1/48 - Dassault Mirage F-1 family by Kinetic - 3D renders - release 2019-2020

Wauw! That's cool! I can finally build a decent Mirage F-1 as from 2019. 

Still have the original presentation from 1974, I assume, because it is mentioned in the folder this bird will be available as from 1975.

Been travelling all over the world with me this nice document.

WZjXT67.png

Sorry for the bad pictures taken, will scan the complete folder tomorrow at the office and post in it's full 1974 shades of French colours.

Looking forward to the release of this kit.

Kind regards,

Robert Jan

Edited by Speedy
Upload better quality picture

:yahoo:yeah! i'm sooo glad i didn't pull the trigger to buy the KH kit!

a 1/48 Mirage F.1 is a "must have" for me...as i already have the decal set waiting for the kit!

Thank you Kinetic!

This is super news. I have been struggling with the ESCI kit for years and even picked up an FCM update set for it. Now I guess I can send it to file thirteen and have a better time when the Kinetic kit comes out. Have some decals at least so ready on that end.

Always thought that the F1 was very sexy.

Best modelling news of the year! Can't wait. I'm buying multiples. I am wondering though....

The F-1C-200 added about an extra 7 cm to accomodate the refuelling probe. I wonder if Kinetic will make it possible to accurately build the pre and post-refuelling probe variants.

As far as I know, the Esci/Italeri kit only accurately depicts the pre probe model, while the Kittyhawk kit, only the post-probe model. Also, will we be able to finally accurately build the F-1AZ?:

at77EW0.jpg

Edited by Hoosfoos
1 hour ago, Hoosfoos said:

Best modelling news of the year! Can't wait. I'm buying multiples. I am wondering though....

The F-1C-200 added about an extra 30cm to accomodate the refuelling probe. I wonder if Kinetic will make it possible to accurately build the pre and post-refuelling probe variants.

As far as I know, the Esci/Italeri kit only accurately depicts the pre probe model, while the Kittyhawk kit, only the post-probe model. Also, will we be able to finally accurately build the F-1AZ?:

at77EW0.jpg

We really won't know any of this until it is released. Looking at the CAD images I can't really tell. Kinetic normally release different variants so hopefully we will see them. 

2 hours ago, Hoosfoos said:

The F-1C-200 added about an extra 30cm to accomodate the refuelling probe. I wonder if Kinetic will make it possible to accurately build the pre and post-refuelling probe variants.

Hoosfoos, so the Italeri F-1 CT/CR kit I have, that comes with a refueling probe, is too short?

31 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Hoosfoos, so the Italeri F-1 CT/CR kit I have, that comes with a refueling probe, is too short?

Yes, because it comes from the original Esci moulds which was based on the F-1C, and not the F-1C-200. Esci & Italeri simply conveniently included an extra refuelling probe to the same mould.

47 minutes ago, Hoosfoos said:

Yes, because it comes from the original Esci moulds which was based on the F-1C, and not the F-1C-200. Esci & Italeri simply conveniently included an extra refuelling probe to the same mould.

7 minutes ago, Hoosfoos said:

Correction, the F-1C was lengthened by 7 cm to accommodate the refueling probe.

Thanks! 7cm isn't that much.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

Thanks! 7cm isn't that much.

The lengthening is barely visible but the added skinning (with the oblique edge on the sides) and curvature discontinuity at the bottom of the front fuselage is visible. 

c200frontFuselage.jpg

Edited by Laurent

On 8/2/2018 at 3:10 AM, Hoosfoos said:

The F-1C-200 added about an extra 7 cm to accomodate the refuelling probe. I wonder if Kinetic will make it possible to accurately build the pre and post-refuelling probe variants.

