How to decide color and accessories to models?

How do you guys research and find out the "little things" details that the real life equivalents have that you want to replicate on your model.

For example: what was usually carried inside a half-track during operation Barbarossa or what color was the seats inside the half-track or what color was the tools, how many extra track links did a Panther usually carry.

Just little details like that, that are in itself difficult to find reference photos for?

Reference pictures as you already mentioned, restored and unrestored survivors, written descriptions from people that used the vehicles, conjecture based on similar objects.

E.g. I once built a 1/72 Academy OV-10A Bronco and wanted to know if the nose/front wheel well was hollow or filled with something (avionics etc). I drove 150km to a museum example (the Bundesluftwaffe target tow version) and checked it myself.

Cheers

Thorsten

I know people have dissed others for saying this, but Google is your friend. I regularly Google for info on many aircraft. It's then just a matter of following the links to the various sources. Some sites will have little to offer, some will have questionable information (check more than one site, confirm info). When you have some basic knowledge then you can refine your searches or come to the forums and ask specific questions. Remember, half the answer to your question depends on how you frame the question.