Ok, I was going to do this for the Top Gun Group Build, but I've got a TA-4J I can build for that. So here goes: a blue splinter scheme Top Gun adversary Tomcat using the Monogram kit along with the requisite Steel Beach bits and Aero Masks. I've got the Fightertown decal sheet too.

OW6HFam.jpg

Will be watching this. That is I think an early molding like mine in the

orange box before they altered the molds. Where did you find Steel Beach

burner cans? I have hunted all over for them! Oh well will be watching this

with much interest.---John

2 hours ago, john53 said:

Will be watching this. That is I think an early molding like mine in the

orange box before they altered the molds. Where did you find Steel Beach

burner cans? I have hunted all over for them! Oh well will be watching this

with much interest.---John

John, the burner cans are yours if you want them.

Cockpit is installed and glossed for a wash and the fuselage halves are together. The fit on this thing is atrocious! With two Tamiya cats in the stash, I'm questioning my decision to build this.

mwIOne2.jpg

xjuNLpv.jpg

Ahhh......but the cam should cover some of the poor fit. Save the Tamiya for TPS. Besides this is a REVELL GB not Tamiya.........hmmmmm.........a tamiya GB................

Did I hear an echo of "when's the Tamiya GB" ? Nice looking Tomcat, looks

sorta familiar. I thought you built it cause it's a Revell-Monogram GB?????

I have a legit excuse, sanity doesn't run in my family! Or as my brother use

to say "ain't no chlorine in this gene pool" ---John

Edited by john53
1 hour ago, picknpluck said:

Got flash?

5zeLxM1.jpg

That is a truly impressive amount of flash. 

All kidding aside, nice work on the seams, that must have been quite a bit of work. How many sanding sticks did you wear out?

On 8/5/2018 at 11:35 PM, picknpluck said:

More fun with Mr. Dremel...to accommodate the Steel Beach NACA vent and TCS pod.

bl2R3bQ.jpg

Dremel is one of the finest tools! Not only for modelling (cooking, beauty, etc.). But seams you "melt" the plastic more than cutting, that disc I use for cutting steel needles, also hardened steel. For your purpose Dremel has a sawing disc to offer, too. You my 0,02€ here...

BTW. the blue colors on the wings are already awesome! One of my fave cats in that "bad" scheme. 

7 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

That is a truly impressive amount of flash. 

All kidding aside, nice work on the seams, that must have been quite a bit of work. How many sanding sticks did you wear out?

How many sanding sticks? All of them lol

How about those seams in the intakes? Steel Beach vinyl intake covers for the win! It probably sounds like I'm a shill for Steel Beach, but I think it's pretty common knowledge around here that Darren Roberts is kinda synonymous with Monogram F-14s. I'm glad to have his parts available!

SC0UFLv.jpg

VH3TpUv.jpg

I dunno why but it really does seem like you were able to breeze right through all of that fuselage building, especially since you are going to be skipping those troublesome intakes and seam lines there. Making it look so easy haha!

10 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I dunno why but it really does seem like you were able to breeze right through all of that fuselage building, especially since you are going to be skipping those troublesome intakes and seam lines there. Making it look so easy haha!

You know, this is the third Monogram kit I've built this year (the other two were the 1/48 OA-4M and 1/72 F-105G)...I've got to say, these kits go together pretty quickly and I've thoroughly enjoyed building each one of them.  Yeah, this Tomcat requires a bit more filling and sanding than the other two, but the seams are not in complex or difficult areas so it went by pretty quickly.  I didn't take pictures yesterday, but I rescribed the nose section after sanding most of the details away.  It was my first attempt at a comprehensive scribing job and that went pretty smoothly, I think.  I'll be building the Monogram F-5F next...that will get a full rescribe, I think.

I've got the F-14A, A-10, OA-4M, AV-8 and B, A-4E/F, A-37A, and the Century Series all lined up to do. Trying to find the time to start one (kids, school) at least one of them yet I can never just pick one! Maybe I'll find more time when my two minions start school again next week. I want to do the Tomcat and follow yours and John's builds but I don't have any of the necessary parts from Steel Beach to make the corrections needed.

Edited by Whiskey