5 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Is there an A-10C that you can build with the available kits?

Italeri makes one, but I hear it is lacking in a number of areas. Others will know more.

I currently have all four available kits here at the house (Revell, Hobbyboss, Italeri and Tamiya). I would definitely stick with the Revell and Hobbyboss kits. The Tamiya is very basic and not at all accurate. That and it was originally released in the late 70's. The Italeri kit is ok, but the details are really soft and the nose is too square. 

The HB kit has some shape issues, but for ease of build and relatively decent detail out of the box, I would rate this one first. The Revell kit is solid when it comes to accuracy, but suffers from fit issues. Basically, the pros and cons of both the HB and RM kits are reversed. The A-10 is a subject I don't get too hung up on, so the shape issues of the HB kit don't bother me. I would rather back date it to an ODS airframe that deal with the fit problems of the RM kit.

Now, to provide a direct answer to your question, The HB kit would be best for an A-10C (with minor updates needed) and the RM kit would be best for an ODS jet.

Dave

Just to clarify, make sure you the Monogram kit. Revell actually made an A-10 years ago before the merger with Monogram, and it's as bad as every other Revell kit of that timeframe. You can probably only find it on eBay or at a vendor table at a model show, but be aware it's out there. I believe it has a picture of the model on the boxtop.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, Mstor said:

Italeri makes one, but I hear it is lacking in a number of areas. Others will know more.

When the Italeri kit was announced, if I remember correctly about a decade ago, it had also produced two detail sets. I think one was for the cockpit and the other one for the engines. Unfortunately, I missed the opportunity of buying either set. If you can find them you should definitely buy them!

2 hours ago, jester292 said:

And to piggyback, for a question I’ve wanted to ask:

Can the airbrakes on the monogram kit just be cut from the wing frame and be posed closed? Or is there more to it?

I’ve done that before.  Wasn’t too terribly difficult.  

Geoff M

On 8/4/2018 at 6:31 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Just to clarify, make sure you the Monogram kit. Revell actually made an A-10 years ago before the merger with Monogram, and it's as bad as every other Revell kit of that timeframe. You can probably only find it on eBay or at a vendor table at a model show, but be aware it's out there. I believe it has a picture of the model on the boxtop.

I still think the Monogram kit has the best shape ... and you are right, the old Revell had sink marks, awful fit and detail, but IMO had a much better overall shape than the Tamiya, Italeri or the 32nd Trumpeter kits.