How to attach already painted missiles/bombs to the model

Hello all

It's been a LONG time since I've actually finished a model, and I've got a question here. I've working on getting my decals on my bombs and missiles, and am looking towards attaching them onto the finished model when I get there. The thing is, I can't remember what I've done in the past to attach them onto the rails and racks. I know I don't want to use regular model glue, as it won't stick to the paint (or if it will, it'll mar it) so, what else can I use? Super glue? I'll take any suggestions I can get. Thank's

Aaron 

It depends on the missile but when possible i try to use a single drop of CA that is ideally hidden on the body of the missile between the canards. Since CA is very strong, it usually doesn’t matter if it is way in the front or back. 

I usually drill a couple small holes in whatever the bomb or missile will be mounted to (rack or rail) and insert a piece of wire and a corresponding hole in the bomb.  When it is time to load the bombs I put a drop of super glue on the wires and slide the bomb onto the wire. This also helps with alignment. hth

Geoff M

6 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

I usually drill a couple small holes in whatever the bomb or missile will be mounted to (rack or rail) and insert a piece of wire and a corresponding hole in the bomb.  When it is time to load the bombs I put a drop of super glue on the wires and slide the bomb onto the wire. This also helps with alignment. hth

I do the same thing. Also works for LG doors, floats, struts, &etc.

I do essentially the same with the pins, but I put the drop of CA in the hole and slide the pin into that. This will push any excess CA down inside the hole and makes for a very clean join of the bomb/missile /pylon .

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary

I sometimes use this since it's sticky but doesn't have a death grip the part can be removed and repositioned if you mess up the alignment. It's called Scenic Accents glue by Woodland Scenics, as I said, it's very sticky but is workable. I've used it to fix not only weapons on my finished models but attaching figures and GSE to the display base. I never came across any discoloration or staining or my model's paint or the surface of my bases. The reason I started using this is because I've got two small grandsons living with me as well as five cats. I'd rather something come off without resistance that finding a broken TER, MER or pylon or just a pair of feet and some wheels where my crew and starter unit were. Trust me, I came home one day to find just that.

Here's the link for it on the Woodland Scenics website....

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/A198/page/1

Has anybody tried magnets for this?  I've been wondering how well it would work and if there are any pitfalls.  This would give you the ability to change the loadout, easier to transport to shows and prevent breakage.  

17 minutes ago, Tgoetz said:

Has anybody tried magnets for this?  I've been wondering how well it would work and if there are any pitfalls.  This would give you the ability to change the loadout, easier to transport to shows and prevent breakage.  

Personally no but I have gamer friends that have and they look good depending on how well hidden they are. Since they're used a lot in the 28mm scale, Warhammer and the like they are small. The ones my friends use are mounted either in the hands or weapons for the most part to aid in swapping out say a grenade launcher or one plasma gun [ these are sci fi for the most part ] on the primary weapon with a different one or none altogether. Even though they're small, based on what I've seen magnets like these are limited by imagination but for the most part something like these magnets should work. I'm pretty sure you can find them in hobby shops that carries table top games and metal figures. 

Tamiya Extra Thin will eat through acrylic paint and works quite nicely.

CCA will work but care is needed

MIcro Kristal Klear .. works like a charm and is now my weapon of choice.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools
On 8/11/2018 at 7:51 AM, Peterpools said:

Tamiya Extra Thin will eat through acrylic paint and works quite nicely.

CCA will work but care is needed

MIcro Kristal Klear .. works like a charm and is now my weapon of choice.

Peter

11 hours ago, bashace said:

Toothpick drops of Zap Formula 560, doesn't dry brittle which makes weapons prone to breaking off if jarred, used to glue canopies on Radio Controlled airplanes, dries very clear.

The Tamiya Extra Thin will clear out any acrylic paint pretty quickly but had not tried MKK.  Mmmmm

Have used F560 esp on canopies and such but nice to know it works on other things as well (such as radar antennas, etc).

Keep the tips coming!