Small diameter bomb and BRU-61

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out which F-16 units are cleared to carry the BRU-61 and GBU-39. All I have found so far are test jets and one photo from  Vermont ANG. Looking particularly if Aviano or South Carolina ANG are carrying this setup. Thank you.

Pat,

Finn,

That certainly is what I was looking for. It also has the BRU-57 rack on the opposite side which I was a,so wondering about as well. F-16s were my world for 22 years but got away from them and being a bomb loader ten years ago when I switched career fields until I retired last week. Thanks for the great find!!

Pat,

12 minutes ago, Exgbuloader said:

Steve,

I was with England AFB in the late 80s, Torreon in the early 90s, Ramstein in the early 90s, Aviano in the mid 90s, and joined the 181st FW here in IN until last week. Went from flightless to intelligence in 2008.

Cool.

Steve

7 hours ago, Finn said:

This one looks like it is South Carolina, click on the pic to see a larger version:

180811-F-JR513-908.JPG

Jari

Interesting. Got two different AIM-9 versions onboard.  Never seen that before.   Anyone know why?  

11bee,

I have no idea why there are two different AIM-9s unless there are limited amounts of the X model so they split up types to give the option to more airframes. I know the X has more capability so maybe it's like having three variables on the air to air option.

10 hours ago, Exgbuloader said:

Steve,

I was with England AFB in the late 80s, Torreon in the early 90s, Ramstein in the early 90s, Aviano in the mid 90s, and joined the 181st FW here in IN until last week. Went from flightless to intelligence in 2008.

Two questions - did you work 88-0401 at TJ? And did you do any deployments to Balad with the Colorado Guard?

Vern

462X0/2W1X0

19 hours ago, Exgbuloader said:

11bee,

I have no idea why there are two different AIM-9s unless there are limited amounts of the X model so they split up types to give the option to more airframes. I know the X has more capability so maybe it's like having three variables on the air to air option.

There are still 9 Mikes in the inventory, so units might carry a mix (depending on the threat) till the 9M stocks are used up.  Don't forget that early in its career the F-16 would fly with a mix of 9Ls and 9Ps till the 9Ps were gone.  The F-15 also did the same with the AIM-120 and AIM-7 till the AIM-7 inventory was used up.  The miracles of the digital data bus.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Hey guys,

I just wanted to post on any other thread than the one for the AMK F-14B. It is refreshing!

Lol, bide your time wisely and you could be the first post of the 100th page!

3 hours ago, Murph said:

The F-15 also did the same with the AIM-120 and AIM-7 till the AIM-7 inventory was used up.

That would be an interesting loadout to model.  Especially to put in front of an IPMS judge...  😉

7 hours ago, habu2 said:

That would be an interesting loadout to model.  Especially to put in front of an IPMS judge...  😉

Last two weeks of Desert Storm: an Eglin jet carrying 2 x AIM-120, 4 x AIM-7, and 2 x AIM-9.  AIM-120s on the inboard wing stations.

lZeH3c8.jpg

Allied Force and the load was 4 x AIM-120, 2 x AIM-7, and 2 x AIM-9.  AIM-120s on outboard wing stations and on the aft fuselage stations.

OSgrRta.jpg

Southern Watch, and again the load was 4 x AIM-120, 2 x AIM-7, and 2 x AIM-9.  AIM-120s are back on the inboard wing stations though and on the aft fuselage stations.  

bLKoXAB.jpg

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
On 8/22/2018 at 7:03 AM, Murph said:

There are still 9 Mikes in the inventory, so units might carry a mix (depending on the threat) till the 9M stocks are used up.  Don't forget that early in its career the F-16 would fly with a mix of 9Ls and 9Ps till the 9Ps were gone.  The F-15 also did the same with the AIM-120 and AIM-7 till the AIM-7 inventory was used up.  The miracles of the digital data bus.

Regards,

Murph

Thanks for the clarification Murph.  Never figured they'd fly with one of each, assumed it would be one or the other.  Or they'd make a point of using the later, more capable missile on an operational mission (which I assume the plane in the pic above is on). Wonder when that pic above was taken?   Unless the 9M added some sort of tactical advantage that the X didn't have?  

Regardless, would make for a somewhat unique load-out for a model. 

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

Thanks for the clarification Murph.  Never figured they'd fly with one of each, assumed it would be one or the other.  Or they'd make a point of using the later, more capable missile on an operational mission (which I assume the plane in the pic above is on). Wonder when that pic above was taken?   Unless the 9M added some sort of tactical advantage that the X didn't have?  

Regardless, would make for a somewhat unique load-out for a model. 

Actually digging further down, the load of AIM-7s could include a mix of AIM-7Fs and AIM-7Ms.  The bottom line is that the older missiles are live rounds, certified for use in anger and are generally expended one of two ways: at WSEP or in combat. By the time the pilot would get around to employing the 9M, he/she would have probably already expended the other three missiles, so it would be a weapon of last resort.  Besides, the 9M is still a very capable, combat proven missile.  The picture in this thread shows an air to ground configured F-16 also with a full air to air load (for that configuration); it doesn't specify where it was, but I doubt it was Afghanistan or Iraq.  Pictures of aircraft flying over those countries show a reduced air to air load. 

Regards,

Murph

On 8/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, habu2 said:

Especially to put in front of an IPMS judge...  😉

Why?  IPMS doesn't judge accuracy, so if you're hoping it would trip them up, you'd be wasting your time.

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Actually digging further down, the load of AIM-7s could include a mix of AIM-7Fs and AIM-7Ms.  The bottom line is that the older missiles are live rounds, certified for use in anger and are generally expended one of two ways: at WSEP or in combat. By the time the pilot would get around to employing the 9M, he/she would have probably already expended the other three missiles, so it would be a weapon of last resort.  Besides, the 9M is still a very capable, combat proven missile.  The picture in this thread shows an air to ground configured F-16 also with a full air to air load (for that configuration); it doesn't specify where it was, but I doubt it was Afghanistan or Iraq.  Pictures of aircraft flying over those countries show a reduced air to air load. 

Regards,

Murph

I’d put good money on Syria.   Always fun to fly in the same airspace with the Russians 🙃

3 hours ago, mrvark said:

11 Aug 2018

Haven't seen pictures of an AIM-9M on a jet in more than a few years.   Interesting to see that missile on a recent operational mission.  

I saw some discussion on something related a while back.  Someone who professed to be "in the know" (obviously take this with a big grain of salt) indicated that the USAF/USN might be forced to use a mix of 9M and 9X missiles because the Syrians (and by default the Russians) had developed a flare that was especially effective in countering the 9X - recall that recent USN engagement where supposedly the Syrian Su-22 spoofed the 9X that was fired at it with a flare. 

This individual said that the older missiles might end up being used since they utilize a different type of seeker that was supposed to be less affected by those flares.    Surely BS but makes for an interesting tale....