Pretty new to ARC and just coming over from another forum where at the end of a post or comment, the member would use his real name or a fictitious name, that he or she wanted to be known by. I've noticed on ARC, most members do not include their actual name. I was just wondering why this is?

Just a question out of curiosity.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

for me, it is just an old habit from back in the days before Google became so widespread.

In those days, you didn't often use your real name on the internet,,,,,but, every board used a "Username"

Names aren't a big secret,,,,but, it is sooooo much easier for me to see and recognize "Sky King", for instance, on any of the boards that we both use.

I know the nickname belongs to a Picker in Texas, and he knows that my Rex and Cag variations belong to a Singer in Tennessee.

edit, oh, and there has to be some way to tell all the Petes, Seans, Toms, Daves, and even the 4 Rexes apart

Edited by Rex

Its because my real name is Quatrogon Zebulurk Sempsonidys McFugglebudge Mosisus Jeffersmith Brzeczysczykiewicz XVIII, and it takes wayyy to long to type it out each time.

Edited by RKic
1 hour ago, RKic said:

Its because my real name is Quatrogon Zebulurk Sempsonidys McFugglebudge Mosisus Jeffersmith Brzeczysczykiewicz XVIII, and it takes wayyy to long to type it out each time.

But it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove...🤓

I generally use my first name on sites where I used my pseudonym (maternal family name). On some discussions I participate in I retain my anonymity, mostly due to the nature of some of the lunkheads that participate there. The only place I use my full name is hyperscale, because Brett prefers it.

Ken

I use my first name because then I'll never forget what my username is:dontknow:. Honestly, I'd forget where I put my keys in a phone booth so I follow the KISS principle... Keep It Simple Stupid :tease:...LOL!

Regards,

Don

There was a documentary broadcast in the UK in 1977 entitled Alternative 3. It told the story of how the Earth could no longer support live and in response there were three alternatives to save the human race.

1: Reduce the human population on Earth

2: Move underground

3: Colonise Mars.

The documentary was fake, but conspiracy theorists maintain that it is real. In 1998 the band Anathema released an album entitled Alternative 4. While I enjoyed the album when I was younger, I find it a bit gloomy these days. Their album a fine day to exit is however still one of my favorites.

I just use what has always been a nickname...based on my last name "White". So original. The numbers spell out my job specialty from back in the Navy...8251= P-3 flight engineer

¯\_()_/¯

24 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I always use my given name on every forum. 

Same here.  Call me old fashioned but I believe our names are more than just labels for us.  I believe we have to stand by our names because, in the end, it's all we have.  If something is important enough to say, then stand up to it by signing your name on the dotted line rather than hiding behind something fake.  If your name is fake, then how can I trust what is being said by the person? 

Eric

Not sure why but I surely wish everyone would sign their name at the end of each post or comment; justs makes everything so much more friendly and personal. 

Peter :wave:

You posted the same topic in October ... and I just don't understand why ... what I mean is, there's no guarantee we'd use our real names anyway.

Pete

2 hours ago, DONG said:

Mine is just my first name and first initial of my last name not some p#rn name :kissing2:

Don Gerard

It may not have been your intent, but I snicker a bit, every time I see it. 

2 hours ago, john53 said:

I had a fellow employee give me some dongs, he was

from Vietnam, really weird having a guy wanting to give you dongs!!!---John

Did he look at you and say, "John, my dong is in your hand." 

Just curious, what the heck does it mean? I sometimes sit here trying

to figure what a Slartibart is. I was going to use Hunyock, my father use

to call me a Hunyock.---John

Edited by john53

My first name is John, but I've also gone by Moose since I was just a little Moose - in fact, my father was called Moose since he was a little Moose too, it comes from our last name.  When I joined the Internet back around 1995, it was all new and open, and few people posted their real names.  I grabbed Moose135 (I flew KC-135s) when I signed up with Prodigy (remember them?) and have used it as a screen name on most everything since.  If you spot a Moose135 on a forum somewhere, it's most likely me.

Moose  er, John...