Hello all,

I have a quick question, would B-17G #42-31412  "Mason and Dixon", a Boeing built Flying Fortress from this production block...

https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/production-block/b-17g-15-bo-42-31332-42-31431/

...have normal waist guns or staggered waist guns? I can never figure out which B-17G had them and which didn't.

While I'm at it, what about B-17G #42-31585 "Mount N'Ride", a Boeing built B-17G from production block B-17G-20-BO?

Please tell me at least one of these Forts had normal and non-staggered waist guns...

Thanks for helping a confused modeler out fellas!

Regards.

Based on some of the pics of aircraft in you link I would venture to say it had non-staggered waist gun positions, as does you other aircraft.  The easiest way to tell is if the starboard side waist position is before the national insignia and almost directly under the fuselage mounted antenna, then the aircraft has staggered waist guns, so yes, both the aircraft you mention have the normal, non-staggered waist positions.                                                                                                                                                                        

29 minutes ago, G.R.Morrison said:

This was asked here, some 'leven' years ago:

Looks like both your choices had the earlier (non-staggered) waist positions.

Good luck in your build, GRM

Yeah I know and I built that aircraft from that thread ("Little Patches"). But for the current aircraft that I'm thinking of doing I couldn't make heads or tails if the waist guns were staggered or the original configuration. Seems like they were the original non-staggered configuration and that's GREAT!!

Thanks guys!

Regards.

1 hour ago, jester292 said:

I think Boeing staggered the waist gun positions starting with the -40 models. Not positive but pretty confident. 

Thanks! That's what causes me confusion as to which AC had non-staggered and staggered waist guns as each site/person has a slightly different take on it. Couple that with a few AC becoming somewhat hybrids using a late forward fuselage mated to an early rear fuselage (essentially taking the best parts of two damaged AC to make one) and for a non-B-17 expert it gets confusing.

Thanks again all!

Regards.

For future reference:

Boeing block 50 (42-102379)

Lockheed/Vega block 50 (44-8101)

Douglas block 25 (42-37989)

Ken

( Flying Fortress in Detail & Scale Pt.1 1981 )