Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

All good guys - just wasn't sure if anyone was interested as it has been going for 2 years now

I am top of the list of people eager to get it done already, but I just keep finding more and more to do

I still have the lighting to install yet, and then find a way to mount it and do the base - not to mention the painting....

The finish line is there, but its still a fair way away yet

thanks guys - don't worry, I'll keep updating when I have something worth while showing. I will say however that I am glad to see there are people still interested in this build.

Ray, mate, your 10 year build is something of a legacy really. I remember seeing it when you first started it. Maybe one year you'll finish it 😄 At least you got some lighting into it!

Alex, thank you for the kind post. The Anigrand it is more in line with one of the studio models as opposed to mine which is just free-detailing and not referencing any of the models used in the films. So if you were looking at mine as reference, just remember, its not even close to movie accurate. If (like me) you don't care about that and just want a better detailed kit, then by all means, use whatever you want from mine. The Anigrand one is pretty well detailed already from what I recall of seeing one. I wanted one a long time ago but couldn't afford it at the time but now that I can, I don't feel the want anymore. That's no reflection on the kit, but I am just as happy with the Zvezda offering in regards to the size. Much more shelf friendly 🙂

I hope we get to see your build one day as you don't see many of these being built these days. There are plenty of builds which offer good advice on how to build it properly (so that it doesn't sag etc).

Thanks again for the interest and responses guys. See you all again soon

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky to get some free time this afternoon, so I took some pictures of where I am currently up to

I have been working on this as well as the Batmobile and have actually got quite a bit done. I have cemented my base plans and I'll show you a picture later on of what I have in mind. So, I have been casting multiple copies of my very expensive 3D printed DS tile ready to layout on the sheet and that has consumed a fair amount of time so far, but TBH, it's not hard to mix up a batch of resin  and make a copy while waiting for the spuds to cook or what have you.

The surface detailing is coming along nicely. The main concentrations have been finished and now its just time to fill it out and then crack on with the side walls (what I have also started but not got very far with)

IMG_7943

IMG_7929

IMG_7926

IMG_7938

And this is rough layout of how the base is going to go:

IMG_7924

Well, that's it for this update, but the next one will likely be the completion of the lower hull and more work on the base

As always, thanks for continually coming in here and having a look

Si

Mate, I was so stoked to be finally allowed into a shop this morning. I spent a lot of time and money today but I did manage to get stuff I actually need. The main support brace was bent into shape the minute I got home. 

I should have a good update coming soon too

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Thought I would update this quickly while I had some spare time. As I have said previously, I have made a good start on the base. Most of my time has been spent making casts but I have actually cemented stuff together. The main service trench has been made and I am now making the lower level details. I've tried to make it look under construction but I think I may have made it also look like it's destroyed. Not sure which yet.naturally, there will be some lighting in amongst all this to give it more life.

I've quite enjoying making the base so far and if it goes like what's in my head, then this will be awesome. Maybe even better than the ship? Too early to say but here's where I am at currently:

IMG_7944

IMG_7948

IMG_7951

IMG_7962 IMG_7959

IMG_7958

IMG_7956

IMG_7953

Well, that's it for now but once I'll update again once I have something worthwhile showing

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

thanks guys! I am also quite keen to see the end of this project too 😄

I've added the plates to the lower left hand side of the base and am half way through the right. A few details here and there have made it look much more interesting. Once the lower plates are on, I'll make the wall behind them ready for the next level. Photos will make more sense once I take them

Thought I would show you where I'm heading with this. Got some good basic structure work done and am now working on the larger details before moving in to do the finer stuff. There are some casting holes here and there and will need covering etc which will be done with details. Most of this will unlikely to be seen but it's better to be safe than sorry and have visibly empty spots of nothing

IMG_7964

IMG_7975

IMG_7973

IMG_7972

IMG_7968

Anyways, that's it for now, but thanks for looking

Si

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to say that I have added all the detail I'm going to, to the bottom hull plate. I do have some stuff to add to the upper lips where the sidewalls meet the hull but that won't take long. All that's left to add detail  too are the  sidewalls themselves. I won't be going to mental there as the space is pretty short but enough to make it more interesting, and then it'll be the joyous task of adding the fibers.

IMG_7976

IMG_7979

IMG_7980

IMG_7985

Anyway, that's it for now. I'm still casting pieces for the base and that is taking up a fair whack of time but the ship detailing is nearly finished!

Sorry for the not-so-great pictures, I couldn't be bothered getting the photo tent out etc

thanks as looking!

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

thanks guys! I made a start on the side walls this week and thankfully, the areas to detail are quite small, so this shouldn't take too long (hopefully).

I'll have to paint the wall details of the superstructure before adding fibers as I won't be able to trim the fibers flush once they've gone in without damaging the detail there in the process.

I still have to work out exactly how I am going to mount this but I have an idea and that's a start. Better than not having any ideas on what to do!

All being well, I should have an update soon

Thanks for your continued interest guys

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update while I wait for my work meeting to kick off. I took some pics last night of one of many test fits of the front sidewalls and upper and lower hull plates. I have to keep adding the walls and plates together to make sure the detailing I've added tot he underside of the edge on the top plate and again on the bottom plate don't interfere with the details on the sidewalls etc. Its very time consuming but it'll all look pretty cool once its together.

Excuse the not so great photos. I promise next time they will be clearer

IMG_8009

IMG_8011 IMG_8012

IMG_8013

IMG_8008

Well, that's all I have for now, but once the front wall is done, I'll take a photo of the kit standard VS what I've done side by side so you can see the difference some extra details can make

Well I have to go back to work but as always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Till next time!

Si