B-2 / Airshow questions

1 hour ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Is there an airshow where you can see a B-2?

Last year Maxwell AFB. B-2 do appear on airshows.

1 hour ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Is there an airshow where you can see both blue angels and thunderbirds together?

Never heard of such but it might be my ignorance :)

Edited by Helmsman

Saw both perform at Dayton in 2003, and the Canadian Snowbirds were there as well.  Also saw Snowbirds and Thunderbirds together at a show in Battle Creek, MI around that time frame, too.

-Ryan

Blues and T-birds typically get together each season ...but the shows aren't open to the public. They alternate between each others home bases.

One year at NAS Pensacola we had the Thunderbirds, Snowbirds, and Army Golden Knights all together for two days.

It is pretty rare to see them in the same venue.  I saw the BA & T-Birds in the same show at Pease AFB in 1988.  That was cool in itself but the best show I recall seeing was one  in England after Desert Storm, the BA, T-Birds, Frecci Tricolori, Patrolle de Swiss, & the Red Arrows.  This was an awesome show.  I remember the Swiss commentator constantly saying during the Patrolle de Swiss display: Flying the Hahka Hunta,  a most beautiful aircraft to fly.  Non-stop flying from 1000-1800 hrs.

John

On 8/2/2018 at 9:22 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

Is there an airshow where you can see a B-2? 

Is there an airshow where you can see both blue angels and thunderbirds together? 

I’ve seen the B-2 more often at the Rose Bowl Parade then at airshows.

I’ve seen the Blues and Thunderbirds together once, I think it was at the Abbotsford Airshow.

I’ve seen both teams individually with the Snowbirds multiple times.

7 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’ve seen the B-2 more often at the Rose Bowl Parade then at airshows.

I’ve seen the Blues and Thunderbirds together once, I think it was at the Abbotsford Airshow.

I’ve seen both teams individually with the Snowbirds

The Blues and Tbirds have never been together at the Abbotsford Airshow, although the Snowbirds have been seen individually with both several times here.

For the B-2, I've seen flyovers at a few shows. I've only seen it as a static at Nellis, and I imagine Whiteman would always have one.  ACC usually has a page with the flyover schedule, but it doesn't seem to be working right now (or there is nothing scheduled other than demo teams).  2019 is definitely not scheduled yet, they usually announce around March, but the flyovers can change - so shows probably only know a few months beforehand.

For the teams together, I've heard of it happening two or three times in recent decades (one being the Columbus show mentioned above), so it's exceedingly rare (requiring DOD approval). Next year's Thunderbird's show in Fargo the same weekend as the Blues in Duluth might be about as close as they can get.

being an old Stick in the Mud guy, my wife and I use to attend the Reading Air Show back in the early 1970's and at one of the last shows we went to it was packed with the very best:

The Blue Angels 

The Thunderbirds

The Canadian Snowbirds

The Army Black Nights

and the best civilian aerobatic pilots

What a show. The Thunderbirds  and Blue Angels were still flying their F4 Phantoms and what a show.

memories for sure

Peter :yahoo:

Edited by Peterpools

Yeah I would expect Whiteman to have an airshow next year, that's always the best bet to see one.  Last year I went to Barksdale, they had one on static there, that's only the 2nd time I've seen it on static display outside of Whiteman, the other time was at Nellis.

Last weekend it flew at Offutt, and next weekend in St. Joseph, MO it will fly-by there. 

David

On our drive home from Phoenix the week before last, we detoured south of I-70 (because my teenage daughter LOVES the B-2) and swung by Whiteman in the slim hope that we might be able to see one on the ground or in the air. I wasn't terribly hopeful, but didn't want to disappoint her, so we stopped at the gate, took a few photos of the B-29 there, then drove around the perimeter of the base. No joy - almost impossible to see anything from the public roads. So that I could at least say we tried our best, I offered one more loop around the base  before we headed to St. Louis (this was about 5:00PM on a Wednesday afternoon). Just as we start driving along the south perimeter, a B-2 takes off right in front of us, followed very shortly after by a second one. They're quite amazing and rather surreal to see in the air. I was driving, so I wasn't able to get many photos, but my daughter was able to shoot some pretty good ones. This is one of mine that shows both of them on their way somewhere (I was watching the news over the next 24 hours to make sure we didn't see an airstrike taking off from Whiteman on its way to bomb Syria, Iran, or someplace similar). Through dumb luck, I scored some good Dad points with my daughter.1860129559_B-2ssmall.jpg.ff3081947dd92a3943cf3054ba5830d9.jpg

It was very cool to see B-2s "in the wild," so to speak - just like photographing planes at Red Flag 18-3 the week before. Way better than any airshow!

Cheers,

Scott

On 8/10/2018 at 2:28 AM, Camus272 said:

B-2 flyovers are a bit different- its very quiet, It just kind of appears and then its gone.  With the B-1 flyovers Ive seen they come by fast and loud and then quickly disappear.

Nothing like being a bone with it’s wings swept, in full afterburner flying above your head at 1500 or so feet.  Something to behold!

as for the B-2. Saw it three times. All just flying over head at various air shows. 

And for the teams I only ever saw one at a time not both of them together.  Unless it was the blues and the snow birds if I remember right. 

Edited by achterkirch