ARC Discussion Forums
The Madhatter

Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Hi everyone

Well, time to bite the bullet and start on the "smaller" of the 2 Star Destroyers I have in my stash (well really, the Bandai mini SD's are the smallest I have but they are not ones I am going to detail). The bigger one is the Korbanth Super Star Destroyer which measures out to be about a meter or so long! The Bandai ones are to go with the SSD. I will build the monster one day but I want to tackle the one that requires the least amount of work first. I'll have to clear some room on my display shelf even for the standard SD but I think this will be worth it.

This kit needs no introduction as there have been a multitude of these built online. I bought this ages ago but just haven't had the mojo to put in the effort it deserves.

I will be adding details and of course lighting (which goes without saying really). To go with this kit, I have the Falcon 3D printed hangar bay, rubbish chute, shield generators and engine bells - all of which are beautifully made and smooth as a babies behind. I might even go to Shapeways and order a set of gun turrets too.

No pictures as yet as I have only just started but I'll add some soon enough.

As always, your feedback will be welcomed throughout the build - good or bad. If something looks wrong, say something. As nice as it is, I don't always need a "good job" and constructive critique is a good way to learn and be a better modeller. 

I will be starting with the engine block and have already removed the smaller molded on piping as they don't connect to the parts that they're meant to. It just looks weird

29891537568_f3ee6a9c35_c.jpg

See you all again soon

Si

OH YES! Love this kit. I still need to finish mine. Got burned out running fiber optics so took a break. Which hangar bay set are you using? I've gotten a few sales on mine but haven't seen any builds with it yet so... Keep us posted. Gonna be great.

Bill

Hey Bill

I ended up getting the Falcon set as it came bundled. It also comes with a MF and a blockade runner. Still trying to work out how to light the BR though without messing it up.

This is going to be good.

Update #1 - playing with the back end

So this is what Zvezda give you in terms of detail OOB

43222560564_697814779a_c.jpg

Nothing wrong with that at all. Once those bells go on, you don't see much unless you're looking

I removed the molded on pipes in the middle here because they don't even meet up to the parts at the end. They seem pointless and half done, which on a ship this size is noticeable

43036393935_16031e2476_c.jpg

Now here's what I've added to the surfaces (bear in mind I have only just started and there is a LOT more to do yet! I am just winging these details BTW)

The white bits are all cast resin pieces of bits I use a lot of

42132828190_184788be33_c.jpg

42132819280_0007c981be_c.jpg

42132813090_a63d151d5b_c.jpg

30072668378_f13c01e8c0_c.jpg

30072660508_c8caa41a2a_c.jpg

30072652598_72489a71b1_c.jpg

As you can see in those last 2 pics, I've gone outside what is on the filming model and added an insert to make things a little more interesting. I'll be adding some pipes going in later

Anyways, I'll update again once I've finished the other sides which will be a while away as I only build 3 nights a week

Thanks for stopping in and having a look

Si

NIce a start Si, I wish I had the patience to do detailing stuff like this. I lose interest very quickly these days.

WOW! just ...ummm....WOW. That's some really nice detailing added. True that a lot is hidden with the bells on but when you have details this good, it definitely sells that this is a huge space craft. Great Job. Did I mention...WOW!

Bill