Trade up? 1/48 F-14s Hasegawa v. Tamiya

Hasegawa 1/48 F-14s  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Get rid of them
    • Keep em

OK.  I've got a couple of Hasegawa Tomcats (An F-14A and SP44 F-14D kit).  Chock a bloc with aftermarket.  Intakes, exhausts, cockpits, photoetch, wheels.  I've also got one Tamiya F-14A already.

I know that the Tamiya kits are far easier builds...and other than dropped slats/flaps pretty much have the Hasegawa kits' beat.  There's also the theoretical AMK F-14D theoretically on the way.  The question is.  Do I sell them off for what I can get and just build the newer Tamiya/AMK kits?  Life's short and simpler, faster builds are cheaper with my limited modeling time than the extra money they cost.  It's just hard because those Hasegawa kits look so nice in the box.

What would you do?

Edited by Cameron Lynch

I have a Hasegawa F-14 VF-1 Wolfpack kit that I am saving in case I never get VF-1 decals that will fit the Tamiya kit that is sitting in a box, 90% built and painted, waiting.

Sold mine off and never looked backed. I also don’t seem to buy as much anymore. Hasegawa would get you with those limited editions and cartograph decals...with the aftermarket now I just don’t see a need to have a dozen tomcats....just half a dozen.....

I have a Tamiya A, Hasegawa A, and Hasegawa B, all unbuilt. I plant build the Tamiya A. I will hold onto Hasegawa A for nostalgia. I may even build it one day. I am planning to use Hasegawa B as the part donor for other Tomcats I may eventually build.  If you have a tons of Hasegawa's, sell all but a few. 

14 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

Sold mine off and never looked backed. I also don’t seem to buy as much anymore. Hasegawa would get you with those limited editions and cartograph decals...with the aftermarket now I just don’t see a need to have a dozen tomcats....just half a dozen.....

Sold all of my Hase as well. Agree on the aftermarket decals you can get all you need now. Tamiya is the way for an easy build. Would like to concentrate on a good cockpit and landing gear rather than on filling and sanding. 

Because if you put in the effort required, the Hasegawa F-14s still turn into amazing models. 

Let’s not open up the effort required debate, but if you’re willing to do the work, they build up nicely. 

I say keep them. But ultimately it’s your choice. Don’t let us tell you what to do. 

If it were me I'd build them. I tend to learn a lot from challenging builds, stuff that I can apply to other builds down the road. Build the Hasegawa kits then treat yourself to a Tamiya kit...or two. But that's just me. Like "Jester292" wrote its obviously up to you to decide.

Happy modeling!

At one point I went on a Hasegawa 'Cat buying frenzy. I must have picked up over 20, before I even built one. (this was before Tamiya even peeped about making one) Now that I have started to build one, Ive started selling off some of the more profitable kits. Not because its too hard, but because with the rate at which I build, and the size of my over all model collection, I will never have time to build all of them. So, Ive sold off 4 or 5, and am getting the next batch ready to go online.

If you have 2 or 3 of them, keep them. At this point, they wont cost you anything. But they can teach you a lot.