1/48 Hasegawa USN/USMC A-4E/F Kit Drop Tanks?

Interrogative, warriors!

Asking about the A-4E. I know some units were short of drop tanks. Specifically as it relates to a larger center drop tank (usually the larger centerline for a non-finned that I've seen) for a non-employed buddy pod Skyhawk. Was it dependent on stores weight vs. established maximum take off weight(s) for, say a relatively shourt CAS sortie? I want to build the most accurate USMC A-4E operating from Chu Lai 65-70'ish. Not sure on a specific squadron's markingse yet during a certain timeframe, but it will be for a standard A-4E or hump back A-4E (as far as I know from what my retired Marine Aviator (Pilot only not NFO) aging dad, the USMC were not issued NEW manufacture A-4F's, only USN & the Navy then passed a few down to us. I do not claim to be not expert on jetsintable drop tanks for the Skyhawk. 250, 300, 400lbs? Anyhoot, I know there are more than a few Skyhawk drivers & ground maintainers on site from USN/USMC squdrons, civvy contractors & also our allied friends that opertated their own modified versions of the Skyhawk. I humbly request that you share your insight. Is it me or are the available two drop tanks in the Hasegawa Skyhawk kits are too small/or out of proportion? I don't know which capacity in gallons or liters of the different tanks that come in this kit. They just dont look big enough for a centerline tank. If they are out of proportion, can anyone direct me to other 1/48 kits that have the correct size that I can steal for one "correct" centerline tank? I have Monogram/Kinetic/Hobbyboss A-6, Hasegawa A-7, Monogram/Hobbycraft A-4, Mongram or Hasegawa (presumbaly the same size?)---that's all can remember which birds carried the same type/similar tanks that perhaps I can rob from these kits to get the correct proportion/size tanks. You guys always come through for me reference my questions, so I thank you in advance for the assist! I am always grateful for your service! (Sorry for rambling again :cheers:)...what I can I say? I like detailed explanations when my Google fu is weak or I can't find in books. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns :smiley-char029::occasion2:

Gunny,

The A-4E & F could carry three different drop tank sizes:  150, 300, and 400 Gallon.  The inboard wing pylons could accommodate 150 & 300 gallon tanks, while all three sizes could be carried on the centerline.  All three tanks could be configured with or without fins, and the 300 gallon tanks had optional rounded fairings that could be installed in place of the conical fin assemblies.  There are plenty of photos online of Marine Corps Skyhawks carrying 300 gallon and 400 gallon tanks on the centerline.  If you can show me a photo, I'd be happy to help determine which size it is.

The tanks in the Hasegawa Skyhawk kits are supposed to represent 300 gallon tanks, but are a bit undersized, especially in cross-section.  I once posted a thread detailing some research I did into the subject, but am having trouble finding it.  What I did find, after measuring the 300 gallon drop tanks on the Collings Foundation TA-4F, is that the tanks in the Tamiya Skyraider kits are the most accurate representations I could find of the 300 gallon tanks.  To date, I have not found any accurate representations of the 150 and 400 gallon tanks in any kit.

However, Phase Hangar currently offers all three sizes in resin (mastered by yours truly). https://phasehangarresin.com/collections/48001-1-48?page=2

I sure hope this helps.

Gabe

How about no tanks, out of Danang not Chu Lai:

Douglas-A-4-airborne-with-bombs-Danang-S

Douglas-A-4-Danang.jpg

The number of tanks depended on where the target was, for some CAS missions no tanks were required as the target was close. Also one tank seemed common as it was better to have pylons available for bombs and rockets. But two tanks were carried as well so you have all sorts of options. For tank info go here:

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/07/douglas-low-drag-external-fuel-tanks.html

Jari

Thanks much, gents! I remember a conversation long ago when my dad told me when on the hot pad at Chu Lai some of the birds would have one centerline or two on the inboards to provide increased loiter time with troops in heavy contact & they didn't always know where or how long they might be needed. He was a staff puke at one time for six months & was a FAC for a short time on another tour & would volunteer to fly with whomever he could when he could get away. He's pretty well up there in age now & has much trouble remembering today much less from 50+ years ago with the early stages of dementia, so I've turned to y'all & you didn't disappoint. I'm trying to find some any pics and/or log books I can from from his years driving fast movers in SEA from his belongings or a close facsimile. If I can't I want to build a Skyhawk from the older Fox One Skyhawk sheet I have or one from the AOA or from any one of the Skyhawk decal sheets I've had for years. And later a build from when he drove Phantoms but I know the typical config for those. 

Thanks, Gabe & Finn for your links! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

17 hours ago, Finn said:

Gunny you can check here:

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm

find the unit on the left you are interested in and they have records of what the squadron did, including pilot names, a/c # and weapon loads.

Jari

Thanks, brah. I've been on that site many times but never knew that section existed. I have to go through a lot of the unit diaries & after action reports to find the squadrons he flew with to find him. I don't remember which one's because he wouldn't talk about everything too much. That's why I'm desparately searching for his log books.Thank would more than likely put this issue to rest. Matching the birds with what's in the unit diary would lead me to his awards & in turn give me a historical significance to model a bird he flew during which a significant event to model on of his aircraft after.  Looks like I have some searching to do within the Texas Tech scans if those log books are MIA. I don't remember where he put them. He spent a lot of time over there to the dismay of my mom us kids & he flew a few hundred sorties & maybe I could determine the gas bag config. Thanks again!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns