1/72 Monogram F-105F accuracy

I just received a "new" sealed 1985 Monogram 1/72 F-105F. How

accurate are the molds? It has the 4 small triangles around the nose

cone base, strike camera under the nose and what looks like a 6 sided

raised plate on the wing top above the landing gear area. It also has raised plates

on the wing bottom one under a fuel tank pylon.The tail has 3 "devices"

molded on it  2 are near the trailing edge. What goes and

what stays for an early to mid 60's bomber version in NMF scheme?

Thanks---John

Edited by john53

Thanks, this pic, 1966 Thailand, is the era I am modelling, it shows no

cooling scoops on the rear fuselage and I think the gas gun vents are

filled? Anything else? Is the wing tip antenna there and the strike camera

under the nose, my eyes aren't what they use to be.---John

11g9AmM.jpg

Edited by john53

Is it an accurate painting? Looks dam good to me.

Also it's accurate with pics I have seen in Germany

and France around 1965-66.---John

Edited by john53

I just went to Pinterest and it said it's a photo. So there

was no F-105F Alpha Strike? If you can't trust the internet

who can you trust? When you think about it I don't think

there was ever a wing or squadron of F-105Fs, they complimented

the F-105D squadrons.---John

Uj1P017.jpg

U.K. 1966

Edited by john53

Yup and if you look aft you'll see the fuselage cooling scoop.

All these were on later SEA camo planes. The first Thuds that

came in in '65 and '66 were NMF early planes with none of these

options, that's what I am looking for, in fact Monogram LEFT OFF

the cooling scoop as it is suppose to be an "early bird", they did

however leave the holes for the scoops. Nothing like confusing

the all ready confused! Now I need to find a good PHOTO of an

actual early F-105F in NMF with a bomb load and the squadron

markings. So far all I have found is SEA camo ones and that painting

that's a fake.---John

2 hours ago, john53 said:

was no F-105F Alpha Strike? 

It looks to me like a painting, plus it appears to be signed by the artist in the lower left corner.  I wasn’t trying to dismiss any accuracy points, just noting it was not a photograph.

Hi John,

In addition to removing the list of items in your first post, you'll also need to remove the hydraulic line fairing that runs along the fuselage spine between the canopy fairing and the leading edge of the tail. I had originally thought the cooling scoops were added when the jets were camouflaged, but I've found a couple of photos of silver jets with the scoops. You'd need a photo of your subject to be 100% sure. F-105s sent to SEA would have been painted silver. The only NMF Thuds after ~1962 were the Thunderbirds jets. 

Edit: Just saw your post over on Hyperscale. Keep the barrier hook. It was added ~1962.

Cheers!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
8 hours ago, Finn said:

There was Ryan's Raider which flew the F:

f-105f_2.jpg

you can see the strike camera as well as one of the antenna just aft of the radome.

Jari

Is that taken in Vietnam? It's got wrap-around camo! I didn't know they tried that during the war. That's kind of cool. 

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Hi John,

In addition to removing the list of items in your first post, you'll also need to remove the hydraulic line fairing that runs along the fuselage spine between the canopy fairing and the leading edge of the tail. I had originally thought the cooling scoops were added when the jets were camouflaged, but I've found a couple of photos of silver jets with the scoops. You'd need a photo of your subject to be 100% sure. F-105s sent to SEA would have been painted silver. The only NMF Thuds after ~1962 were the Thunderbirds jets. 

Edit: Just saw your post over on Hyperscale. Keep the barrier hook. It was added ~1962.

Cheers!

Ben

Thanks Ben, it's the same deal as the F-100, silver paint not NMF. Also I guess

the wheel wells and inside of gear doors might have been silver lacquer color

or possibly chromate green. Leaning more towards silver lacquer. I'm still searching

in vain for a picture.---John

The "photo" or "painting" is actually a photo of a modified F-105F/G kit, digitally reproduced and pasted and retouched (to change serial numbers). There were very few F-105D or F models seen in "natural metal" as the "Project Lookalike" aluminum-paint coating was applied to most of the jets. Conversely, most of the B models were in natural metal until remaining examples were camouflaged for ANG use.

13 hours ago, john53 said:

was no F-105F Alpha Strike? If you can't trust the internet

who can you trust? When you think about it I don't think

there was ever a wing or squadron of F-105Fs, they complimented

the F-105D squadrons.---John

Uj1P017.jpg

U.K. 1966

This photo was taken at Wethersfield's open day  on June 11th. 1966. this airplane was assigned to the 49th. TFW based at Spangdahlem in Germany.

1 hour ago, Paul Boyer said:

The "photo" or "painting" is actually a photo of a modified F-105F/G kit, digitally reproduced and pasted and retouched (to change serial numbers). There were very few F-105D or F models seen in "natural metal" as the "Project Lookalike" aluminum-paint coating was applied to most of the jets. Conversely, most of the B models were in natural metal until remaining examples were camouflaged for ANG use.

So it's actually an altered photo? Hmmmmmm. As for the silver paint I to this day make that mistake

with Huns, probably a lot do, the silver "paint" sure has me fooled, I'll probably keep calling it NMF and

will be corrected for life! Just doesn't sound right calling it a silver painted plane, but it is.---John

20 hours ago, Finn said:

There was Ryan's Raider which flew the F:

f-105f_2.jpg

you can see the strike camera as well as one of the antenna just aft of the radome.

Jari

This picture represents the EF-105F, it was followed by the F-105G.  The Revell-Monogram kit you have is actually an "EF", if you want an "F" you will have to make sure your markings match and correct because the early "F" models were natural mental, no after burner cooling scoops, no triangular antenna behind the radome, no gun camera, or gun gas vents...but then came "Project Lookalike" where the natural metal jet's were painted the with a silver lacquer paint...check your referances though.

That was a temporary designation, they were Gs. I believe the Air Force never officially

acknowledged such a thing as an EF. But I was also informed that some early Fs had wild

weasle equipment. Talk about government bureaucracy confusion. Well the final word I

am hearing is they were Fs with some weasle equipment. Hope this confuses you as much as me.--John

Edited by john53