*build stopped until further notice * Restoring the Italeri 1/48 UH-1H to "Danger Pig" Arnold 347

Hello friends
I am restoring this Huey, it was built back in 2008 just plain and simple when I first join the ARC..
now is the time to give her a new life first I work on the Cowling and seat, making the armor plates and the riel so they can move back and forward

kNULcjP.jpg

WeOG88r.jpg

some picture of the progress

CX1Itlr.jpg

Vi36cBS.jpg

9qJTwZk.jpg

lV1BJCR.jpgseats

Ft6H3p3.jpg

rOYjvhy.jpg

lV1BJCR.jpg

2Pmih87.jpg

NOT GLUE YET

vfZ3Vma.jpg

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
  • CharlieUH-1H changed the title to Italeri 1/48 UH-1H FAS 205

While the upper framework on the cockpit roof may look OK, it is inaccurate as it should go up into the roof.  The frame should not be any lower than the ceiling that is covered with soundproofing.  By coming down into the cabin, you have reduced the ceiling level by about 12 scale inches.

Fuselage%20Structure%20Typical%205-4.jpg

1cbf36161138a14db92ecf19381313d1.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
33 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

While the upper framework on the cockpit roof may look OK, it is inaccurate as it should go up into the roof.  The frame should not be any lower than the ceiling that is covered with soundproofing.  By coming down into the cabin, you have reduced the ceiling level by about 12 scale inches.

Thanks for the information,

But once I put the gas tank I order from  Northwest Helicopters and get some JetA if the 1/48 model  I am restoring get to fly.. I fix the roof.

17 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Show us the one you did on yours man. 

I haven't done a Huey ceiling w/o soundproofing.  Not that I couldn't, just haven't.  If you would like to see my credentials, just look at my work at the link below.  I have done all sorts of extensive conversion/scratch work up to and including full vehicles.

If you don't want constructive criticism on your work, please state so and some of us just won't comment on it.  You will get plenty of "atta boys" from others.

Charlie,

This is a great start on scratch building, I like it. Your roof is looking sharp. Keep at it and dont worry about the 12 scale inches right now and stay focused on your vision.

Gino,

I understand the desire to help with accuracy but I think it will help us better if you would demonstrate on how to achieve the correction on 12 scale inches, I would like to learn about that scale reduction thing. Share with us.

Oliver

3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

I haven't done a Huey ceiling w/o soundproofing.  Not that I couldn't, just haven't.  If you would like to see my credentials, just look at my work at the link below.  I have done all sorts of extensive conversion/scratch work up to and including full vehicles.

If you don't want constructive criticism on your work, please state so and some of us just won't comment on it.  You will get plenty of "atta boys" from others.

Gino, I don't think he was upset, I just think he was interested in seeing what you had done.

17 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Gino, I don't think he was upset, I just think he was interested in seeing what you had done.

If that is the case, I apologize.  It was not the way I read it at the time.

I understand the desire to help with accuracy but I think it will help us better if you would demonstrate on how to achieve the correction on 12 scale inches, I would like to learn about that scale reduction thing. Share with us.

My point is that the support structures should not go below the current ceiling that is in the kit, but up into the area above the flat ceiling; into the area above the cabin.  By building the roof support structures below the current padded ceiling in the kit, he has lost about 12 inches of internal space in the cabin.  His work looks to be about 1/4 inch below the padded ceiling.  In 1/48 (1 inch = 48" or 4 feet) this translates to roughly 12 scale inches of lost height in the cabin.  Hope that makes sense.

Edited by HeavyArty
2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

If that is the case, I apologize.  It was not the way I read it at the time.

My point is that the support structures should not go below the current ceiling that is in the kit, but up into the area above the flat ceiling; into the area above the cabin.  By building the roof support structures below the current padded ceiling in the kit, he has lost about 12 inches of internal space in the cabin.  His work looks to be about 1/4 inch below the padded ceiling.  In 1/48 (1 inch = 48" or 4 feet) this translates to roughly 12 scale inches of lost height in the cabin.  Hope that makes sense.

It does make sense..Thanks

Oliver

Great work Charlie!  

Well GIno, since you are so concerned about accuracy, let's check out some of your Hueys as you invited us to do above.  Here's your IDF Anafa build,

IMG_0608_zps7xoquoxh.jpg

The stinger on this bird is WAAY off.  It does not attach directly to the end of the tailboom and it should be at a much lower angle.  You can see the correct position and angle on the USAF UH-1N from the National Museum of Naval Aviation archives.

