1/48 Monogram F-4J Phantom II: This is part of my series of building a 1/48 Phantom from each manufacturer completely OOB. The Monogram kit still holds up nicely after 35 years. Only because of the new releases of Academy and ZM does it get knocked down to #4. It was also released as C/D. The C/D is actually more accurate, as the J has a number of items that didn't get changed when the released it. Most notably are the wheels, which are still AF style, as well as the sidewall detail in the cockpit. With some time and patience, this can be built up into an extremely attractive finished model. Someone once said that of all the Phantoms, the Monogram kit has more "Phantomness" than any other. I tend to agree with that.

dsc-0084_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0085_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0086_1_orig.jpg

dsc-0087_1_orig.jpg

Darren,

Now that’s a mask I would love to see be made for that nose section on those VF-21 PHANTOMS and TOMCATS🙏🙏🙏

Just an idea 💡 you might consider 🤔

Cheers,

Mr.Happy (In name only)

7 minutes ago, Mr.Happy said:

Darren,

Now that’s a mask I would love to see be made for that nose section on those VF-21 PHANTOMS and TOMCATS🙏🙏🙏

Just an idea 💡 you might consider 🤔

Cheers,

Mr.Happy (In name only)

That's not a bad idea.

On 8/5/2018 at 4:13 PM, Darren Roberts said:

That's not a bad idea.

I'd be in for the Tomcat masks. That's one of the two VF-21 Tomcat schemes I want to do. I can mask it myself, but if I had something to make it easier that would be better. 

The color resin FOOD covers are very nice- I have a couple sets for my Monogram Blue Angels Phantom. 

3 hours ago, silverkite211 said:

Nice F-4, as is all your work. I happen to be the one who coined the term "Phantomness", by the way.

Thanks for taking the credit. You deserve it. I love the term you coined. Now I need to remember to give you credit from now on!

Wow, beautiful markings and finish in that!

Darren, can you kind of elaborate a bit on how you handle Monograms F-4? Similar to the F-14 pdf you did some years ago for FSM, but the quick and dirty version. 😄

I love those Monogram phantoms but I have trouble cleaning the seam along the fuselage and not losing all the detail. 

2 hours ago, jester292 said:

Wow, beautiful markings and finish in that!

Darren, can you kind of elaborate a bit on how you handle Monograms F-4? Similar to the F-14 pdf you did some years ago for FSM, but the quick and dirty version. 😄

I love those Monogram phantoms but I have trouble cleaning the seam along the fuselage and not losing all the detail. 

Funny you should mention that. I'm working on an article for FSM right now. I'm going to start a series on building classic kits, and the Monogram Phantom is the first one up. It will be published sometime next year, as it's going to be used as a kick-off of sorts for people to send in pictures of their Monogram builds to celebrate when Monogram was king. At least that's the plan! I'd love to post pictures, but I'd get in trouble. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Funny you should mention that. I'm working on an article for FSM right now. I'm going to start a series on building classic kits, and the Monogram Phantom is the first one up. It will be published sometime next year, as it's going to be used as a kick-off of sorts for people to send in pictures of their Monogram builds to celebrate when Monogram was king. At least that's the plan! I'd love to post pictures, but I'd get in trouble. 🙂

That will be most welcome. My trouble is trying to maintain the detail while filling and sanding. 

5 hours ago, jester292 said:

That will be most welcome. My trouble is trying to maintain the detail while filling and sanding. 

Unfortunately, there's no getting around that. The best thing to do is to you use masking tape on either side of the seam, putty the seam, sand it, and then take off the tape. You will lose the lines going across the seam, but there's a solution for that. Run tape across where the panel lines were, lining the tape up with the existing panel lines on either side, and run your hobby knife across the seam. While it makes a gouge, it also creates a ridge of plastic. Once painted, you can't tell the difference. Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

Unfortunately, there's no getting around that. The best thing to do is to you use masking tape on either side of the seam, putty the seam, sand it, and then take off the tape. You will lose the lines going across the seam, but there's a solution for that. Run tape across where the panel lines were, lining the tape up with the existing panel lines on either side, and run your hobby knife across the seam. While it makes a gouge, it also creates a ridge of plastic. Once painted, you can't tell the difference. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense.  Thanks!

19 hours ago, SinisterVampire319 said:

Beautiful work! As always.
Can't wait to see your piece in FSM. I get every issue.
Did Monogram get the fuselage crease right compared to ZM's?

Alan

That's the beauty of the Monogram kit. It's just about spot-on when it comes to outline.