle. Anyone over the rank of Master Corporal did not carry......so we had enough bang sticks for the private /corporals.

There are places to put your rifle as seen in the photo, the little pull tabs hanging from the overhead console is where the muzzle goes and the butt goes on the back of the center console.  When I flew med I would place the rifle on the right side of the seat and loop the seatbelt  through the rifle sling to keep it in place.  I didnt have time to mess around with trying to get it in the little holder and still make the 15 min launch time so right next to me was the best, even when we flew doors off and I was right seat.  The crew chiefs there was a similar mount for their rifles next to the broom closet.  Hope it helps.

Dan 

cockpit.jpg

18 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

Pretty sure the painted M4 in that first picture is actually the personal weapon of a PJ.  

It is.

On 8/2/2018 at 8:10 PM, Rotor_head_Dan said:

There are places to put your rifle as seen in the photo, the little pull tabs hanging from the overhead console is where the muzzle goes and the butt goes on the back of the center console.  When I flew med I would place the rifle on the right side of the seat and loop the seatbelt  through the rifle sling to keep it in place.  I didnt have time to mess around with trying to get it in the little holder and still make the 15 min launch time so right next to me was the best, even when we flew doors off and I was right seat.  The crew chiefs there was a similar mount for their rifles next to the broom closet.  Hope it helps.

Dan

Couldn't you just leave the rifle in the aircraft or did you have to carry them everywhere? We (PEDROS) just left them in the aircraft when we were on shift then put them in a rack in our building when we were off shift and carried pistols as our personal weapon. I also see why we never had that rack: our aft-console would prohibit the installation.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:10 PM, Rotor_head_Dan said:

Dan 

cockpit.jpg

Dan,

Out of curiosity, what is that instrument below the engine displays and above the radar warning display?  Never see that before. 

14 hours ago, Clinstone said:

It is.

Couldn't you just leave the rifle in the aircraft or did you have to carry them everywhere? We (PEDROS) just left them in the aircraft when we were on shift then put them in a rack in our building when we were off shift and carried pistols as our personal weapon. I also see why we never had that rack: our aft-console would prohibit the installation.

No we couldnt leave them in the aircraft for security reasons, you all in the AF have the very strict red line rules and SP's roaming.

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

Dan,

Out of curiosity, what is that instrument below the engine displays and above the radar warning display?  Never see that before. 

That is the display for the Integrated Vehicle Health Maintenance System (IVHMS).  Short answer is that is monitors vibrations and engine health to quickly allow maintenance to diagnose issues.    An Army story on the system is here.... https://www.army.mil/article/64591/hums_allows_helicopter_repair_crews_faster_maintenance

Dan

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:44 PM, 11bee said:

Dan,

that little square green box likes very similar  to the CDP or cockpit Display Panel box used as the interface for the LARS ( Lightweight Airborne Recovery System ) to communicate with various hand held survival radios such as the AN/PRC-112G and the AN/PRQ-7A . 

Just now, Clinstone said:

Electronically Linked Mission Overlay. It's a laptop computer in the cockpit that displays moving map and other mission information.

2-hh-60g-pave-hawk.jpg

Also here's a picture of the right seat M4 location.

101001-F-9209C-680.JPG

PERFECT!

Ill put the ones for my build just right there!

any chance for the one on the other side?

8 minutes ago, CharlieUH-1H said:

PERFECT!

Ill put the ones for my build just right there!

any chance for the one on the other side?

On 8/1/2018 at 10:19 AM, Clinstone said:

1000w_q95.jpg

The common location in the HH-60G is just to the left of the maintainers right arm in the map case between the seat and the aft console with the muzzle pointing down.

2 hours ago, Clinstone said:

The common location in the HH-60G is just to the left of the maintainers right arm in the map case between the seat and the aft console with the muzzle pointing down.

perfect thanks!

Not Related to the placement of the M4...

But DANG I wish I was in the right hand seat of those Pave Hawks... I shouldn't complain, I'm a helo pilot in the civilian world, but the -60 is a dream...