ARC Discussion Forums
The Madhatter

Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Nice one - hope you'll do a thread on it?

As for AM stuff, I'd go the Falcon garbage chute and the Green strawberry hangar bay as its better for lighting than the  Falcon set. The only issue I have with the PE set is that it looks and feels too much like PE, which is why I did a combination of both. What parts you add will be determined by your budget.  I probably spent more than I needed to TBH

I did a lighting test tonight of the bridge and I am happy with how it turned out. I made a number of mistakes on the internals and had numerous electrical issues but I got there in the end.

31289209687_7b55a92dd7_c.jpg

46228054101_8e2eba77e3_c.jpg

32355723278_e1bd05e873_c.jpg

46228046511_70a7710ab4_c.jpg

I've also been cutting away at the body to accommodate the fibers. I've actually finished the whole top but just haven't taken any pics yet because it's not daylight

45315216405_abb85aa102_c.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to share the results of the lighting. I'm really happy with how it came out.

Till next time

Si

8 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

Nice one - hope you'll do a thread on it?

As for AM stuff, I'd go the Falcon garbage chute and the Green strawberry hangar bay as its better for lighting than the  Falcon set. The only issue I have with the PE set is that it looks and feels too much like PE, which is why I did a combination of both. What parts you add will be determined by your budget.  I probably spent more than I needed to TBH

Mucho gracias!

I've decided to do an ANH version with the blockade runner in the main hanger bay.   As such I won't be doing the garbage shute.

I've ordered a Blockade Runner off Shapeways.   Here is some other stuff I'm considering:

- resin main hanger bay

- battleship turrets for the main turbolasers

- ANH bridge panel off Shapeways

- tractor beam projectors off Shapeways

I'm not worried about being 100% accurate to the original ANH filming model.  I just want to get those few distinguishing features that help it stand out.   The rest will be some scratchbuilding old-school style with various greebles from my spares! 

I will also be using LEDs to light up the engines and main hanger bay.   Not sure yet if I'll be doing the fiber optics for Windows.

You have definitely inspired me!

OOOOoooo that light test turned out nice. Looking really good in those pictures. 

Patiently waiting for more :) 

21 hours ago, toadwbg said:

Mucho gracias!

I've decided to do an ANH version with the blockade runner in the main hanger bay.   As such I won't be doing the garbage shute.

I've ordered a Blockade Runner off Shapeways.   Here is some other stuff I'm considering:

- resin main hanger bay

- battleship turrets for the main turbolasers

- ANH bridge panel off Shapeways

- tractor beam projectors off Shapeways

I'm not worried about being 100% accurate to the original ANH filming model.  I just want to get those few distinguishing features that help it stand out.   The rest will be some scratchbuilding old-school style with various greebles from my spares! 

I will also be using LEDs to light up the engines and main hanger bay.   Not sure yet if I'll be doing the fiber optics for Windows.

You have definitely inspired me!

I had no idea there even was a face plate available. I did buy the turbo lasers but not the tractor beam projectors - although I probably should've as they're a pretty important part that Zvezda missed for some reason.  I just wasn't overly impressed by the quality of the 3D printing on the photos I saw - not enough to buy some. I think that's another item Falcon should make - I'd buy it. His quality is brilliant I must say.

I'm glad to hear your not hung up with reproducing the studio model with a view to make it your own. Personally, I find it more enjoyable and less limiting doing it the free and easy way. I generally don't give out advice, but I've been asked so many times before, when you go to detail it, try to make it look functional  - other wise it just looks like bits stuck on.

Yeah.....the question of whether to fiber or not to fiber. That is the question all young Jedi set out to seek. Again, personally, I prefer fibers to bare LED's behind the walls. I get the whole moving light source aspect, but if done wrong, you can loose the effect - especially if its not reflective enough on the inside. You could build light boxes behind the walls with strip ELD's glued onto the back wall but you wouldn't be able to get the random orange lights without fibers.

Look forward to seeing what you do with yours when it comes time.

7 hours ago, Brett M said:

OOOOoooo that light test turned out nice. Looking really good in those pictures. 

Patiently waiting for more 🙂

Thanks Brett 🙂 It'll be a few weeks now till another update as I am off to my Mother in Laws inevitable funeral on Tuesday before flying to NZ to spend what will likely be a not so festive Christmas break

Rest assured, once I have finished the neck off I will be posting some pics. I am in the midst of painting the neck walls and finishing off the detailing to the front panels now. The roof of the bridge is current;y drying and should be able to be released from it's clamps tomorrow

Thanks for showing an interest guys. I hope you all have a safe and sound Christmas break! :cheers:

Till next time

Si