Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

19 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Been there a few times. Good uni there from all accounts.  We actually looked at moving there at one point but it didnt eventuate. Is New England Hobbies still in existence?

University of New England.  I did both my degrees there in the 80's when it was really good.  From all accounts, it has gone downhill a bit lately.  Covid did not help.  Staff redundancies. Online courses.  Colleges closing.  A VC who seems crazy as a cut snake (why do Uni's not vet better people who they are going to pay $600K pa???).

The old New England Hobbies were in Armidale & Inverell but both gone now (owners retired, Armidale closed first then Inverell).

There is a new New England Hobbies just down the road from us in Uralla - https://newenglandmodelsandhobbies.com.au/ 

Edited by Thommo

Ah yes... Brisbane.

When arriving in the sunshine state make sure you wind back your watch one hour, and your life 50yrs!

The sunny state for shady people... There are loads of these, some are closer to the truth than I would care to admit. But I'll admit, it was one of the better decisions in my life when I moved here.

In regards to hobby shops, there are a few but I tend to frequent two in particular. Hobby One on the south side, and Hobbyrama on the north side. Hobby One has gradually down sized over the years and caters for RC mostly but has a fairly good inventory of paints, thinners etc. Its the closest to me and I've never had a bad experience there. Hobbyrama is a two story affair that caters for all aspects of the hobby whether it be RC, trains, planes, cars and supplies. Its a place you can wonder around and easily spend an hour before emptying your wallet on things you think you'll need.

You asked about any hobby shows up here and the only one that occurs is at the end of August called The Queensland Hobby Expo. It's gotten bigger over the last ten years, but it probably doesn't compare to the Melbourne one. Its still a great display of skills though and a fun weekend, if you've got farce-book all the info is posted there.

I'll keep posting things on occasion as things pop into me head that you might find interesting!

Andy  

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

University of New England.  I did both my degrees there in the 80's when it was really good.  From all accounts, it has gone downhill a bit lately.  Covid did not help.  Staff redundancies. Online courses.  Colleges closing.  A VC who seems crazy as a cut snake (why do Uni's not vet better people who they are going to pay $600K pa???).

The old New England Hobbies were in Armidale & Inverell but both gone now (owners retired, Armidale closed first then Inverell).

There is a new New England Hobbies just down the road from us in Uralla - https://newenglandmodelsandhobbies.com.au/ 

Well, its good to now there is at least somewhere relatively local you can go to to get supplies!

1 hour ago, ExchefAndy said:

Ah yes... Brisbane.

When arriving in the sunshine state make sure you wind back your watch one hour, and your life 50yrs!

The sunny state for shady people... There are loads of these, some are closer to the truth than I would care to admit. But I'll admit, it was one of the better decisions in my life when I moved here.

In regards to hobby shops, there are a few but I tend to frequent two in particular. Hobby One on the south side, and Hobbyrama on the north side. Hobby One has gradually down sized over the years and caters for RC mostly but has a fairly good inventory of paints, thinners etc. Its the closest to me and I've never had a bad experience there. Hobbyrama is a two story affair that caters for all aspects of the hobby whether it be RC, trains, planes, cars and supplies. Its a place you can wonder around and easily spend an hour before emptying your wallet on things you think you'll need.

You asked about any hobby shows up here and the only one that occurs is at the end of August called The Queensland Hobby Expo. It's gotten bigger over the last ten years, but it probably doesn't compare to the Melbourne one. Its still a great display of skills though and a fun weekend, if you've got farce-book all the info is posted there.

I'll keep posting things on occasion as things pop into me head that you might find interesting!

Andy  

Yes please! Hobbyrama sounds like my kind of place alright. 🙂 I was hoping to display this one at Melbourne but very likely, it's just not going to happen, so it'll be Brisbane that gets to see it in the plastic. Lucky you guys 😄

As for the shady people, mate, sadly, they are everywhere - including Melbourne. In saying that, I am glad I haven't experienced the "eshays" (?)..... I have so much to look forward to 😄

What kills me about Queensland is the wet heat. I'm a kiwi, I come from the land of the long white rain cloud. I tend to melt when exposed to the intense and oppressive humidity of Brisbane. 😄

Nah, I'll be alright - I'll acclimatise soon enough.

Thanks heaps though for the info - at least now I'll have an idea where to start

How about clubs? Do you know of any?

Haha, yep... eshays are everywhere. 

With the weather up here, it tends to be more about the storms that tear across Brisbane, the annual once in a hundred year etc hyperbole. I'm still dealing with insurance repairs to a bedroom after the February deluge🤦‍♂️. But, you'll have more blue cloudless days up here, to the point of it becoming boring. I've acclimatised to the point that I'll only notice the humidity when it thwarts my airbrush work.

