Afterburner Decals

I recently purchased an out of production set of Afterburner decals from an ARC member and after careful examination, It's obvious the decals are of very high quality. The detail is nothing short of amazing and perfectly within register. However, I noticed they are a little on the thicker side than what I'm used to seeing these days. When you run your finger across the decals you definitely feel a pronounced edge and in comparison to a set decals I have from AeroMaster, considerably thicker. None the less, the decals are great. I was wondering if I could get some feedback from modelers who have used Afterburner decals, specifically on how they perform and if being slightly thicker has caused any noticeable issues when placing over non-flat surfaces??

Thanks

-Elmo

2 hours ago, airmechaja said:

I agree with Phantom. However, the point is moot. Afterburner is Tango Uniform.

I thought they re-invented themselves with a new name - which escapes me now.

They don't visit this forum, they are only on facebook afaik.

6 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I thought they re-invented themselves with a new name - which escapes me now.

They don't visit this forum, they are only on facebook afaik.

Bullseye Decals is the new name. Availble at Sprue Brothers. 

Thanks for all your input guys. I assume they work great as the sheet really is very well done. BTW, the sheet is #48-080, Desert Storm Intruders (Copyright 2011). I also realize I could test a decal from one of the schemes I know for a fact I will not be using, however, as the sheet is in like-new condition, I don't want to compromise it in any way.

Cheers

-Elmo

10 hours ago, wardog said:

Thanks for all your input guys. I assume they work great as the sheet really is very well done. BTW, the sheet is #48-080, Desert Storm Intruders (Copyright 2011). I also realize I could test a decal from one of the schemes I know for a fact I will not be using, however, as the sheet is in like-new condition, I don't want to compromise it in any way.

Cheers

-Elmo

Elmo,

Did the sheet you purchase have a small correction insert for the KA-6D from VA-35?  I purchased an early release of this sheet and did not get the correction insert.  If you’re not planning on building a tanker version of the Intruder I’d be happy to purchase or trade for that small insert sheet. 

Here’s a a link to a thread with a picture of what I’m looking for. 

3 hours ago, okthree said:

Elmo,

Did the sheet you purchase have a small correction insert for the KA-6D from VA-35?  I purchased an early release of this sheet and did not get the correction insert.  If you’re not planning on building a tanker version of the Intruder I’d be happy to purchase or trade for that small insert sheet. 

Here’s a a link to a thread with a picture of what I’m looking for. 

Hello okthree,

Unfortunately the set I purchased does not have the correction set you are looking for.

-Elmo

To add to what Jeff stated above, the difference between the two is the printer used. Aeromaster used Microscale and Afterburner used Cartograf. Any decal sheet printed by Cartograf, regardless of the company it is sold by will be thicker than sheets printed by Microscale. The colors on Cartograf printed sheets will also be more vibrant. However, when applied properly, the results will be the same. 

Dave,

Looking at my examples printed by Cartograf and Microscale, It's clear the color saturation is greater on the former which of course makes for a more vibrant decal, albeit a bit thicker. My main concern was that once the decal was applied, the thickness would preclude it from looking as though it was painted on. However, based on the feedback received here, it seems there shouldn't be a problem. Also, another nice benefit is that the carrier film is kept to a minimum unlike on the other sheet. To be completely fair though, the color saturation on the Microscale sheet is still excellent and no issues with printing, at least on my sheet (AeroMaster 48-537A), however, I would still give a slight edge in quality to the Cartograf printed sheet.

-Elmo

Edited by wardog