well I decided to take another shot at the ICM  Mig-25 kit.

the biggest challenge you face is with the instructions, they have you follow a sequence that will result in NOTHING lining up at all.

I highly recommend that the main bulkheads are attached to the lower fuselage piece before anything else.

DSC_0234-L.jpg

this way everything has gone together perfectly.

DSC_0236-L.jpg

the only aftermarket I was planning to use was the Master pitot tube, but after trying to use the decals for the instrument panel I decided to go with replacement decals from Foxbot.

DSC_0235-L.jpg

Dylan

Nice start on the Mig and thank you for pointing out the need to not rely on the instructions all the time as for the best sequence.

Keep ‘em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

well it looks more like a mig-25 now. the upper fuselage and side rear pieces required a liberal amount of glue,clamping ,trimming and profanity to get in place. and when that all failed the old airplane mechanics trick of brute force and ignorance.

DSC_0237-XL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

thanks Peter and Mario. I think this is a very well engineered kit you just need to figure out a better build and paint sequence than ICM gives you.

I got some paint on her, first up the darker grey dielectric panels and radome.

DSC_0238-XL.jpg

the lower aft fuselage is painted silver on the real thing, I used Tamiya flat aluminum. sooo much overspray

DSC_0239-XL.jpg

DSC_0240-XL.jpg

the preshading on the radome doesnt show up too well here

DSC_0241-XL.jpg

and here is where it all comes grinding to a halt. the decals for the stencils shattered into a million pieces as soon as they touched water, so for now I have only these on the kit. I have to decide whether I want to find some aftermarket stencil decals or just continue with what I have.

the Ukrainian markings are from Foxbot decals. they are well printed but have a matt finish. I learned many years ago that matt finish decals are usually crap. these are no exception, they did not react well to setting solutions and did not sink into the recessed panel lines at all.

DSC_0251-XL.jpg

DSC_0252-XL.jpg

DSC_0253-XL.jpg

Goodness! That is cool! I'm surprised there aren't more responses. Your marbling may have a bit too much contrast on the tails, for my taste, but I imagine the wash will knock things down. I love the Ukrainian markings on this beast. They're such a great splash of color against the gray. It is too bad they didn't cooperate very well.  You're doing a really great job.

Thank also, very much, for the pointers on how to fit the fuselage. This model is on my short list for next purchase, so it's good to know what to expect. 

Edited by RKic
2 hours ago, RKic said:

Goodness! That is cool! I'm surprised there aren't more responses. Your marbling may have a bit too much contrast on the tails, for my taste, but I imagine the wash will knock things down. I love the Ukrainian markings on this beast. They're such a great splash of color against the gray. It is too bad they didn't cooperate very well.  You're doing a really great job.

Thank also, very much, for the pointers on how to fit the fuselage. This model is on my short list for next purchase, so it's good to know what to expect. 

thanks for the kind words. I agree the marbling is over done. it was not too bad until I put on the gloss coat. the matt coat and wash toned it down a bit, but there is bugger all I can do about it now.

its almost done, just a few bits and bobs left. another thing I would suggest when building is to assemble the outer exhaust pieces before painting then add the inner green pieces after. I ended up wit a few gaps that were not easy to fix without destroying the paint to I'm just going to live with them the way they are.

DSC_0257-XL.jpg

DSC_0258-XL.jpg

DSC_0259-XL.jpg

thanks again Fellas.

I used Mr.hobby acryson burnt iron. never again!!! it took an hour to get it cleaned out of my airbrush. I found a vallejo mettalizer that is the same shade and sprays beautifully.

• 1 month later...