2018 IPMS USA National Convention pictures

Here are a few pictures I took of models which caught my eye.  These pictures are from Wednesday so there were not too many models on the tables yet, and it was not crowded.

2v2JneYRyx9awpY.jpg

2v2JneYzLx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jne79Fx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jne75qx9awpY.jpg

2v2JneRErx9awpY.jpg

I need to check the settings on my camera, some of these pictures look like the White balance is not correct. Any way, I will keep taking pictures and sharing.

51 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

I need to check the settings on my camera, some of these pictures look like the White balance is not correct. Any way, I will keep taking pictures and sharing.

Depending on the type of lights used in the hall, it could be that the light is changing - if you've seen the type of lights used in the average high school gymnasium, you'll know what I mean.  The color temperature continually cycles, so frames shot in sequence will have different light balance.  Shooting at a preset white balance won't really help that.  About the only way to fight it is to shoot in raw and correct the white balance in post processing.

Nice images!  Hope to see more from the show.

Edited by Moose135

I've shot plenty of models on the tables at Nationals, and my camera always hated green, and blue paint schemes.  I had to manually switch white balance with those subjects.  Everything else worked well with one particular setting. 

Other than the Harrier and Tomcat shots, there is a bit of pink cast showing up in all the white backgrounds. 

Post some more!

Rick L..

6 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Hurt H. Thank you for the pictures, looking forward to seeing more. Was there any industry news out of the show?

Brad

I have no idea about news!  I did not hear a buzz about anything. ZM is there with the Marines edition of the F-4J, They had a lot of them on Wednesday, but when I got to the vendor room at 11 or so on Thursday, the new Marines F-4J was sold out. That is the closest thing to News I noticed. 

here are some more pictures. Some of my pictures today were also out of focus  😫 I need to work on my photography...

I spoke with the gentleman who built this RF-4C .. in 1966 ... converted from an aurora kit. yeah. It has suffered from damage but it was built over 50 years ago, and the paint work is up to contemporary standards. I was really impressed

2v2JnwUfLx9awpY.jpg

I liked the weathering on this truck

2v2JnwUwyx9awpY.jpg

This is 1/43rd. I really admire builders who build this cleanly in tiny scales

2v2Jnwv7Tx9awpY.jpg

News coverage

2v2JnwvYGx9awpY.jpg

Tiny ships are hard to photograph, but never cease to amaze me

2v2Jnw3Vnx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw3DCx9awpY.jpg

Here are some aircraft which I found interesting

2v2Jnw3Bhx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw3fqx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw3fqx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw2dGx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw2qgx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw2CTx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jnw2hmx9awpY.jpg

This post is getting long, but you get the idea. Lots of very well done models in all scales, subjects, and styles.  As I look at these I find my self feeling inspired to build a master work for the Nats, but also intimidated since my work does not come close to this level. That will not stop me from trying.

16 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Hurt H. Thank you for the pictures, looking forward to seeing more. Was there any industry news out of the show?

Brad

Nothing that hasn’t already been announced. Kinetic has built ups and sprue shots of the 1/48 M-346 Master, MBK has the box for Wingnut Wings 1/32 Manfred von Richthofen ‘personality’ edition which will include a resin figure, Zoukei Myra had some new 1/48 and 1/32 pre-finished airfield and carrier bases along with separate wooden frames to hold them, and there was the earlier announcement by Kinetic of the 1/48 Mirage F-1.

There is not really a large manufacturer presence here, only Eduard and Kinetic. Eduard has one of the largest vendor areas at the show, and plenty of the new 1/48 109G-10 on sale, and lots of kits and overtrees and other aftermarket. Pretty much all the overtrees went pretty quickly. They have not got anything new announced here though.

Thanks for posting the images - the work looks great.

I agree with Moose for the most part on the WB but in this instance, the WB really isn't off. Carefully at looking at the photographs, the colors are quite good, it's the exposures that are off in the suspect images: under exposed.

