Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5F Now Available on eBay!

The Kitty Hawk 1/32 F-5F is available through eBay which means that regular outlets should have them soon if not already. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitty-Hawk-1-32-Tiger-II-F-5F-KH32019-FREE-resin-figures-crew-access-ladder/292740184528?epid=9024072343&hash=item4428acb9d0:g:rt0AAOSw6~Vbp3m~

Pictures came from KitLinx:  https://www.kitlinx.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=KTY32019&title=F-5F-Tiger-II-Fighter-(New-Tool)

KH 132 F5F 01.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

I honestly thought this would get more ogling.   And no, it's not something I'm eagerly awaiting because I can't afford it. 

I'm not  member over at LSP but I would've thought their wordy-word-word-word thread on the F-5 in general would've had these shots included. 

I just find it strange the fickleness of our model crowd.  Whiz *BANG* when the new thing shows up...or is announced...or is offered a correction set...but just as quickly interest wanes or was never there at all to begin with.  

One interesting aspect is that the 1/32 F-5F is the only time this aircraft has been produced in this scale and...I think it harkens well for their upcoming T-38 as the canopy work is done and looks pretty darn good.  I even considered one just to get the canopies and windscreen for my Collect-Aire Talon but again...it's very expensive. 

Still, it looks very excellent.  Was never an F-5 fan in particular but....I wouldn't turn down a ride in one.  I was also hoping that KH would maybe go in for the F-20 but...that's a huge amount of mold work for a plane that never went into production....but...maybe parts of it can be used for a resin job.   Also....might be a great start for an X-29.  F-16 landing gear and some resin carving....sure...piece of cake, right? 

I noticed that too..... lots of talk over at LSP about the KH 32nd scale F-5E/F, but not much of anything here. Mostly 48th scale folks here I suspect. Me?? I'm all over the E and F in particular! I've waited 20+ years for an F, and will be ordering four as soon as they come out! As for the canopy on the F-5F and T-38, they're similar, but different. Look closely, and you'll see what I mean. Fred K.

8 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

I honestly thought this would get more ogling.  

I think the lack of interest may be due more to the manufacturer rather than the subject....

7 hours ago, f5guy said:

I noticed that too..... lots of talk over at LSP about the KH 32nd scale F-5E/F, but not much of anything here. Mostly 48th scale folks here I suspect. Me?? I'm all over the E and F in particular! I've waited 20+ years for an F, and will be ordering four as soon as they come out! As for the canopy on the F-5F and T-38, they're similar, but different. Look closely, and you'll see what I mean. Fred K.

Thanks, Fred,

I know the two machines bear close family resemblance and I once tried to modify the Hasegawa F-5 into a T-38 which is where I first learned of the dimensional differences but decided to try and fake it anyway but gave up due to moves/job-changes, etc.  I learned the fuselage was more deep to accomodate the bigger engines and the vertical stab was bigger as were the horizontal stabs.  That it shared its wind-tunnel carved shape was more an attribute to the validity of the design than production cost considerations, I suppose but the fuselage was entirely different, thus making it impossible to create a truly accurate 1/32 T-38 from that kit without some intense surgery. 

But for the life of me I cannot see the difference in the canopies between the F-5B/F and the T-38.   My assumption (uh-oh...he said it) is that Northrop would've used then-existing hardware to make an F-5 two seater but.....I am told the fuselage is wider than the T-38.  I know better than to compare model kits in 1/48 scale to get any comparison.  However, I don't have any tech data to see just how different they are.   Got any colored drawings with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what they're about?

Just the same, I guess the low interest might be due to it being a Kitty Hawk kit.  But they seemed to have made a better effort on this one...not a shake & bake kit and not Tamiya levels of insanity and I hear the cockpit floor is too shallow being the biggest issue.   I guess that renders it entirely unbuildable and should therefore be thrown in the trash direct from the mailbox upon delivery. 

If KH does not do a T-38, I might still use these canopies anyhow.  If they DO make a T-38, I'd be interested to see if they make the molds from the F-5F canopies for their Talon....because, even though they SHOULD...they may not see the differences...just as I don't. 

Please, point them out.  You won't hurt my feelings.

Hi VADM,

I once tried to convert a couple of Hasegawa 32nd F-5E's into an F. I even managed to get a hold of  a Collect-Air T-38 canopy for the project. If you have a Wolfpack 48th T-38 kit, compare the canopy to that in an F kit, or drawings in a Detail & Scale book. In the end I gave up on it because I couldn't get the canopy to look right. Its just too different. I'm between houses at the moment, and all of my models and references are buried in the basement, so I'm going from memory, which is always a bit dicey with me. I do recall that the rear half of the canopy of the F was noticeably longer than the 38. Also, the front windscreen is quite different. In the end, I'm glad that the project failed because I would have put a ton of time into it, and it still wouldn't have looked nearly as good as the KH kit! 

Its been my experience that the F-5 just doesn't get much love. If it had been flown by the Germans or Japanese during WWII, or was a "Teen" fighter, we'd have 50 different excellent models of it, but noooo.... 🙄 It took a long time to finally get a great model of it in 48th scale. Thank you AFV!! Now KH has come to the rescue in 32nd scale with a kit, that while not perfect, is accurate shape-wise, and quite detailed, and totally build-able. Unfortunately for those of us who build in 72nd scale, there still isn't a good kit of the Tiger 40 years after the prototype first flew......🤬 FWIW, Fred. K.

9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Yea, but just try to find one... :bandhead2:

I almost forgot..... Academy released the AFV kit as a KF-5E earlier this year. They were all over ebay. You might do a search there. HTH, Fred K.

1 minute ago, f5guy said:

I almost forgot..... Academy released the AFV kit as a KF-5E earlier this year. They were all over ebay. You might do a search there. HTH, Fred K.

Yup.... still there! $40 shipped from South Korea ;0) Fred K.

That is pretty nice. I love how clear the canopies are.

You know I really had no interest in the big scale F-5 series but seeing this I am hesitating now. I love two seaters and I think an aggressor scheme on this model would be super. It will not even be that big in 1/32nd. For sure smaller than an F-4.

Now you have to wonder if Kitty Hawk will continue with the F-5. I would love to be able to do a 1/32nd CAF CF-5A.

3 hours ago, f5guy said:

Didn't know that was the AFV kit. Thanks!