*build stopped until further notice * Restoring the Italeri 1/48 UH-1H to "Danger Pig" Arnold 347

Yes, back to modeling.  The pic of the ceiling structure looks really nice.  I didn't see that one when I was looking for examples.  That pic should give you all you all you need if you decide to model it.

1 minute ago, HeavyArty said:

Yes, back to modeling.  The pic of the ceiling structure looks really nice.  I didn't see that one when I was looking for examples.  That pic should give you all you all you need if you decide to model it.

That's because it's from the Jay Miller Bell archives I scanned a while back, Gino.  I should have put that in the post.  I always try to identify the source of my references.  Some things just can't be Googled!

Ray

58 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

I am sorry I hurt everybody sensitive feelings.  You guys really need to grow a little thicker skins.  Oh by the way, everyone's a winner and everybody's builds are awesome.  Does that make all of you feel better?  Up to this point, I haven't been an A$$ to anyone.  I'm done posting about this, you guys can go on whining all you want.

One might say hobby growth and personal growth can be painted with the same brush. 

Oliver, If you change your setting or clean out your inbox so you can receive messages, we can continue this discussion about the finer points of "atta boys" vs "constructive criticism" off-line.  I tried sending you a message and it says you can't receive any.

29 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Oliver, If you change your setting or clean out your inbox so you can receive messages, we can continue this discussion about the finer points of "atta boys" vs "constructive criticism" off-line.  I tried sending you a message and it says you can't receive any.

I am not interested in continuing this conversation offline . 

Oliver

So be it.  I'll propose it here then.  Since we will never agree on modeling; a truce.  You don't comment on my posts, I won't comment on yours.  We each ignore the other.

Edited by HeavyArty

I propose that, since this is the first time I've seen bickering of any sort on the helo modeling thread, we all just throttle back a bit.  

I have always expected to see a back and forth on the WWII stuff, or anything fixed wing related.  Never here though.

Honestly, this is one of the only forums in my internet lifetime that I've seen almost uniform appreciation for someone else's work.  I suck at modeling.  But, I've seen people applaud amazing builds here, and applaud builds that I wouldn't put pics up of.

So, bury this crap.  Don't make me start putting up pics of crappy models that I would build.  I'll promise to use Elmer's glue and Gorrilla brand duct tape.

3 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

So be it.  I'll propose it here then.  Since we will never agree on modeling; a truce.  You don't comment on my posts, I won't comment on yours.  We each ignore the other.

Go ahead  do what you want, I'll do what i want. 

Oliver

I really didn’t want this to end like this friends... 

lest just build more and let everyone be happy or mad with the work they do.. like I said Gino when you talk about what I did with the “M4” on the black hawk.. this is my therapy to combat depression and believe me I dont give a single (bad word) of what people say.. notice that all my reply to you are with a taste of fun.. 

Ray thanks for the pictures 

Oliver keep tha awesome work 

and all of the other keep modeling have fun

have a good one. 

Edited by CharlieUH-1H
18 hours ago, rotorwash said:

Great work Charlie!  

Well GIno, since you are so concerned about accuracy, let's check out some of your Hueys as you invited us to do above.  Here's your IDF Anafa build,

IMG_0608_zps7xoquoxh.jpg

The stinger on this bird is WAAY off.  It does not attach directly to the end of the tailboom and it should be at a much lower angle.  You can see the correct position and angle on the USAF UH-1N from the National Museum of Naval Aviation archives.

Image may contain: sky, airplane, outdoor and nature

IMG_0575_zpsdenh4r9z.jpg

This is UH-1D/H instrument panel, the correct UH-1N/212 panel has a complete set of instruments on both sides like the one i photographed below at the USS Alabama.

39947222_724102461259739_5954285691281080320_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bdc2900c85403e29c187a2c26f7e8b41&oe=5BFBF144

Your 57th Med Vietnam build.

UH-1HDustOffHuey107.jpg

This is the wrong hoist for a Vietnam era Huey.  Here is the correct one.  From the Army Aviation Museum archives:

21037976_10155556279284098_1000940523_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=387e8a0d94b8756d96bc7f64aa4bd25b&oe=5B84CC1A

Your WSMR UH-1 build.

UH-1HWSMRSARHuey022.jpg

Once again, the stinger is incorrect.  Her's the real deal from Clyde Seel.  You will also note the position light on the end of the tailboom which is missing in your build.

Image may contain: airplane

You also are missing some details such as the OAT guage and the windshield wiper stops on the front.Plus the strake goes beside the left chin bubble not the right one.

UH-1HWSMRSARHuey010.jpg

Here's a UH-1H from Dan McClinton that shows these issues pretty well.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature

Trust me there's more.  One can only conclude you either don't know as much about Hueys as you think or rivet level accuracy only matters if it's someone else's build!  I but I bet you think I'm a jerk, don't you.  You know what, you're right!   Call this a cautionary tale.  My suggestion, build more, critique less!  Oh and if you really want, you can do this with EVERY one of my builds too.  My builds are certainly not without a lot of faults.  I try to remember the first commandment of modeling though, HAVE FUN!  Unless of course pointing out everyone else's faults is fun for you.  If so, achievement unlocked!

Ray

There are many more but this is a good start.  I personally don’t think Gino’s ever been near a Huey. 

Best at post I’ve read in the 10 years I’ve been on ARC.  Well done Ray. 

33 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Like I said...

Good luck with the modeling Gino.   If you need some references from folks that have been near the real thing, please ask away.  Lots of good resources in this forum.  

Look forward to seeing your next project!  

1 hour ago, rotorwash said:

I believe she did, Charlie.  I can ask Dan Mclinton.  He took the pics and painted the artwork.

Ray

Thanks Ray, she is gorgeous! , if you get to ask Dan, please let me know,.. Ill like to do this lady..

what is the arnold figure? a dog? or what?

23 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

Charlie can you send me some of your motivation?? I will happily pay for the shipping..

hahahah Shipping cost is a Kitty Hawk Huey lol

my motivation is deal and fight this depression that pills cant fight and believe it or not scratch build does..

4 hours ago, rotorwash said:

I believe she did, Charlie.  I can ask Dan Mclinton.  He took the pics and painted the artwork.

Ray

I think all the US Army Hueys deployed down there had the toilet bowl fitted.    Interesting that those markings were painted.  I figured just a quick chalk job by a bored crew chief.  

Edited by 11bee
54 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I think all the US Army Hueys deployed down there had the toilet bowl fitted.    Interesting that those markings were painted.  I figured just a quick chalk job by a bored crew chief.  

My bad, John.  He did put it on with chalk.  Here's a closeup of the artwork from Dan McClinton from 1991:

Image may contain: outdoor

5 minutes ago, rotorwash said:

My bad, John.  He did put it on with chalk.  Here's a closeup of the artwork from Dan McClinton from 1991:

He's quite the artist! Coulda made some decent money doing custom nose-art for the other helos in his unit. 

• CharlieUH-1H changed the title to *build stopped until further notice * Restoring the Italeri 1/48 UH-1H to "Danger Pig" Arnold 347