Rosie vs Radu death match

Hi,

I've been mulling over the possibility of getting some tools for riveting. I've seen a lot of the reviews about the Rosie riveter range of tools on Flory Model's videos in YouTube, and while they appear to be very nice tools, there are some gap issues related to the way the wheels are cast on several of their sizes. Also, I like the double a triple row feature of these.

Then there's those riveters by Radu-B which, by the look them, they seem to be very good too.

My primary concern about the Rosie tools is their price; even though I can avoid getting those sizes which have gap issues, then again, there are still a lot of sizes to buy if you consider getting the double and triple row wheels as well.

On the other hand, Radu-B's look about right comparing the prices, but somehow the wheels look to be fragile, and there's neither double nor triple wheel options available.

What are your thoughts regarding both manufacturers? How often do you get to use the double and triple row wheel feature in 1/48th scale modeling? Are they worth the price, really?

And what about the quiality of the dots etched by both brands of riveting wheels? Is there a difference in any of them?

Which ones would you choose to get? Why?

Thanks in advance,

I have Radu-B's set and I am very happy with it. I'd imagine Rosie is very similar or better. Never had seen the double/triple version of the Rosie's. But, if I had to, I would just do two lines and rivet them one at a time. Double/triple seems like an overkill for the jets I am building.

Between Rosie vs Radu, I think they are similar enough that either would be fine. The key in riveting, is more about familiarity and tricks rather than the small differences you would see in those two brands. 

For instance, I use RB only to gently (faintly) inscribe the rivets. I then deepen each one of them with a pin. This helps alleviate the 'non-circular- look of the tool's depression as well.

I bet if you send a message to Radu with your question - he would give you an honest answer.  I spent a fair amount of time with him in Phoenix at Nationals (and have conversed with him quite a bit over on LSP.com as well).  Just tell him what you want to accomplish and see what he says.  

Good luck!
Chris

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, CANicoll said:

I bet if you send a message to Radu with your question - he would give you an honest answer.  I spent a fair amount of time with him in Phoenix at Nationals (and have conversed with him quite a bit over on LSP.com as well).  Just tell him what you want to accomplish and see what he says.  

Chris! I did what you told me, and guess what? I found out that Rosie actually uses Radu Brinzan's wheels for their tools, so anyway, the thing that matters me the most is whether the wheels etch a round dimple on the plastic rather than a square one. Then I think I'll get Rosie's for the nice wooden handles.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Onigiri 

On 9/12/2018 at 5:21 PM, Doppelgänger said:

Chris! I did what you told me, and guess what? I found out that Rosie actually uses Radu Brinzan's wheels for their tools, so anyway, the thing that matters me the most is whether the wheels etch a round dimple on the plastic rather than a square one. Then I think I'll get Rosie's for the nice wooden handles.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Excellent!  I found a similar thing with the wood PE templates.  They come from Radu!  Cheers, Chris

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:41 PM, CANicoll said:

Excellent!  I found a similar thing with the wood PE templates.  They come from Radu!  Cheers, Chris

:hmmm: Wood PE templates...? What are you talking about?

Anyway, I've decided to get all of the Rosie range of riveters from Mr Petr Dousek in Prague.

Cheers,

Onigiri

On 10/31/2018 at 8:46 AM, Doppelgänger said:

:hmmm: Wood PE templates...? What are you talking about?

Anyway, I've decided to get all of the Rosie range of riveters from Mr Petr Dousek in Prague.

Cheers,

Onigiri

PhotoEtched templates for airbrushing a wooden-like grain texture.