I cannot really help out in suggestions with any clubs, there a few scattered around Brissy, I've never really looked myself to be honest. It has been one of those things that I couldn't do as a direct result of my old career. But there is one over at Tingalpa for RC planes that has always tempted me... like I need another drain on my wallet!🤔😄

If there is anything I can help you out with let me know

Andy

thanks mate, appreciate it

Hi all

Quick update

The edging is all done and putty applied. Still a couple of spots to clean up but nothing dramatic.

I've started to add some more detailing to the surface, with some gun batteries which i thought could be quite cool. I'm not trying to replicate the DS or its surface to its filming parents, so the relevancy of their existence is mute. Looking at them, I do need to change the shape slightly to mask their origins though. Just on the bottom front corners I think

I'm looking at making some kind of central building structure, like a control center of sorts, again, just to break up the surface more. Not too high, but high enough. I've been furiously rummaging through the spares box looking for something suitable but nothing is matching my idea, so I think it'll have to be scratch built.

Anyways, enough words

IMG_8619

IMG_8620

I just started the detailing, but you get the idea of where its going

IMG_8621

IMG_8622

IMG_8626

That's all for now, but open to ideas, suggestions or constructive critique

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all

For the past 2 weeks (well, more like 6 days when combined) I have been working away on the top plate. I decided to make something to go on top as I feel it needs more visual interest. Yeah, I know its the DS tiles I'm using but I don't really want this to BE the Death Star - more, my own interpretation. I wouldn't go calling my display a battle-station. Probably more a mechanical planet :) 

It's far from being finished - I still have heaps to do, but before I really get lost in this and put more energy into it, I thought l'd just get a general gauge if this is a good idea or not

It's basically superstructure parts from my ill-fated Bismark and other bits and bobs. My favorite bit is the landing platforms

IMG_8643

IMG_8637

IMG_8638

IMG_8640

IMG_8641

IMG_8642

This is where Im intending to put it

IMG_8647

IMG_8649

If all else fails, it could always be a new hull part of a space ship

IMG_8651

Well, that's it for now, but feel free to let me know what you think. 

As always, thanks for stopping by and having a look

hey again

Got one building done and primed and have started on the second one. I'm hoping to have the first one painted by the weekend. I have already drilled out the holes where the fibers will be going. I lost count after 50 and 8 drill bits later

The good news is it won't require a lot big lengths of fiber. I am contemplating sticking in just little bits of fiber and flood lighting the entire inside but I am not sure I can get much light through the top sections. They'd require longer lengths I think. Also, there would not be enough room to angle an LED bright enough to fill the space... unless I used SMD strip?

Enough pondering, here are the pics. I used my phone and not my proper camera coz I can't be faffed getting it all set up

20220815_201147

20220815_201126

20220815_201113

20220815_201048

20220815_201036

In black primer with a very light white primer highlight coat brings it all together nicely

20220815_211731

20220815_211748

20220815_211756

And together with the new building. I drilled out some vents on the side of the tower and I'll stick in some strips of clear sanded styrene to cover the openings from the inside. With a red LED shining up from the bottom it'll look pretty cool with the sanded styrene diffusing the light nicely. At least - that's the plan

20220815_201308

20220815_201234

20220815_201217

and lastly, the new position of both on the surface:

20220815_201356

Well, I think I have bored you all enough, but as always, please feel free to critique or suggest anything that could be improved.

Thanks for looking

Excellent.

I know about snapping drill bits.  I use those tiny little 0.2mm hand held ones you buy in packs of 10 from China for about $3 a lot.  Very fragile, can't handle any sideways movement.

Not sure how the tiny fibre-flood lighting will go?  The only times I've used fibre I still a small hole in the end of the LED and glue the fibre in it.

Thanks Thommo. Yeah. I'd have to add a plate of styrene to the bottom of it to make it work and I don't think I can get them to sit flush with the surface without the need to add some filler

Quick couple of extra shots showing how high the SD sits above the base:

20220815_221856

20220815_221940

https://flic.kr/p/2nEmHp5

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys

Firstly, to those that have been watching this I am truly sorry I haven't updated this for a long time. I found it too hard to keep posting on multiple sites at once, so I had to drop a couple and I chose them through traffic basically. I should have said something earlier but I just haven't.

Yes, it is painted and in the process of receiving the Fibers which is currently on hold while I wait for more to arrive.

If you are keen to see what she looks like, check out LSP: https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/76130-zvezda-star-destroyer-a-new-detailing-project/

I'll post some finished pics when it comes time but it's unlikely I'll be adding any further WIP pics to this thread (sorry)

• 3 months later...