New to me. SAC skids and X-tubes UH-1D/H

52 minutes ago, jabow said:

The Cross Tubes look just fine and that's where the strength is required and NOT the skid tubes.

Bo

I wasn’t aware that the KH kit had problems with the plastic not supporting the weight.  Is this a well known defect of the kit?  

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

I wasn’t aware that the KH kit had problems with the plastic not supporting the weight.  Is this a well known defect of the kit?  

Honestly I haven't seen an issue with the kit.  Floyd has built two so far and they are holding up just fine.

Ray

It amazes me that SAC have remained in business as long as they have. Direct copies of kit parts (often without even cleaning up seam lines) in a material with a proven history of failing under weight over time. If you don't think the kit's plastic parts will hold the weight, you can almost guarantee a white metal equivalent will not stand up to the same weight, it'll just take longer to do so, and have a different failure mode, but it WILL fail. 

If you think parts like this really need replacing, look for investment cast brass, and be prepared to pay. There are high strength resins I'd trust before white metal.  Nearly every single SAC set is a poor  solution in search of a non existent problem.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:02 AM, Dmanton300 said:

It amazes me that SAC have remained in business as long as they have. Direct copies of kit parts (often without even cleaning up seam lines) in a material with a proven history of failing under weight over time. If you don't think the kit's plastic parts will hold the weight, you can almost guarantee a white metal equivalent will not stand up to the same weight, it'll just take longer to do so, and have a different failure mode, but it WILL fail. 

If you think parts like this really need replacing, look for investment cast brass, and be prepared to pay. There are high strength resins I'd trust before white metal.  Nearly every single SAC set is a poor  solution in search of a non existent problem.

What amazes me is that there are people who actually buy this junk.  Either because they blindly think that since it's aftermarket, it simply has to be a big improvement on the kit part or for some reason, believe every kit out there will eventually collapse due to it's weight, so white metal landing gear will ensure this never happens.   

To paraphrase Mr. Barnum, apparently there really is a sucker born every minute. 

Edited by 11bee

for some 1/35 kits with lots of aftermarket and scratch-buliding making it quite heavy and for kits that get handled a lot e.g. model shows/displays, I think there could be a market for 'quality' brass or metal skids..

Form the reviews here this company's products don't appear to be too popular, but for a 1/35 Huey and particularly the 1/24 Huey, I'd be very interested, providing the parts were of good quality...