2018 IPMS USA National Convention pictures

Oh yeah, at one point there were 3 B-58s on the table

There was this camouflaged B-58 

2v2Jnw2pLx9awpY.jpg

But it was not there Friday. Maybe it was moved to a different category, but I could not find it again. It looks better than my picture would indicate.  It is not common to see 1 B-58, much less 3 of them

Wow 3 B-58 kits! That must be some sort of record. I would think we are seeing more of these as there was a decent decal sheet recently issued by Caracal Models. I only have one of the Monogram 1/48th kits but I would really like to do that camo version as well as a NMF one. Have to think about it now.

Oh and forgot to add that there are also some new update sets from Fisher Model as well as Lone Star Models. Nice additions to the still very nice Monogram 1/48th kit.

Edited by skyhawk174
13 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Would really love to see the Monogram B-58 re-issued once again. Odds are that the molds are long gone. 

Joel

Joel

They're out there I found one a couple of weeks ago in a small dump of a hobby shop in a city east of here.

Don

Why would they move it to, “What if?”  It’s a real aircraft, with a paint scheme that was at least proposed, and documented in TOs.  Why move it to What If?  I thought paint schemes weren’t supposed to matter for judging.

Heck, I should be able to paint something in purple and pink splinter, and as long as it’s a well applied paint job, that should have no bearing on judging.

I guess we would have to read the rules of the contest. The builder is saying "what-if it was painted this way"? 😁

Several years ago I built a Do 335 and painted it with smoke rings and Italian Air Force markings. The Do 335  existed but not in those markings. For sure this is a what-if.

Deer Kurt H,

I can not thank you enough for taking the time and making the effort to post these photos of the Phoenix Nationals🙏👍😍

Its hard to find updates on the and you have made my day by posting when you can. 

Bless you and Thank you very much,

Mr.Happy (In name only)

1 hour ago, Waco said:

Why would they move it to, “What if?”  It’s a real aircraft, with a paint scheme that was at least proposed, and documented in TOs.  Why move it to What If?  I thought paint schemes weren’t supposed to matter for judging.

Heck, I should be able to paint something in purple and pink splinter, and as long as it’s a well applied paint job, that should have no bearing on judging.

This! I've always wanted to do something like that and make a "scene" if they try to move it, just be cantankerous. 😊

1 hour ago, Waco said:

Here is the relevant  passage from the rules:

"Models placed in category 820 are based on kits, with the hypothetical component being the result of markings, finish, etc. Models placed in category 821 are hypothetical as a result of being scratch-built or kit-bashed. "

2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Would really love to see the Monogram B-58 re-issued once again. Odds are that the molds are long gone. 

Joel

It was reissued in 2008, and by Revell of Germany in 2010. So it has been a while, but not too long.  I do not think they would scrap the molds unless there was some kind of problem with the contract injection molding company. I sure hope not.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Happy said:

Deer Kurt H,

I can not thank you enough for taking the time and making the effort to post these photos of the Phoenix Nationals🙏👍😍

You are quite welcome!

4 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

How were the vendors? Any good buys? 

Here is a link to the vendors:

http://www.ipmsusanationals2018.org/vendors.html

I was not looking to buy much, but here are the things I noticed but either already had or did not want to haul across the country:

Badger had the Sotar 20/20 for $75

One vendor had a large quantity of Revell 1/32 P-51D for $25

Eduard was there with just about everything and they usually have good prices at the show. I just could not think of anything I needed

I did get a book from Warpaint books, and they had a  £ = $ sale, so the price in Pounds Sterling was charged in US Dollars, which was a good deal. 

I am sure there were notable releases and deals to be had, maybe others can comment.

Kitlinx had the Bradleys and a bunch of other armor at very good prices.  They had the 1/32 Revell P-51's for $25.  I got their 1/32 HK Mosquito for $100.

I don't understand why Eduard and Aires bring so much product, but refuse to take credit cards - seems like a lot of people pass up on buying stuff from them (myself included), because of that.

It's OK though, Zoukei-Mura took credit cards (and therefore $350 of my money...), and I got their last Marine 1/48 F-4J

PS - Mr. Z-M asked me if I knew of any real Spitfire Mk.1 or II, or early Hurricanes on display that they could get a look at.  RAF museum in England isn't an option.  I told them about the one in the Chicago museum - but it's hanging from the ceiling, so that doesn't do them any good.  They want to be able to put their hands on one for some reason...

I recently found out that the latest Kinetic Bradley release is really the Ouchi kit reboxed. I think they made some changes. On Lucky Models web site the price is great too, around $35 USD.

2 hours ago, CorsairMan said:

I have some!

I didn't get all of the models - but definitely the ones that caught my eye.  

https://imgur.com/a/kRpOwBr

Those were great. Thanks very much for sharing. Looks like there was some wonderful stuff on the tables and it tells me I am way behind in my skills but that is what makes this hobby so great. Lots of different levels for us to enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...