Aoshima's Ancient Norm - A bear out of hibernation!

Sometimes, things don’t work out in real life like they do in theory. Anyone who’s ever designed something and seen it built has likely experienced this. It happens all the time, and in the field of aviation history, it’s a very common occurrence indeed. One perfect example was the “Norm”, a Japanese floatplane recce bird deployed in only very small numbers in the Pacific theatre of WWII.

The designers of the Norm had all kinds of great ideas for it, and it should have been a success. However, despite counter-rotating props and (technically) jettisonable floats, the E15K1 was just one of those cases where theory and reality were at loggerheads, and reality won. The few Norms put into service experienced all kinds of troubles, and most were shot down.

Equally plagued with troubles is the ANCIENT Farpro Japan kit of the Norm. Yeah, if you know me, you knew that I’d be busting out another Farpro at some time! Well, here it is! This ancient dog needs about 400 pounds of putty and elbow grease to even get it looking like a plane, let alone half-arsed. However, with some patience and work, it can be made to look acceptable, even against much more modern and forgiving kits.

Check it out below, and save yourself the pain of building it yourself. I mean, that’s what I’m here for!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/farpro-japan-1-72-e15k1-siun-norm/

farpro-shiun-077.jpg?w=350

Edited by Faust

Neat build and nice bit of history. That broken tail section picture  in your link looked nasty! Nice save there :clap2:. Lots of putty I saw too. Great build! Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Don

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts of never wanting to build those old  Aotaki kits . May they continue to rest in peace .

You did quite a good job on your .

Cheers, Christian  

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts of never wanting to build those old  Aotaki kits . May they continue to rest in peace .

You did quite a good job on your .

Cheers, Christian  

No worries, man. Just wait until I build the rest of my collection! Well, the A7M and Ki-100 at least, but likely the Buffalo and Helldiver will get built too, assuming I don't replace them with better kits, like Matchboxes. :)

Actually, I confess to building the  C6N Sauin in those desperate days of not having any other choices . It's still on the self pending replacement .

I also build between the Hasegawa KI-61 and the Aotaki bubble top KI-61 . It was superseded this year by the fine new KI-61 II . A totally different animal.

If you ever travel through North Carolina I'll be glad to donate which ever kits I might still have . I do not have the P-36  or the Buffalo .

Cheers, Christian