Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

On 7/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, The Madhatter said:

thanks guys. It also may to help explain why it takes me forever to produce a decent update as well as having to take breaks form it every now and then :rolleyes:

Worth the wait...:thumbsup2:

Really looking forward to seeing LOTS of pics of this finished and lit.

:cheers:

hey guys
I've started the roof panels now and added some details onto the body to try and blend it al in a bit better. It's slow work but quite rewarding (well, to me it is)
I'll start making my way forward now and finish off this side and then mentally prep myself to start all over again for the other side! Joy

48640809292_6126c42e88_c.jpg

48640314858_526e1ece3f_c.jpg

48640804287_c1c443bb55_c.jpg

48640666581_8a5b72a131_c.jpg

48640668366_689f904b95_c.jpg

I only took 5 pictures before the light ran out, so that's it till next time. Which incidentally won't likely be until I have finished most of the other side, so another few weeks away.
I'm also going to take the plunge and teach myself how to use Arduino boards, which ought to be interesting. There's heaps of forums about how to do it, so I reckon I'll pick it up easy enough. (famous last words)
Thanks as always for looking. Feel free to comment - good or bad.
Cheers
Si

I've also got the lighted 1/5000 Bandai Star Destroyer on order, and it should be arriving tomorrow. Other than paint, I'm just going to build it OOB.

Here's a video I found about the construction of the lighted kit, and it looks really impressive (I can't read the text, but the video is still very informative):

Back on topic, Madhatter, that's just an amazing amount of detail you're adding.  I don't think I have the patience, and I definitely don't have the skill, to do something like that.

It's really, really impressive.  You seem to know just where to add to build up the detail, but not overwhelm.

Thanks very much Ken for both the kind posts and the video. I saw a built one on Britmodeller and thought it looks nice and is well built there is a lot of light leakage at the base of the superstructure. I'm sure if its an oversight on the builder's behalf or an overall issue with the kit. Looking at it, I'm almost prepared to state its a kit issue but without having one I can't be sure. Bandai have done a fantastic job on the details though but its too small for my tastes 

My Bandai kit arrived today, and it's in a big box, but yes, it is only about a foot long (about 30.5cm).  It includes the opaque parts and some clear parts, and I am not really sure why.  The opaque parts have holes for the lights to shine through, and I realize that using the clear parts can provide a different effect, but I am not sure it makes a big enough difference to be worth using them.  At least with my skills.  The holes with lights inside seem to do pretty well.

I have two of the Zvezda kits in my stash that I will build some day, plus another Revell 1/4000 kit, and two Revell Germany Venator kits (one of which I've started on), but none of them will approach the build quality of this kit you're building.

The clear parts are supposed to be done like that for better light dispersion and to let the light out of the windows after paint, you can use a drill bit and do a small turn to lift the paint off, but to me, that seems to be a waste of time and you may as well not do it in clear to start with. Im sure there would be an easier way to go with that. 

Hope to see your Venator build one day. I made a start on my second one a couple of years ago but stopped after halfway through detailing the longer of the 2 engine tubes. I must pick it up again and finish it but my current build is consuming all of my bench time.

Lol, I've lost count of my unfinished projects 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm re-posting the last update as it screwed up the page somehow.
I have been working away on this since this was last updated, but no pics yet sorry as there hasn't been enough done worth while taking pics of yet

I've started work on the "nose" as you'll see. I steered clear of cutting it off and dropping it like others before me. Fair enough if I was replicating the studio build but it's not necessary here. I realised I had cut out the backing board where the front roof sits thinking there would be something sitting in front of it - there is, but it's not what I thought. A quick sheet of styrene fixed that and I shall add some detail to it in due course. My intention is to have some pipes running back over the edge up into the cavity above it.
Time will tell if that will be something that could work as the roofs will be the last thing to be glued on after the fibres have gone in.
Still lots of detail to add to the rest of the surface but I am getting there slowly but surely

48742590521_6001b3d183_c.jpg

48742265028_96d15b9e44_c.jpg

48742591971_0acda1510c_c.jpg

48742769842_4092363531_c.jpg

48742768517_74e7a6e3ee_c.jpg

48742767002_7bfbddb1e8_c.jpg

The rear side roofs are also completed and ready to go on. They were a nice quick and easy job - well, in consideration of everything else they were

48742765557_63b3173dc5_c.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but hopefully the next update will be better
As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

Hi again

Last update before a short tools down period. I've not really spent as much time on the bench as I thought I would but did still manage some decent progress

The front end is as busy as I want it now. Just need to start filling out areas around the hull. I won't go to crazy as I want to try keep to the grand scale and immensity of the ship.

