How do you fix a loose barrel/cannon?

I have an embarrasing problem, I believe the medical term is flaccid barrel syndrome. 

It's when your model tank has a loose fitting cannon that doesn't sit tightly inside the turret or superstructure, causing the barrel to just limply hang at full gun depression. 

Is there a fix for this? is it just spackle on some putty where the cannon fits into the turret/superstructre and sand it down until it gives a nice bit of resistance?

It depends on what style of mounting to the turret and whether the looseness was discovered during assembly or a month after assembly. What I would do if found during assembly, and the gun mount had pins which went in holes to allow barrel to be elevated or depressed would be to shim the pins with thin sheet styrene such as from the .005 or .010 inch thick sheets Evergreen sells and thereby create a better friction fit. Another alternative would be to add weight to the breech for balance, which in some kits might require creating a 'breech' where there is nothing if kit does not have one , and how exactly to add such weight depends on the structure, filling voids with metal is the general trend.

Almost all guns are held in the turret by a very basic pair of trunnions inside.  You can lift off the turret, hold the gun at the angle you want, and dab some liquid cement where the pins on the gun assembly meet the trunnion.  This fixes the gun in position, of course, but that's generally my preference anyway.