F-101B Kitty Hawk vs Monogram

There was a long discussion about the kit in this thread.   It makes for interesting reading since the thread started two years ago when the kit was announced, and picks up again toward the end when the kit started shipping. The concerns about the kit seem to center around the shape on the intake ramps, the multiple part fuselage, and the use of PE instead of plastic molding for the cockpit details. The kit also includes parts for the RF-101B .  I have grand plans of doing a build-off mega review comparing it to the monogram kit if I can finish some other projects first.

I'd like Kitty Hawk instrument panels and Monogram side consoles for the cockpit.

Kitty Hawk scores a lot of points with me, especially indented panel lines, you-know-where-they-go MLG, a nicer rotating weapons bay cradle, clear tip for fin light, aforementioned instrument faces, nicer burner cans and curved compressor face bullets.

Negatives compared to the Monogram are the aforementioned side consoles which are too 2D, grey plastic instead of clear inter-cockpit blast shield, lack on SAGE data link antennae for the shoe which is provided, and 'Mr Song' trademark slightly squashed canopy bow frame shape (but looks okay closed). 

I loved the Monogram when it came out in 1985, but things have moved on thirty-three years and the Kitty Hawk is, at least, somewhere a quarter of a Century on (no pun intended) from that. Both have the incorrect r/h fuselage vent (which are not symmetric) so they're both equally wrong. 

If the canopy doesn't bother you (and it doesn't bother me) then the Kitty Hawk is way ahead and Aires, amongst others, will come up with the usual array of enhancing resin. Kerching! 

Tony 

As regards the canopy.  I was perusing the interwebz, reading a review of HobyBoss's F3H Demon and noticed the canopy.  Now, bear with me as this is possibly a little unorthodox but that's right where I live, so...

Looking at the windscreen, I noticed its general shape and it's from a McDonnell product and may....and I do mean may be a candidate for modification to make it the right shape for an F-101B windscreen.  I do not have either kit but if I had both, I'd certainly take that HobbyBoss windscreen and hold it next to the KH 101 and see if 1) width was a problem, 2) if it could be filed to shape to bring the center section up with the side glass flowing downward and out to match the 101's windscreen. 

168485407_F3Hwindscreen148.jpg.4729260b84a1f2a394dd5876dded2892.jpg

Since the F3H windscreen seems to have a surplus of plastic, it looks like a prime candidate for being nice and circular in cross-section and then take the Monogram main canopy for the rest.   That means having three kits...one of which will survive the fusion.  If anyone has all three...maybe give a critique of the idea. 

148 F3H canopy compare to F101 01c.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister