HG (EUROPE chemical) versus Future Johnson

is there anyone using HG 70 (Gloss) instead of Pledge Parket plus (aka johnsons klear)?

Nobody experimented with satin (HG 14) and mat (HG 34 / HG 52) finish version before?

Edited by cag_200

Having been unable to get the old Future, or the newer Pledge products, I bought a bottle of HG Product 70. I really wish I hadn't... Product 70 by HG International is nothing like the Pledge floor finishes. HG Product 70 is intended to go over laminated floors, which actually creates yet another protective laminated film over the laminated surface, which is good on laminated floors, but certainly not on plastic models which have been covered in matt enamel, acrilic or lacquer paints.

The result for me was beyond disastrous, even on bare windshields and canopies; I've ruined several transparent pieces, not to speak about finished models which then I had to strip off paint completely, but the transparent pieces were all ruined. Someone said to me modellers ought not to resort to household products to replace protective coats specifically devised for modelling - that certainly includes Pledge.

Yes, it is. HG Product 70 is of a milky-ish hue that it must have been that which has ruined my clear parts. You don't want to see the effects of HG Product 70 on your clear parts; trust me. While Future/Klear/Pledge may come off with water, HG Product 70 won't, and it will leave a kind of acrylic hardened residue of a yellowish hue on the crevices. You will need to gouge the edge of the parts with something sharp to try to get it off.

I'd totally skip buying HG Product 70 and try to get just Pledge Floor Care Finish or their Multisurface equivalent.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:54 AM, cag_200 said:

Interresting, its the same milky liquid as Klear?

If this "Klear" that you speak of is supposed to be the latest incarnation of Future then it should not be "milky". Future is crystal clear when in a liquid state. At least the bottle I have are.

You might trying dipping the clear parts in  Ammonia (Windex with ammonia will do) or 90+ percent alcohol.

Ed

EDIT -- sorry, forgot to add that this is to wash the Pledge/Future off of the plastic parts.

Edited by TheRealMrEd
added info
3 hours ago, Mstor said:

If this "Klear" that you speak of is supposed to be the latest incarnation of Future then it should not be "milky". Future is crystal clear when in a liquid state. At least the bottle I have are.

"Klear" was the European version of Future. It smelled different, and behaved slightly differently (in my experience it dries harder than Future, but needs more coats to build up a good gloss) - I have both and used them pretty much interchangeably for years. The formulation of Klear changed about 6-7 years ago from a clear liquid to a milky white liquid (like some acrylic varnishes are), but it still dries clear. 

4 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

"Klear" was the European version of Future. It smelled different, and behaved slightly differently (in my experience it dries harder than Future, but needs more coats to build up a good gloss) - I have both and used them pretty much interchangeably for years. The formulation of Klear changed about 6-7 years ago from a clear liquid to a milky white liquid (like some acrylic varnishes are), but it still dries clear. 

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of the changes to the formula in Europe.

Yes, Klear is quite different now. I've been looking up on YouTube for a video by Flory Model where the man explains a lot of the changes that gone through with either Future and Klear.

This is why I stumbled upon HG Product 70 and yet another awful product by Johnsons that it's called Glo-Cot that I imported from Brazil.

Avoid those ones as the pest, unless you could use them on your floors.

• 4 weeks later...