6 hours ago, janman said:

Beautiful work, Joel! What can you say, the JSP livery is such a classic that you just can't go wrong with it. 

Janman,

Thanks so much for those most kind words, and being here for me throughout the build. 

No denying it, the JPS livery is a spectacular classic for sure. Done right, it's eye catching, but to many screw ups and it can become a nightmare. That's why I cut up a lot of the stripping. I have a few decaling issues, but I got lucky, and it worked out ok.

Joel

32 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

Joel,

Well done!!! Those pinstripes and the shiny finish look fantastic!

Ben

Ben,

Thanks so much my friend, your comments are greatly appreciated. Gloss black waxed coupled with Gold pin stripping is a match made in heaven for sure.

Joel

She looks GREAT!
You've certainly done the iconic JPS livery justice.

Nice job with the nose. The fit looks really neat with it on even though it is removable.

The exposed engine detail just draws the eyes in. 

Overall :thumbsup:

-co

Edited by CaptainObvious
19 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

She looks GREAT!
You've certainly done the iconic JPS livery justice.

Nice job with the nose. The fit looks really neat with it on even though it is removable.

The exposed engine detail just draws the eyes in. 

Overall :thumbsup:

-co

Capt. Obvious,

Thanks so much for all your support throughout my Lotus Type 72E build. It honestly means quite a lot to me. This was a much harder paint job to do then the all white one on the Porsche 917K as Black shines like no other color, but done wrong is a true nightmare. Believe me I know.  Decaling honestly is decaling, and my years as strictly a military modeler truly has helped, if anything the super smooth raw paint surfaces make decaling a joy in most cases (nothing solves crappy or way to old decal issues).

What I'm finding is that the Lotus JPS sponsorship years is well documented by Ebbro, Tamiya, & Hasegawa, so that livery will be showing up every once in a while. 

I'm truly excited that a few aircraft builders are also planning or have already started a car build as an alternate type of build. This is also a plus for ARC in building up the total membership towards what it once was.

Right now I can't honestly say that I'm planning a aircraft build, but that will change once I'm more comfortable with car modeling. Then my plan of a few cars then one aircraft build will kick in. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I'm finding the same thing about the decals. A few stripes and sponsor decals are nothing compared to applying a bazillion stencils on a 1/48 F-4! Airliners are similar to cars, in that they have gloss finishes and often lots of white, but I think airliner finishes are a little more forgiving. Cars just have more surface area that has to be shiny.

I don't see myself building another airplane any time soon. I've sort of lost my mojo with them, and I'm having a lot of fun building cars as an outgrowth of my renewed interest in racing. So many interesting subjects!

Ben

2 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I'm finding the same thing about the decals. A few stripes and sponsor decals are nothing compared to applying a bazillion stencils on a 1/48 F-4! Airliners are similar to cars, in that they have gloss finishes and often lots of white, but I think airliner finishes are a little more forgiving. Cars just have more surface area that has to be shiny.

I don't see myself building another airplane any time soon. I've sort of lost my mojo with them, and I'm having a lot of fun building cars as an outgrowth of my renewed interest in racing. So many interesting subjects!

Ben

Ben,

looking forward to your next car build for sure.  For me, aircraft modeling will be that alternate break every so often. But right now it's livin' at the track.

Joel

1 hour ago, Aigore said:

Gorgeous! Always liket the black and gold on Lotuses. Ronnie Peterson, our foremost Swedish F1 star, died in a Lotus 78 in 1979.

Janne,

thanks so much for checking out my type 72E. It means a great deal to me that we still follow each others work. 

As for Ronnie Peterson, I was a fan. Just too many F1 & Indy car drivers died in firery accidents back then.  Peterson and Andretti were the class of the field. And at times I honestly thought that he was faster then Andretti.

Joel

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Janne,

thanks so much for checking out my type 72E. It means a great deal to me that we still follow each others work. 

As for Ronnie Peterson, I was a fan. Just too many F1 & Indy car drivers died in firery accidents back then.  Peterson and Andretti were the class of the field. And at times I honestly thought that he was faster then Andretti.

Joel

Gotta checka what crazies the old fart's up to next :P

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, pg265 said:

Hi Joel,

Great work in the Lotus!!

Bravo.

Pascal

Pascal,

thank you my friend.  It's not up to your build standards, but I'm slowly, very slowly getting there.

Joel

• 1 year later...
On 9/4/2018 at 9:48 PM, Peterpools said:

JA

Holy Cow .. absolutely awesome work on the Cosworth. Plumbing and wiring looks dead on the the money and the intake trumpets look the part as well. Some mighty fine detail work

Keep 'em comin

Bro

I've just found this thread while researching a Lotus 72 build. It's by far my favorite GP car of any decade, except perhaps the Lotus 49, oh and also the 33!

You have done a great job, and I'm poarticularly impressed by your Cosworth engine detailing. I dont have any of the pipes and cables in my box - are they easily obtainable in the UK?

Martin