Hey ARC,

Some time ago, I picked up two Revellogram kits for less than 10 bucks at a swap meet. One was the F-5 and the other was the F9F Panther.

My goal is to get the Panther done before school starts. I have to be back in the classroom on the 20th, but the kids don't start until the 23rd. I'm going to try to get as much as I can done before work gets in the way. Ultimately, I'd like to try to finish both. Realistically, I'm hoping to finish the Panther.

So...here we go!

Vxn5QsX.jpg

Wish me luck!

-O

Edited by oortiz10

I've built this a few times, excellent kit. Are you going to do Lt.  Royce Williams

Panther that downed 4 Russian Mig-15s in 1952? The man was a one man

Mig killer that day! Going to watch this build.---John

On 8/4/2018 at 7:38 AM, john53 said:

"Are you going to do Lt.  Royce Williams...?"

Hey John, I was planning on doing a USMC Panther. Problem is, my lab puppy got into my office and shredded my decal sheet.

w5nKl3Y.jpg

I'm still going to do a GSB Panther, but I'll have to see what markings I can find for sale. Anyway, despite the decal setback, I've continued mashing plastic. I've gotten the cockpit painted and installed, and the fuselage halves together. The cockpit is mostly OOB. I say mostly because I did add some seat belts cut from strips of paper and some "rope" ejection pulls made from twisted strands of fine copper wire.

safzDn9.jpg

los3Ngw.jpg

While the glue on the fuselage dried, I turned my attention to the lower wings. I decided I'd rescribe the panel lines, so I went ahead and did that before I painted the wheel wells.

yBOg3Yx.jpg

That's where I'm at with the Panther. I'll be rescribing the fuselage next. Thanks for stopping by. Questions and comments are welcome. Feel free to drop your two cents in the bucket!

Cheers!

-O

Nice! I did Ted Williams' USMC F9F-5 once. He was a really good ball player

for the Red Sox back in the late 40s to early 50s. He crash landed a brand new

-5 and walked away. He also was a wing man for Colonel John Glenn. Looking

most excellent my friend!---John

Hey ARC,

Not a whole lot to show with this update. Just wanted to share that the wings and fuselage have been mated, and the whole airframe's been rescribed. I'm waiting on a masking set I ordered. Once it arrives, I'll be able to start splashing some paint. I was also able to track down a set of replacement decals. Those are on their way too. Maybe I'll turn my attention to the fiddly bits while I wait for my goodies to arrive.

TrlH8Yl.jpg

Thanks for stopping by. As usual, your comments and criticisms are welcome.

Cheers!

-O

That Panther is coming along nicely! I like the scribing work you've done.  My son won an AMT Panther in a raffle a few months back and we worked on it together...it's gotten me to thinking about building my own Panther and was considering the Monogram kit.  Your build log is encouraging me!

• 3 months later...

Howdy ARC,

Boy! It's been a while since I've posted anything. It's Thanksgiving (U.S.) break, so I've finally had some time at the bench. Not a lot to show with my Panther except for a quick picture of some fiddly bits. The main assembly received its first coat of GSB, and it's drying. As the pain hardens, I made some progress with the little stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to handle the fuselage tomorrow. The goal is to wet sand and remove any tiny imperfections before shooting a "wet coat" for the gloss. 

Anyway, here's some proof of the (little) progress. 

S7F4870.jpg

I don't have to be back in the classroom until Monday, and since I don't have any Turkey Day plans, I hope to make some serious progress on this build.

Thanks for looking!

-O

Hey ARC,

I had this past week off, and I was able to make some good progress on my Panther. I was able to get it painted and glossed (sorry, no pictures) and started on the decals.

V9EPw20.jpg

The stabilizers are just dry-fitted into place for the photo. As of now, I'm waiting to see if I can source the green nose and wingtip markings from someone who has this sheet but is not using these markings. The decals did not want to settle down around the tanks and the nose. Hopefully I can sand and spray some of the touch-ups, but I'm hoping some extra decals would help fix the boo-boos.

The bulk of the building is done! I should be able to get this baby wrapped-up by the deadline.

Thanks for looking! Questions, comments, and criticisms welcomed.

Cheers!
-O

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Annddd...DONE!

Though it took a little longer than I wanted, I finally got it done. There were a few bumps with the gloss coat, wingtip tank and nose decals, but it's finally on my shelf. It's definitely not perfect, but I like the way the green jumps off of the GSB.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Enjoy the pictures!

I337TJM.jpg

IGlzt8B.jpg

SP1hCW1.jpg

tObG8AF.jpg

zLFrarA.jpg

vkq1XLR.jpg

0v3aA9Z.jpg

wZUsPf8.jpg

NyHktXt.jpg

lfJEOvn.jpg

bQ6Ac6n.jpg

nc6Qpj7.jpg

h6ogUsn.jpg

CDynCPe.jpg

Happy Holidays ARC! Here's to mashing plastic in '19!

Cheers,

-O