A new 1/32 Tamiya F-14A/B/D Tomcat to end all debate and frustrations

All, 

Sharing my LSP campaign here as well after all the Tomcat 48-discussions...Having researched and read the various threads of different forums and having seen the sheer beauty of the new Tamiya F-14A and D Tomcat in 1/48 scale (http://www.hyperscale.com/2017/features/f14atamiya48dwa_1.htm ; http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303452-148-tamiya-f-14d/&page=10 ) 

it is time to ask / petition Tamiya for a new 1/32 scale Tomcat. It would be a perfect occasion when Top Gun 2 comes out next year (July 2019) for Tamiya to present an upscaled version of the 1/48 Tomcat in 1/32 scale.

It is rather incredible we still have to battle (serious battle) intakes, scribing, adding a cockpit, change the landing gear, wheels etc…We should stop buying the old molds (that are moldy J) and ask Tamiya to fill the gap. 

Just to cite a remark that underlines the problems with other kits such as the Trumpeter one (and I add some links to discussions as well) from our master (if I may say so) modeller, Mark:

“The intakes aren't the problem Jim although sanding them left my workroom cloudy like a Chinese opium den.  I don't have any trust in the kit parts and trying to mark out and scribe on to the engine shrouds which are not only round but taper from front to back was the last straw.â€

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68014&page=3

I had to roll over the floor reading about the Chinese opium den, but it is true. You sand your behind off to try to get to an acceptable result and then still it feels wrong…(yes I have the kit too!).

Another thread: Tamiya vs. Revell vs. Trumpeter… 

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68783&page=1

Tamiya has the best shape, but it is not up to the 1/48 standard (or more correct: the Tamiya standard of today). 

That you can kick the old Tamiya into shape has been shown by a few of us. An example of blood, sweat and tears to get it right…and not everyone has this skill level or patience for that matter (chapeau Kai Wolters!!): 

http://www.combatedgeproductions.com/scalemodeling/f-14/inprogress/f-14_inprogress.htm

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=6194

So, I already send a message to TAMIYA USA and made the suggestion. It may help even more if we all drop them a line and ask for an upscaled 48 Tomcat in 32. It was one of their first big planes in plastic and 2019 could be a good occasion (2020 also by the way J as I believe it hit the market in 1980?, so 40 years ago). It would bring a lot of modellers hours of construction pleasure and save a lot of money on all the aftermarket sets (some will still be helpful! J). So let,s start a campaign :) :m0152:

ps: the last entry of a brilliant builder that transformed the Tamiya 32-kit: http://www.sweety-model.ch/index.php/maquettes?id=76

According to my source in the "know", Mr. Tamiya only makes/ releases what HE wants to release. If he hears of any info that gets leaked before he's ready to release it, he pulls the plug on it.

You may to tread lightly here before you step on someone's toes.

Steve

Nice idea and I would love to see a new tool Tamiya F-14A in 1/30-tooth scale but I believe their gnashers are firmly in the 1/48 groove for at least five years. After, maybe, a new 1/48 Ki-100 or bubble top Ki-61 it would be great to see some companions for the new Tomcats, such as a definitive LTV A-7E SLUF. 

Actually, I'd most like Tamiya to make new tool 1/48 scale "Century Series in Japan", focusing on the F-102A, RF-101C and F-105D/F at Misawa, Yokota etc in the 1960s. Then a 1/32 RF-4EJ recce Phantom, which I know will never happen, sadly.

The 1/32 Trumpy Cat looks okay with the Zacto inlets, and there's all kinds of other, additional AM to buy and drive you nuts. 

Tony

2 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

According to my source in the "know", Mr. Tamiya only makes/ releases what HE wants to release. If he hears of any info that gets leaked before he's ready to release it, he pulls the plug on it.

Steve

that's why Mr Smartmiya has never released a P&W engined F-16C/A and a freaking two seater in 1/72?

Luigi

On 8/22/2018 at 11:54 AM, A-10 LOADER said:

Steve

Huh? He's trying to petition Tamiya to consider a 1/32 F-14. He is in no way, shape or form divulging some sort of trade secret from within Tamiya. No one's toes are being stepped on and there isn't a need to "tread lightly".  

I’ll sign that petition.  Although I have 2 of the Black knights Tomacts in the stash I’d put them out to pasture if Tamiya ever releases a new mould 1/32 F-14.  

I’m sure it won’t happen though.

Edited by galileo1

When did Tamiya release a new 1/32nd kit? I think it was the Mosquito right? So maybe it is time and the next subject should be a jet? It would be a good seller I think if you could afford it. Upwards of $200 maybe? I remember when their first F-14 came out in 1/32nd. It looked great until you started to look closer. Decals in the cockpits and only half scribed. I think this was to keep the price point down.

If this does happen I would think the 1/32nd jet guys would be over the moon. Me, not so much as I am a 1/48th guy but I would be happy for you.

20 minutes ago, galfa said:

Given the new Top Gun coming next year, a new Super Hornet it seems to me way more probable than a new Tomcat...

Yeah probably but the research and design is already done for the Tomcat in 1/48th.

19 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

When did Tamiya release a new 1/32nd kit? I think it was the Mosquito right? So maybe it is time and the next subject should be a jet? It would be a good seller I think if you could afford it. Upwards of $200 maybe? I remember when their first F-14 came out in 1/32nd. It looked great until you started to look closer. Decals in the cockpits and only half scribed. I think this was to keep the price point down.

If this does happen I would think the 1/32nd jet guys would be over the moon. Me, not so much as I am a 1/48th guy but I would be happy for you.

actually it was the F4u1D Corsair if memory is right. Personally, I would love to see Tamiya do a super duper hi-tech A4c in 1/32 to make John smile. 

gary

On 8/27/2018 at 2:22 AM, skyhawk174 said:

Yeah probably but the research and design is already done for the Tomcat in 1/48th.

exactly! Easier money, less R&D. Anyway, we’ll see. Would be great if and when it happens...