Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone can help, I'm still looking for good reference material on the F model Skycrane. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Ideally the Rotorhead, Swashplate and transmission deck. Also the Engines and nose landing gear areas. I did approach Errickson but no deal on any pictures or technical dimensions, possibly thought the crazy Brit would try and build one in his shed?

All help appreciated in advance.

Kind regards

Ian.

Edited by Wafu

Understand that Errickson paid for the rights to Skycrane production (from Sikorsky) so may be a little reluctant to release info.Maybe if you made it clear you wanted small scale info and not full size.....

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes you're right, Sikorsky sold all the type certificate to Erikson. I contacted them with a carefully worded email and had a reply within a week. 

They sent me a basic dimension sheet of the E and F models with rotor, airframe etc dimensions on, I was also told I couldn't use any Erickson logo's or wording on my model. I have to admit I was a little taken aback with this but as I'm modelling the Italian Forestalle Skycrane its doesn't matter. 

So, I'm now just waiting for a few carefully chosen photos from Erikson to come into my inbox.

This topic finally forced me to join after many, many years of just following the great helo topics. Not sure if it can help WaFu, but here we go...

Go to the wayback timemachine (https://web.archive.org/web) & copy/paste (http://www.ericksonaircrane.com/firefighting.asp); can choose any of the backup dates - I used July 11, 2007 and on the old Erickson page, the left side bar will have "Modeler Zone", from there you'll see the greeting from Dennis Hubbard. Can try the drawings and pictures pages...links may not necessarily be functional to be downloaded. My guess is following their exit from bankruptcy, banks. creditors or whoever had a financial stake had that section removed so licensing could be recovered and bring in additional revenue. Because modelers have so much of it. Can't stop the signal.

WaFu,

Only you know what exactly you are looking for, but this seems to cover the rotorhead and swashplate in some detail: https://slideplayer.com/slide/2346172/   When the page opens, at the top of the slideshow box will be a choice of video or slideshow. Click slideshow and expand to full screen.

Post pictures of your build!  I think the S-64 is a cool bird.

C2j

Edited by Cubs2jets

Ok guys you've made me very happy. Thank you for the links to the pictures and the online powerpoint, both very helpful.

Arotrhd, yes your correct, some of the pictures and all of the drawings I can't seem to open, however I can sone of them. The ones of the top deck area and the rear facing seat area are very helpful. As modellers we want more but they are more than I had this morning so thank you.

C2J, The powerpoint was great. One of the areas I'm struggling with is the rotor and engine's systems, pipework etc. I can't find anything on what looks like the APU.

So here is how far I am on my build.. I'm sorry its so rough but I've up-scaled the Revell 1/72 kit to 1/35. The Revell kit 'seems' to be fairly accurate to the eye so I'm happy to run with it.

Feedback is always welcome in what ever form you choose..:)

The cockpit is 3d printed with good old plastic card, rod and box for the airframe.

IMG_6357

This picture has the Gearbox to one side, the basis is the awesome Blackhawk Gearbox from Fab Resinworks, only hope he does'nt mind me hacking into his stuff?

IMG_6358

Cheers the Woo.

7 hours ago, Cubs2jets said:

S-64 APU

S-64 APU.jpg

SOLAR T-62T-16A2, the same apu as the CH-47. Its just a big AC geny bolted to a tiny centrifugal compressor/turbine.

Thanks C2J

Edited by Wafu

I've now found and bought a Skycrane maintenance manual from a aviation download site, however I can't see how the transmission oil cooler is driven when it's mounted aft of the APU? On the A model its mounted above the main transmission and driven by V belt on the tail rotor output shaft, on the E and F model its mounted on the starboard top deck, aft of the APU, sitting next to the tail shaft.

Any ideas/pictures Cubs2jets? Or anyone else for that matter?

Cheers the Woo

No direct knowledge, but from looking at pictures I'd guess electrically driven fan, possibly thermostatically activated.  The housing is certainly big enough to enclose an electric motor and the cooling air drawn in the front would do double duty cooling the motor and the hydraulic system heat exchanger. 

The benefit of this is a) no loss of power to drive the fan, b) no complicated connection to the drive components that, if they failed could compromise the drive train and 3) simplicity.

C2j

Certainly looks like no bleed from the drivetrain, I would wholeheartedly agree that the only other way would be electrical.

The differences between the E and F become more apparent the more I drill down.

Now all the imperfections are out of my shoddy build work it’s down to marking the rivet pattern. Will it be Rosie the riveter or do I take the plunge and decal her up with 1/4  and 5/16 mushroom headed, leaning to the latter being a A+C guy😎

3 hours ago, Wafu said:

Now all the imperfections are out of my shoddy build work it’s down to marking the rivet pattern. Will it be Rosie the riveter or do I take the plunge and decal her up with 1/4  and 5/16 mushroom headed, leaning to the latter being a A+C guy😎

Wafu,

In 1/35 I'd think your build would benefit from decal rivets...if you can stand the expense.

C2j

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Wafu said:

, I was also told I couldn't use any Erickson logo's or wording on my model. I have to admit I was a little taken aback with this but as I'm modelling the Italian Forestalle Skycrane its doesn't matter. 

Were I to build a Skycrane and wanted to do an Erickson aircraft for my personal collection, my response to that would be "hold my beer". Idiots. You may be able to chase someone selling those markings on a commercial basis, but an individual modelling it? 

Drewe, the biggest laugh is that the old 1/72 has Erikson decals, probably because it's the 'old' Erikson? I also think and I could be miles wide of the mark but company PR people sometimes are so off the true feeling of the CEO. I feel sure if I asked the CEO of the company he or she would see it's a way of promoting the company. 

With that thought, I'd better not get in contact with the Italian Forestale, they might say no😎

Edited by Wafu