Jump to content

Zvezda Star Destroyer - a new detailing project

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone

Some people have been wondering what kind of approach I'll be taking to painting, so for those who wanted to know, I took a couple of pics which should help answer it. I'm going to spare everyone the boredom of taking shots at every stage and just show you the first one. You'll get the idea from that. Needless to say, the painting process might take longer than first thought.

















As this is as exciting as it gets, the next update should see these panels finished - or very close to it. It's going to be a lot of fine masking which I hope actually works. These photos also help me to remember where I placed all the masks.....

As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look



Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks bud! LOL, it is a bit like that - but not quite as intense


Well, the experimental masking is done and the results are here. There are some panels which require a paint touch up because - as feared - the paint was too thin for the masks and ran under them in places. Lifted the paint off in others.

Over all though, I am pleased with how its turned out. I'm still debating whether or not to run a very thin filter coat over the whole area to tone down the enhanced panels.

I still have small detail painting, washed and dry brushing yet to go, so the look will change even more but what do you guys think? Should I leave them like they are or run a filter over the top?

















Those longer roof panels are on back to front, so ignore those and yes, I did see the  tape I left behind which has since been removed :)


As always, thanks for stopping in and having a look

Till next time


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.  Its just a light very heavily thinned base colour coat. Does precisely what you said. It's just the base paint work. Next is washing , dry brush and pencil in some panel lines 

Edited by The Madhatter
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Well, I have finally sorted out my last remaining hurdle and it's onto the final stretch - more or less. Yep, I have finally sorted out my mounting device and at long last, I will be able to slip the ship on and off it's mount (I'm not sure how many times I would want to but for transportation this will be invaluable)

all I have to do is attach the sleeve onto the bottom of the ship and we're good to go. I've got it so I have 4 separate power lines which I will be able to distribute to hangar bay lights, engines, superstructure and floodlights.

It's by no means pretty but it works which is more important. The wires will travel down the back side of the armature into the base. Once I have the last bit of wire covered, I'll paint it all black










As I said, not the prettiest stuff ever but I had to make do with what I had

Anyway, that's it for now.

As always, thanks for looking


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

LOL,  sorry mate,  I haven't touched it since the last update. I've had other things take priority. Hopefully I will be coming back to this one soon but it'll be a little while before it comes out from under cover.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...