Image may contain: sky, airplane, outdoor and nature

IMG_0575_zpsdenh4r9z.jpg

This is UH-1D/H instrument panel, the correct UH-1N/212 panel has a complete set of instruments on both sides like the one i photographed below at the USS Alabama.

39947222_724102461259739_5954285691281080320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bdc2900c85403e29c187a2c26f7e8b41&oe=5BFBF144

Your 57th Med Vietnam build.

UH-1HDustOffHuey107.jpg

This is the wrong hoist for a Vietnam era Huey.  Here is the correct one.  From the Army Aviation Museum archives:

21037976_10155556279284098_1000940523_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=387e8a0d94b8756d96bc7f64aa4bd25b&oe=5B84CC1A

Your WSMR UH-1 build.

UH-1HWSMRSARHuey022.jpg

Once again, the stinger is incorrect.  Her's the real deal from Clyde Seel.  You will also note the position light on the end of the tailboom which is missing in your build.

Image may contain: airplane

You also are missing some details such as the OAT guage and the windshield wiper stops on the front.Plus the strake goes beside the left chin bubble not the right one.

UH-1HWSMRSARHuey010.jpg

Here's a UH-1H from Dan McClinton that shows these issues pretty well.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Trust me there's more.  One can only conclude you either don't know as much about Hueys as you think or rivet level accuracy only matters if it's someone else's build!  I but I bet you think I'm a jerk, don't you.  You know what, you're right!   Call this a cautionary tale.  My suggestion, build more, critique less!  Oh and if you really want, you can do this with EVERY one of my builds too.  My builds are certainly not without a lot of faults.  I try to remember the first commandment of modeling though, HAVE FUN!  Unless of course pointing out everyone else's faults is fun for you.  If so, achievement unlocked!

Ray

Edited by rotorwash

All good points Ray.  I said I strive for accuracy, I don't always reach it either.  I offered a constructive criticism.  I am not demanding he, nor anyone else follow them.  If we don't give advice on how to improve our models (constructive criticism), what is the point of this forum.  To me anyways, constant "atta boys" does nothing to help anyone improve.  To each their own though.

23 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

All good points Ray.  I said I strive for accuracy, I don't always reach it either.  I offered a constructive criticism.  I am not demanding he, nor anyone else follow them.  If we don't give advice on how to improve our models (constructive criticism), what is the point of this forum.  To me anyways, constant "atta boys" does nothing to help anyone improve.  To each their own though.

I would say temper the "constructive criricism" with just a little more "Atta Boy" but that's just me.  Also, in my opinion the point of the forum is to motivate my fellow rotorheads and myself to BUILD MORE MODELS!  The forums have inspired me to build more and better that's for sure.  I seriously doubt anyone posts stuff JUST for the criticism.  If they do, they are way better than me!

Ray

30 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Gino, sometimes it's about tact. A quick PM or even I see some possible issues in a post. Let me know if you want to know. Wait to see if he posts in the critic board. Let the builder decide if they want to improve on this build. Most times folks will continue and learn on the next build. Their choice in this hobby.

You said he was work was ok and inaccurate. All the good knowledge was lost before you got to the information. Not a good way to influence people. It's his hobby to enjoy how he wants too. 

11 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Gino,

You miss the boat every time my friend. I feel "attaboys" encourages people to try new things and then they can hopefully push themselves to new levels with their modeling skills. Here's some constructive criticism; nobody asks for your opinion most of the time and yet it's always given anyway in the guise of  "accuracy and/or constructive criticism".  We got the game and its getting old. Maybe, when growing up and learning how to interact with people you should have gotten more "attaboys". IDK? Either way stop being an A#% to everybody. Enough.

I am sorry I hurt everybody sensitive feelings.  You guys really need to grow a little thicker skins.  Oh by the way, everyone's a winner and everybody's builds are awesome.  Does that make all of you feel better?  Up to this point, I haven't been an A$$ to anyone.  I'm done posting about this, you guys can go on whining all you want.

Edited by HeavyArty
1 minute ago, HeavyArty said:

I am sorry I hurt everybody sensitive feelings.  You guys really need to grow a little thicker skins.  Oh by the way, everyone's a winner and everybody's builds are awesome.  Does that make all of you feel better?  I'm done posting about this, you guys can go on whining all you want.

Oh boohoo. Then go ahead and pick up  your toys and go. Dont let the door hit you in the A@%.

Oliver

• CharlieUH-1H changed the title to *build stopped until further notice * Restoring the Italeri 1/48 UH-1H to "Danger Pig" Arnold 347