I always shoot in RAW but even JPEGS can be adjusted for exposure: highlights and shadows.

Thanks you again fopr posting the photographs and looking forward to seeing more.

Peter

7 hours ago, RedCrown said:

I see that Sierra Hotel is one of the venders at the show. Does anyone know if they have there F-22 correction set for the Academy kit available with the corrected nose, vertical tails and stabs? Thanks

They do

8 hours ago, Peterpools said:

The colors are quite good, it's the exposures that are off in the suspect images: under exposed.

I am glad you mentioned this, I saw your post while eating lunch. I noticed the shutter speed seemed fast when taking pictures. So,  the next time I was in the room I had done something while messing with the camera, I think I manually gave it more apeture. I was using program auto mode.

I think I undid that problem, and I also gave it a full step of over exposure which makes the pictures look a little better on the camera screen.   We will see when I get home and upload more pictures. 

13 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

I am glad you mentioned this, I saw your post while eating lunch. I noticed the shutter speed seemed fast when taking pictures. So,  the next time I was in the room I had done something while messing with the camera, I think I manually gave it more apeture. I was using program auto mode.

I think I undid that problem, and I also gave it a full step of over exposure which makes the pictures look a little better on the camera screen.   We will see when I get home and upload more pictures. 

Kurt,

As Peter said, your pictures are basically underexposed.  Your WB balance in most pictures is fine. In some pictures what should be white is more towards a gray tone. In other pictures the subject is underexposed.  I'm thinking that you have your meter set at Matrix, which is the full frame. You'd be much better off using Center Weighted or even Spot, so that the camera concentrates its exposure calculations on just the subject, not the entire scene which basically has a brighter background.  I'd also recommend using Aperture Preferred so that you control the Aperture and ISO, and the camera will adjust the shutter speed.  In Auto mode the camera is basically making all the decisions for you.

You also might consider using a flash. Many cameras today will let you adjust the flash and even use it as a fill flash.

Joel 

Edited by Joel_W
22 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Kurt,

As Peter said, your pictures are basically underexposed.  Your WB balance in most pictures is fine. In some pictures what should be white is more towards a gray tone. In other pictures the subject is underexposed.  I'm thinking that you have your meter set at Matrix, which is the full frame. You'd be much better off using Center Weighted or even Spot, so that the camera concentrates its exposure calculations on just the subject, not the entire scene which basically has a brighter background.  I'd also recommend using Aperture Preferred so that you control the Aperture and ISO, and the camera will adjust the shutter speed.  In Auto mode the camera is basically making all the decisions for you.

You also might consider using a flash. Many cameras today will let you adjust the flash and even use it as a fill flash.

Joel 

Thank you Joel. I never really understood those settings.

8 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Thank you Joel. I never really understood those settings.

Kurt,

Today's cameras are amazing but the learning curve is long. I've been into photography on and off since I was 13 and I'm 70 now. When I got my 1st DSLR, I was truly lost. 

But there's a fun and easy way to learn the basics. You Tube has thousands of instructional video threads. Just fine one or 2 photographers whose presentations  you like and starts at the level you want to start at, and go from there. Once you've got the basics down, it's a lot easier, and certainly more fun. 

Joel

I think this year is the first time I've ever seen TWO B-32s on the tables.  The one shown above is the Anigrand resin kit with major corrections.  The other is an Aviation USK vac, also with massive corrections.  Both are absolutely gorgeous.  My pics are all on my phone..I'll try to post some after we get home.  Hopefully our flight out tomorrow won't get delayed by another dust storm!

SN

Here are some more models I liked, I took these pictures on Friday

2v2Jn7mYjx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7mtrx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7mAyx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7mfdx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7mbNx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7mv2x9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn74mNx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7D4dx9awpY.jpg

2v2Jn7Dknx9awpY.jpg

Next year, the Nats will be in Chattanooga, TN, so it is within driving distance. Now I need to decide what to build for the 2019 National Convention.