at77EW0.jpg

Hoosfoos, I assume you realize that this particular aircraft would need some additional work? It is not a simple F1AZ. It obviously started out as F1AZ #216, but as shown in this photograph it had been modified to serve as the prototype for a re-engining program that never went into full production. It is not so obvious from this angle, but the Atar 09K50 was replaced by a Russian SMR-95 engine (RD-33 from a MiG-29 specially modified for this purpose). The most noticeable difference is the nozzle, which looks nothing like a Atar 09K50 nozzle and, unfortunately, is also not the same as a RD-33 nozzle. It was probably the hottest Mirage F1 ever - my colleague was the test pilot. It would have been a fantastic upgrade for the fleet, but "unfortunately" sanctions against South Africa was lifted and suddenly we could buy new, more modern aircraft. This particular aircraft was also one of the first Western jets (if not the first) to participate in a MAKS airshow - it gave a fantastic show at MAKS 2001 at Zhukovsky.

Edited by Mfezi
20 hours ago, Mfezi said:

Hoosfoos, I assume you realize that this particular aircraft would need some additional work? It is not a simple F1AZ. It obviously started out as F1AZ #216, but as shown in this photograph it had been modified to serve as the prototype for a re-engining program that never went into full production. It is not so obvious from this angle, but the Atar 09K50 was replaced by a Russian SMR-95 engine (RD-33 from a MiG-29 specially modified for this purpose). The most noticeable difference is the nozzle, which looks nothing like a Atar 09K50 nozzle and, unfortunately, is also not the same as a RD-33 nozzle. It was probably the hottest Mirage F1 ever - my colleague was the test pilot. It would have been a fantastic upgrade for the fleet, but "unfortunately" sanctions against South Africa was lifted and suddenly we could buy new, more modern aircraft. This particular aircraft was also one of the first Western jets (if not the first) to participate in a MAKS airshow - it gave a fantastic show at MAKS 2001 at Zhukovsky.

Hi!

No, not aware that this particular Mirage was special, as potent as it sounds. Just hoping for an accurate F1AZ in general. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. It is a pity they didn't do the upgrade to the whole fleet - it would have been nice to see the F1's around the place for another decade or two - especially in this particular colour scheme.

Back to the topic - I'm very excited about this release. The Kitty Hawk kit was a disappointment accuracy wise, so I never got as far as purchasing one, and the Italeri kit is obviously nowhere near up to modern standards. I hope the standard F1C without the probe (so I can build a F1CZ of course) as well as the F1AZ are done eventually. The F1AZ has quite a different cockpit interior, nose and the retractable refuelling probe - it would be nice to see a dedicated release on that version.

Edited by Mfezi

Kinetic's, 

When you tool your new Mirage F1, could you possibly tool the spoilers as injection molded plastic, and not photo etched. Photo etched can be so flimsy, and difficult to make look nice and clean.  And while you're at it, maybe you could consider doing us all a favor and giving us a new tool MiG-23, that's accurate, and you don't have to cut the nose off and replace it with resin, just a thought. Thank you so very much for your time and attention on this matter.

Brad

50 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

When you tool your new Mirage F1, could you possibly tool the spoilers as injection molded plastic, and not photo etched. Photo etched can be so flimsy, and difficult to make look nice and clean.

I believe your request is technically impossible (numerous holes, part would be too thin to be injected).

In fact I think there should be no opened spoilers option as the spoilers are only opened in flight or when the pilot tests the controls when taxying.

Are you talking about the air brakes? Spoilers are usually found on wings and are specifically designed to decrease (or spoil) the lift with a secondary role as drag devices. I don't recall the F1 using spoilers at all.

If you are indeed talking about the air brakes (I think the F1 manual writes it "airbrake" one word) - even though it is true that they were virtually always closed on the ground, the open holes make them very visible and I suspect it would be difficult to make those integral with the fuselage molding and still accurate. It may be possible to do them as separate injected plastic parts, which you would have to install even if you want them closed. To show the detail off when open, PE is probably still the most accurate way to go, although I agree it would be nice to have an injected option.

Here is a picture which should demonstrate why PE is the natural choice, especially for an open airbrake option. Even closed it is difficult to see how this can look really accurate with injected plastic only:

w_mira10.jpg