New to me. SAC skids and X-tubes UH-1D/H

s-l1600.jpg

these don't just "look like" the Ktty Hawk parts, they are EXACT copies!  Note the weird wedge missing form the bottom of the skid, it's the exact same error as the Kitty Hawk skids.  sorry for the blurr, but here is the same error and my fix on my kit.

ray

Edited by rotorwash

To my knowledge ever SAC gear set I have ever seen has been the kit parts molded in metal. They may add parts together to make one part but it is a copy of the kit part/s good, bad and ugly. IMHO most kits don't need it but it's up the modeler to decided what makes them happy.

6 hours ago, Tank said:

To my knowledge ever SAC gear set I have ever seen has been the kit parts molded in metal. They may add parts together to make one part but it is a copy of the kit part/s good, bad and ugly. IMHO most kits don't need it but it's up the modeler to decided what makes them happy.

I would have at least fixed the missing wedge form the bottom of the skids before i cast them!

Ray

I've used them a few times for a stronger gear leg (e.g. on Roden's T-28C). I also used their KH F9F Cougar gear because the nose gear tube appeared to be longer (less compressed) than the plastic part. Otherwise, they are apparently an exact copy. 

Jim

By all accounts I’ve read, these products are simply lead castings of the kit part. Most of the time , if a plastic kit is so heavy you need metal landing gear, lead won’t work anyway because it  doesn’t have the necessary strength.   

Cant imagine why anyone would want these since they have the same flaw as the kit part.  File under - total waste of money. 

7 hours ago, Tank said:

I agree with you. 

What at was the wedge intended for on the KH kit? I don't recall if that was discussed months ago on the forum. 

The wedge was not in any of the CAD files that Floyd and i reviewed and we have no idea how it made it to the mold.  Needless to say, it is entirely incorrect.

Ray

27 minutes ago, jabow said:

I’m slipping. I don’t remember the wedge in the Kittyhawk kit. Anyway, it shouldn’t be there. Simple fix tho. Maybe that’s WHY I didn’t recall it?

Bo

Bo,

Simple fix yes, but dumb mistake on KH's part, DEFINITELY!

Ray

1 hour ago, jabow said:

Got my two sets of these Huey skids; AND, .... the skid tubes on both sets were off the tree and bent and somewhat twisted! The cross tubes looked ok.

Buyer beware.

Bo

Sorry to hear that, Bo.  Not shocked though.  Could you post some pics?

Ray

11 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Sorry to hear that, Bo.  Not shocked though.  Could you post some pics?

Ray

Let me take some pix and TRY to post 'em here.  Looks like they were handled B4 they were totally cooled????

Bo

I Knew that they generally just made copies of the kit parts but when they include pieces of the sprue and the part number that is just lazy and tacky and maybe even breach of copyright. What a bunch of schmoes