Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Hey everyone

Some people have been wondering what kind of approach I'll be taking to painting, so for those who wanted to know, I took a couple of pics which should help answer it. I'm going to spare everyone the boredom of taking shots at every stage and just show you the first one. You'll get the idea from that. Needless to say, the painting process might take longer than first thought.

IMG_8430

IMG_8429

IMG_8427

IMG_8431

IMG_8435

IMG_8445

IMG_8446

As this is as exciting as it gets, the next update should see these panels finished - or very close to it. It's going to be a lot of fine masking which I hope actually works. These photos also help me to remember where I placed all the masks.....

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

thanks bud! LOL, it is a bit like that - but not quite as intense

Well, the experimental masking is done and the results are here. There are some panels which require a paint touch up because - as feared - the paint was too thin for the masks and ran under them in places. Lifted the paint off in others.

Over all though, I am pleased with how its turned out. I'm still debating whether or not to run a very thin filter coat over the whole area to tone down the enhanced panels.

I still have small detail painting, washed and dry brushing yet to go, so the look will change even more but what do you guys think? Should I leave them like they are or run a filter over the top?

IMG_8457

IMG_8456

IMG_8455

IMG_8467

IMG_8462

IMG_8459

IMG_8458

IMG_8468

Those longer roof panels are on back to front, so ignore those and yes, I did see the  tape I left behind which has since been removed :)

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Till next time

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.  Its just a light very heavily thinned base colour coat. Does precisely what you said. It's just the base paint work. Next is washing , dry brush and pencil in some panel lines 

Edited by The Madhatter
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Well, I have finally sorted out my last remaining hurdle and it's onto the final stretch - more or less. Yep, I have finally sorted out my mounting device and at long last, I will be able to slip the ship on and off it's mount (I'm not sure how many times I would want to but for transportation this will be invaluable)

all I have to do is attach the sleeve onto the bottom of the ship and we're good to go. I've got it so I have 4 separate power lines which I will be able to distribute to hangar bay lights, engines, superstructure and floodlights.

It's by no means pretty but it works which is more important. The wires will travel down the back side of the armature into the base. Once I have the last bit of wire covered, I'll paint it all black

IMG_8481

IMG_8488

IMG_8491

IMG_8487

As I said, not the prettiest stuff ever but I had to make do with what I had

Anyway, that's it for now.

As always, thanks for looking

Si

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

wow - it has been a while hasn't it? Hi all, and thanks for stopping in. First of, sorry for the really long delay in doing anything to it until recently. RL has interfered a lot as have other projects blah blah. We all know the reasons why etc that things go on hold but, I do have an update that's worth showing

So, I am unable to paint anything ATM due to weather and other such stuff like getting ready to move up north to Brisbane at the end of the year, plus a reno and as such, that limited my options. But I have been chomping at the bit to get restarted on just something to do with this build as its just dragging on and on (rather my my words) so I thought I would continue on with the base.

And I must say, so far, I am super happy with it. It's coming out way better than I had hoped so far! I am almost finished the edging on the top plate as you'll see in a sec and the shape of it is working perfectly. I will need to cast another 2 or 3 plates and some more of the original plating for the bottom and mid tiers, but that won't take too long

So, first up, the top plate as it is now:

IMG_8618

The advantages of using resin is you can sand it super thin and then remove excess bits with a sharp knife to create new shapes

IMG_8616

IMG_8614

IMG_8611

IMG_8617

And the bottom plate has also had some treatment started to it. There is HEAPS more to do of course

IMG_8610

IMG_8609

And combined, it starts to take shape. There is a tier to go in between them but not there just yet

IMG_8604

IMG_8605

IMG_8606

IMG_8608

Well, that's it now for the next 3 months.... nah, just kidding. It's 7 if you're lucky

Hopefully the next update will come sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any continued interest

Till then!

thanks guys! Andy, when I get up there, you'll have to recommend a club or hobby shop in Brisbane that I can go to. I'll miss Melbourne a lot, but we're going up for family, so its for a good reason. Does Brisbane have an Expo/show event?

I genuinely laughed out loud at that Thommo - I drove in Brisbane just a few weeks ago and was astounded at how bad a lot of QLD drivers are, but I could also say the same for some Victorians too. The worst thing about Brisbane I found was the very confusing road layouts - especially in the city. Personally, I find that's where Melbourne did it right - a proper block system, like New York in a way - not the wild spaghetti junction that is Brisbane. I guess I'll need to adjust to it though

3 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

I genuinely laughed out loud at that Thommo - I drove in Brisbane just a few weeks ago and was astounded at how bad a lot of QLD drivers are, but I could also say the same for some Victorians too. The worst thing about Brisbane I found was the very confusing road layouts - especially in the city. Personally, I find that's where Melbourne did it right - a proper block system, like New York in a way - not the wild spaghetti junction that is Brisbane. I guess I'll need to adjust to it though

Our daughter just moved to Brissy, living in Sherwood which is quite a nice suburb as far as cities go (I could never live in a capital city, love the country life & outdoors too much. Fly-Fishing!).

I bought her a dash-cam for her little Yaris 😬. She is a very good city driver having lived in Sydney.  City driving does my head in.

We get a lot of Qld drivers down here in Northern NSW.  Many just seem to be very unpredictable, do completely random things with no indication.  And as for 'Keep Left Unless Overtaking', don't get me started 😄