Su-33 1/48 (Academy + Wolfpack)

Hi everybody, this is my Su-33 in 1/48th; I obtained it from the Academy Su-27 with the Wolfpack resin conversion. Decals are from Begemot; the deck was scratchbuilt...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

14 hours ago, Piker38 said:

Which paints did you use ?

I used Mr. Paint set for Su-33:

The problem is that they don't have the correct hue: the 201 is a pure gray, while on the Su-33 has a blue hue. The 199 is too bright and a bit dark compared to the original. The 200 is the less correct because is extremely dark, much more than what you can see on the plastic spoon of the photo. I have corrected them all by mixing them with gray and blue Gunze but I can not tell you the precise percentage as I did it by trial and error...

Most excellent work there with some great painting. Love the pilot figure. Your work on that deck is outstanding too. The whole scene works and it is a great diorama. Nice to know the Wolfpack set works. Sure wish I could get to try some of that paint here in Canada but it is not available in my hobby shop and don't expect it to be.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:16 AM, Lorebor said:

I used Mr. Paint set for Su-33:

The problem is that they don't have the correct hue: the 201 is a pure gray, while on the Su-33 has a blue hue. The 199 is too bright and a bit dark compared to the original. The 200 is the less correct because is extremely dark, much more than what you can see on the plastic spoon of the photo. I have corrected them all by mixing them with gray and blue Gunze but I can not tell you the precise percentage as I did it by trial and error...

I used the Mr Paint set too except I substituted AKAN's Light Blue grey from their Su-33 set for 201 as you are correct about 201 not being the correct hue. I compared the MRP (Mr Paint) colors to the AKAN colors and actually found the MRP paints less intense in color than AKANs, which are matched very closely to the actual paints (I've seen pics of AKAN paint chips placed on the wing of a freshly painted Su-33).

In any case, your finished product is beautiful and the colors look spot on. 

3 hours ago, Matt Walker said:

Great work!

I think the MRP colors are meant to be for the later, hard edged camo, which was brighter than the earlier soft edged version.

M

The MRP colors are representations of the current camo colors used on Su-33s. There are both hard and soft edge versions of the scheme with the new colors. Perhaps you are thinking of the earlier colors worn by the Su-33. Here is a photo showing the older camo on the aircraft in the foreground and the newer camo in the background.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...