At the same time, most of this detail will likely be obscured by the paint.

48806881837_5fa23fbdc5_c.jpg

48806880747_2cfc898445_c.jpg

48806739731_f1aba36cce_c.jpg

48806878882_c28e8a528c_c.jpg

48806383443_1a39638f18_c.jpg

48806448753_009df2df25_c.jpg

48806876657_93c110bd25_c.jpg

48806381263_d668230994_c.jpg

48806445663_23a46b2baf_c.jpg

Well, that's it for now but feel free to share any thoughts you may have

Till next time

Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I'm new to the forum, and am late to this thread, but wow! Such attention to detail and the absolute purpose and weight behind the details makes just plain sense. And really shows the sheer implied scale of this model. I love details and this is a pure inspiration and humbling thread!

13 hours ago, OMWorks said:

So I'm new to the forum, and am late to this thread, but wow! Such attention to detail and the absolute purpose and weight behind the details makes just plain sense. And really shows the sheer implied scale of this model. I love details and this is a pure inspiration and humbling thread!

Welcome to the forums Greg, and thank you very much for your kind post! I really appreciate it

I look forward to seeing some of your work here soon

9 hours ago, Dr. Brad said:

Just wow! You are doing an amazing job on this! Man, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project! 

Thanks Brad! Haven't seen you around much lately? Hope all is well

I must admit, I am also looking forward to seeing the end of this but I have a very long way to go yet!

Does make it sound like it'll be never ending but rest assured, I'll get there

I haven't touched it since the last update as I've been working on another project that I'm doing as a gift. Once it's done, I will be coming back to the SD before a short Xmas break

Thanks to everyone who is watching and posting on this thread.

Si

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Jesse!!! Mate, great to see you back on the forums again! You've been missed 

Hope your well? What have you been up to for the past 4 years or so?

I appreciate your response MH!  All good here, nothing terrible has happened... it seems only work, life and lack of ambitions are to blame for my absence :closedeyes:   Time and time again I thought about building models, however as the months passed by, the thought of unpacking all of my modeling stuff seemed unbearable :bandhead2:  At long last I decided to log into ARC and after reading a few inspirational threads, such as yours, I have been getting my hobby bench back in order.  It's very exciting to be back on the forums and I very much look forward to more updates on your work :thumbsup: 

/Jesse :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone - happy new year! Hope we all managed to get some bench time in. I know I didn't 

So I have not long gotten back from holidays and decided it was high time I expended some time into this project. To be honest, I spent a lot of time thinking about this build and the things I could add and by the end of it, was busting to start back onto it.

Also, finally, I have settled on the base layout and how it's going to be displayed. It'll look pretty wicked if I get it right. BTW, does anyone know of a way to bend brass tube to an angle of 90 degrees whilst still maintaining the structural integrity of the tube itself, as in, not collapse in on itself?

So, I got home and promptly got bored of detailing the main body so I decided to move onto something else for a while. In this instance, I chose the top nose piece to play with. Better than my own one right?

Zvezda have created these rather large, blank protrusions from the top surface which just look like blocks. They appear to have no function what so ever. They're just sit there like a zit.

Can't have that, can we now. So, dress it up with some strip shelves, add some various piping and you have something much more interesting. I'll even try to stick in a fiber optic or 2.

There's just some more plates to add then I'll look at the undersides of those edges and add some detail to those as there are woefully lacking. Then it'll be back to the main body and finish that off before moving onto the bottom half.

Anyway, here's where I currently stand:

49344049443_0d90e2034c_c.jpg

49344507646_81a454d2ec_c.jpg

49344059178_441c6b3dbc_c.jpg

49344512326_17a6b1007f_c.jpg

49344727012_f13bcdb939_c.jpg

49344054543_aa8b83d21a_c.jpg

49344718567_15359a79e4_c.jpg

49344500896_fc8ec57c7d_c.jpg

And I just couldn't help myself, and took a pic which it joined up - just to remind myself of how big this ship is of course

49344722212_7615214675_c.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but I will be back in a while once the nose is done.

As always, thanks for sticking around and having a look

Si