Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

hey everyone

I took some time today to make use of the awesome daylight we've had here to get some more detailed shots of where I am up to right now. I'll have some more time to myself this week as the wife and child are heading off to see her family before Xmas before I go up to Brisbane to join them later. I hope to be able to use that time constructively

So yeah, the last set of photos didn't really convey what I'd actually done, and here's hoping these ones tell a better story

IMG_8020 IMG_8022 IMG_8023

IMG_8032

IMG_8039

IMG_8038

IMG_8036

Well, that's it for now, but as always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

Till next time

Si

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 3 months later...

Thanks very much for the kind posts guys.  I have recommenced work on this and will be posting an update once I have actually done something worth showing. I am super happy with how it's progressing but at the same time am slightly over whelmed at how much more there is to do yet. 

If anyone else wants to do this kind  of detail, be aware: it is a lot bigger than you think. Well, it is if you work at the same glacial pace I work at. 

hey everyone

Dusting this one off to show that I have actually started back on this yet again.
Have begun the fun task of detailing the side walls, starting off with the front. This is pretty much where I left off in the last update but I am now more advanced along. Although it may not look it, a heap of small details have been added to the lips of the 2 hull halves. Whilst they don't look like much on their own, when you add the rest of it together, it fills the spaces nicely.

I'm almost done for the front with only the right side front panel left to do which won't take long. Then naturally I'll make my way down the sides. I also have to add details to the under sides of the top half of the ship which I missed the first time round. I thought i was done detailing the top bit but alas, no

Enough words, here's some pics:

IMG_8233

IMG_8230

IMG_8227

IMG_8228

IMG_8237

IMG_8236

IMG_8244

I'm often asked for a size reference.Maybe this may help:

IMG_8242

Anyway, that's all I have for now but I'll update once I'm fully finished the trenches.

Thanks for stopping by and for those who are actually still following this - you get an extra thanks for your enduring patience with me while I fumble my way through this

Till next time!

Si

I know what you mean, mojo is a HUGE part of massive projects like this.  This year I finally finished a project that I started over 5 years ago, which I kept shelving due to lack of mojo, being overwhelmed with the enormity of the challenges I was facing.  It's like surfers (I think), waiting out there for a decent wave to come in to ride.

LOL, thanks Andy. Its quite a big model coming in at 63cm long and im just holding the nose section together so in a way, it looks like its small but its decent sized.

This project has sucked a lot of mojo from me but so far, its been worth it. I only need to finish detailing the sidewalls and then the ship itself will be done in that regard. Of course then the fun of threading miles of fiber comes next. 

I'll be painting the side and hull walls first before the fibers go in. Still lots more to do before that happens though 

So, I finally got round to finishing off the spot lights up front and thought I'd do a dry fit /light test, and thought I would share my happy results

Yes, I probably should have gone with cool white, but I prefer the look of the warmer white.

IMG_8254 IMG_8253

IMG_8252 IMG_8250

Well, that's it but feel free to share your thoughts - good or bad.

As always, thanks for looking

Si

I keep expecting to see a story pop up in the news...."Police and Lucasfilm LTD have confirmed a breakin at one of their secure warehouses, resulting in the theft of one of the highly detailed studio models of a Star Destroyer.  The model was used for closeup detail scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy.  Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the model, or of the person or persons responsible, should call 88-CRIME." 

The details are just amazing. It creates such a lived in, vibrant feel. These things are really flying cities more than ships, and it really makes sense to create a docking area as busy as a city's port and a topside as changeable as a skyline.

On 4/20/2021 at 6:34 AM, FlyAndFight said:

You've captured those sections perfectly.  

I remember the lighting being warm white and not the cool/blue white of most modern LEDs.   Excellent job.  

Thanks mate, I'm comfortable with that choice now too. Had a moment there where I was a tad unsure but most people have agreed with the warm white too

On 4/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I keep expecting to see a story pop up in the news...."Police and Lucasfilm LTD have confirmed a breakin at one of their secure warehouses, resulting in the theft of one of the highly detailed studio models of a Star Destroyer.  The model was used for closeup detail scenes in the original Star Wars trilogy.  Anyone with information on the whereabouts of the model, or of the person or persons responsible, should call 88-CRIME." 

That made me laugh out loud! Thankyou 🙂

6 hours ago, spejic said:

The details are just amazing. It creates such a lived in, vibrant feel. These things are really flying cities more than ships, and it really makes sense to create a docking area as busy as a city's port and a topside as changeable as a skyline.

Thanks very much mate! 🙂 I look at those pics of the top section and sometimes can't believe that I created it. I am really looking forward to painting this, but at the same time am dreading applying the the miles of masking tape that I'll need for the panelling. I wish someone would create a decal sheet like the ones used on Star Trek kits. It would save so much time!

Thankyou to all if you who have stuck by and kept following despite how long its taken just to get to this stage.  I appreciate it immensely 

An update will be coming soon

Si

Holy Crap!  This is epic.  Loving the lighting.

I've only just ventured into the world of SciFi modelling, LEDs and fibre optics so this is great reference material.

Light leakage takes some sorting I've discovered (kitchen foil & lots of black paint are my solutions).  Also, I find the fibres are prone to leakage if bent too far.

Currently building a StarWars dio for daughters boyfriend with some LEDs (no fibre optics.....though you've got me thinking).

What power source are you using?  I've used a 9V battery on my first LED adventure but have since found 2x1.5V can power up a lot if you wire them in parallel (forget wiring in series as the voltage drop across each 3 or 5mm LED is about 3V).

Thanks mate! Scifi is a great subject to model as you're free to do whatever you want and you can't really rivet count something that does not exist. 

I generally make most of my lit builds to be mains powered. I have a plug that allows me to change the voltage to 9v. This way, I don't have to worry about the battery dying. I don't use any fancy bits to do it either.  Each LED has it's own resistor as well.

With light blocking, if you're using fibers, use heak shrink tube over the light source which really cuts back a lot of internal light. Fibers don't have a great bend radius but you can use a heat gun to soften them up and get a tighter bend. But you still have be careful not to go too bard on the angle

Hi everyone

Thought I would update this while I have some spare time.

Work continues on the sidewalls with only one wall left on the starboard side and only 2.5 left to do on the other

I am pretty happy with how its coming along.

IMG_8261

IMG_8263

IMG_8264

IMG_8266

IMG_8271

IMG_8257

I haven't quite finished the one above but I'm pretty much there

I'll post another update when I have finished the whole side

thanks as always for looking

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

You are doing some amazing work, it creates a strange sense of scale. Its difficult to put into words, but all these tiny little additions... lets me imagine the corridors and rooms. The sheer size of the vessel if it was real, truly outstanding stuff!

Andy

Thanks Andy! I appreciate the kind post.

I'm hoping that everything is in scale as much as possible but if not - oh well

The detailing is getting close to being finished. Once the sidewalls are done, that's it. So excited at seeing the light at the end of this very long tunnel but I also won't be rushing it. I have the base to do as well and am looking forward to working on that again. Oh, and I still need to make an internal support for the stand to go in. Sort of the wiring

damn - that light is shrinking away again.... :crying:

I had the top on briefly tonight whilst I was marking out where the next load of floodlights were going to go and I added the roof etc just to see how its looking. I am really happy with how it's looking! (just do what I do and look past the current gaps :D )

IMG_8274

IMG_8276

IMG_8275

I thought it's looking pretty frickin' cool myself. I just took those 3 pics just then as I thought it looked good enough to share. Never mind the extraordinary orange wall behind. I try to forget it myself

thanks again

Si